[alt.sources.wanted] mortgage program

bonl1@CFSMO.HONEYWELL.COM (Boniface Lee #1) (01/03/91)

Does anyone has a source program for mortgage payment calculations?  I like
to run it on my IBM PC...please e-mail the program...thanks!

Boniface Lee (bonl1@cfsmo.honeywell.com)
Honeywell Commercial Flight Systems - Minneapolis Operations
(612) 785-4629

sushrut@ee.rochester.edu (Sushrut Mehta) (01/04/91)

In article <9101022144.AA13152@hp370b.CFSMO.Honeywell.COM> bonl1@CFSMO.HONEYWELL.COM (Boniface Lee #1) writes:

>Does anyone has a source program for mortgage payment calculations?  I like
>to run it on my IBM PC...please e-mail the program...thanks!
>

>Boniface Lee (bonl1@cfsmo.honeywell.com)
>Honeywell Commercial Flight Systems - Minneapolis Operations
>(612) 785-4629

Me too, please.  Thanx.

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (01/04/91)

>Does anyone has a source program for mortgage payment calculations?  I like
>to run it on my IBM PC...please e-mail the program...thanks!

Well, I make a habit of deriving the formula every so often - not on the net
before, so here goes:

P=principal, n=number of payments, i=interest, x=payment:

month Principal Interest  payment new Principal
1     P         iP        x       P+iP-x
2     P-iP+x    i(P+iP+x) x       P+iP-x+i(P+iP-x)-x
                iP+(i**2)P-ix     P+2iP+(i**2)P-ix-2x
3     P+2iP+(i**2)P-ix-2x
                iP+2(i**2)P+(i**3)P-(i**2)x-2ix
                                  P+3iP+3(i**2)P+(i**3)P-(i**2)x-3ix-3x
                                  P(1+i)**3-((i**3)x+3i(**2)x+3ix)/i
                                  P(1+i)**3-((i**3)x+3i(**2)x+3ix+x - x)/i
                                  P(1+i)**3-((i+1)**3) - 1)x/i

and unless you misbelieve the patterns,
to set "new Principal" to zero after n
months, we have to set
P(1+i)**n=((i+1)**n) - 1)x/i
and
x = Pi((1+i)**n)/(((1+i)**n) - 1)
which can be further reduced, by means of
such modern tools as pencil and paper, to

x=Pi(1/(1-(1/(1+i)**n)))

in order to only make one exponentiation.

Well, I didn't write the program for you (I usually just
use a pocket calculator) but the only thorny problem is
really the one:  given the monthly payment I can afford
and the price/interest-rate I am facing, how long will
it take to make to payoff?

as x=Pi((1+i)**n)/(1 - (1+i)**n)
   x - x(1+i)**n = Pi(1+i)**n
   x=(Pi+x)(1+i)**n
   x/(Pi+x)=(1+i)**n
   n=(log(x/(Pi+x)))/log(1+i)

Now maybe if I get really ambitious I will put together
a little bit of scanf() and printf() and...nah.
--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long Live the Usenet!

carl@p4tustin.UUCP (Carl W. Bergerson) (01/04/91)

In article <9101022144.AA13152@hp370b.CFSMO.Honeywell.COM> bonl1@CFSMO.HONEYWELL.COM (Boniface Lee #1) writes:

>Does anyone has a source program for mortgage payment calculations?  I like
>to run it on my IBM PC...please e-mail the program...thanks!

At the risk of being the bizillionth responder, have you tried
MORTGAGE.BAS? This program has been included with every MS/PC DOS
release that I have used.
--
Carl Bergerson                                           uunet!p4tustin!carl
Point 4 Data Corporation                                     carl@point4.com

simon@castle.ed.ac.uk (Simon Brown) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan04.112213.5193@chinet.chi.il.us> laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>>Does anyone has a source program for mortgage payment calculations?  I like
>>to run it on my IBM PC...please e-mail the program...thanks!
>
>Well, I make a habit of deriving the formula every so often - not on the net
>before, so here goes:
>
>P=principal, n=number of payments, i=interest, x=payment:

(etc)

But remember not to try this one in Britain, where the interest rate increases
every few months and throws all your calculations down the sewer...

Simon Brown                                                   simon@meiko.co.uk
Meiko Scientific Ltd.                                         simon@uk.ac.ed
(Edinburgh Office, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre)

jog@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Rajeev Jog) (01/08/91)

> / hpcupt1:alt.sources.wanted / laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) /  3:22 am  Jan  4, 1991 /
> >Does anyone has a source program for mortgage payment calculations?  I like
> >to run it on my IBM PC...please e-mail the program...thanks!
>
> Well, I make a habit of deriving the formula every so often - not on the net
> before, so here goes:
>
> P=principal, n=number of payments, i=interest, x=payment:
>
> really the one:  given the monthly payment I can afford
> and the price/interest-rate I am facing, how long will
> it take to make to payoff?
>
> as x=Pi((1+i)**n)/(1 - (1+i)**n)
>    x - x(1+i)**n = Pi(1+i)**n
>    x=(Pi+x)(1+i)**n
>    x/(Pi+x)=(1+i)**n
>    n=(log(x/(Pi+x)))/log(1+i)
>
> Now maybe if I get really ambitious I will put together
> a little bit of scanf() and printf() and...nah.
> --
> Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
> Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long Live the Usenet!

Might help to try all the scanf(), and printf() and actually use it;
For all positive x, P, and i, the formula
	n= (log (x / (Pi+x)) ) /  log(1+i)
above yields a negative numerator and a positive denominator, hence a
negative number of payments.  I wish the same were true of my mortgage.

Rajeev Jog
Hardware Systems Performance                * voice :   +1 408 447 0220
Hewlett-Packard                             * e-mail:   jog@hpda.cup.HP.COM
19447 Pruneridge Avenue, MS 42LX            *           jog%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM
Cupertino, CA. 95014-9974  USA              * fax   :   +1 408 447 4907