[net.columbia] Sixty Cents a Pound?

fred@inuxc.UUCP (Fred Mendenhall) (11/08/84)

	I heard the end of a segment on NPR this morning where
someone was making the following claim:

	It costs about  $1000.00 to accelerate a pound of material
	to escape velocity today. However if we were to switch to
	electromagnetic launchers (mass drivers?) the cost of
	electricity required to accelerate a pound of material to
	escape velocity would be $0.65.

	I have no idea who was talking, but the economics, if they are
even close to being right , are interesting. Do these numbers sound
reasonable to the space wizards on the net or are they science fiction.
What are the problems with electromagnet launches, i.e. payloads must
be designed to withstand 3000000G and must be launched in a restricted
direction, etc.etc.?

					Fred Mendenhall

eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) (11/12/84)

> 	I heard the end of a segment on NPR this morning where
>
> 	to escape velocity today. However if we were to switch to
> 	electromagnetic launchers (mass drivers?) the cost of
> 	electricity required to accelerate a pound of material to
> 	escape velocity would be $0.65.
>
>     Do these numbers sound
> reasonable to the space wizards on the net or are they science fiction.
> What are the problems with electromagnet launches, i.e. payloads must
> be designed to withstand 3000000G and must be launched in a restricted
> direction, etc.etc.?
> 					Fred Mendenhall

     The velocity for circular orbit at 296 km (the nominal Shuttle orbit)
is 7728 meters/second.  The kinetic energy of a payload moving at this
velocity is (1/2)(mass*velocity*velocity).  If you divide by mass, you have
per kilogram energy requirements.  This is 29.861 MJ/kg.  Now add the
potential energy of raising a kilogram from ground to 296km, which is
(acceleration of gravity*height)= 2.903 MJ/kg.  Total is 32.764 MJ/kg.
One kiloWatt-hour(kWh)= 3.6 MJ, so we have 9.1 kWh/kg.  Around here
(Pacific Northwest), electric rates are 3.5 cents/kWh, so that's 32
cents/kg, or 14 cents/pound.  Since you have drag losses going through
the atmosphere, inefficiencies in the accelerator, and payments on the
money you borrowed to build the accelerator, 65 cents/lb is in the
right ballpark.  Note that to make it pay off, you need to have a lot
of traffic.  An acclelerator is like an oil pipeline, efficient but
high volume.

     As for acceleration required, a=(velocity*velocity)/(2*distance).
So if you have 20000 meters to accelerate in (as in the west slope of
Hawaii Island) and you want a muzzle velocity of 6000 meters/second,
which is 3/4 orbital velocity, then a=900 m/s*s= 92 g's.  You can use
a small rocket to make up the remaining velocity to orbit.  Going at
less than orbital velocity reduces the drag problem, and launching off
Hawaii gets you up to 12000 feet at the muzzle, which helps because
you skip the thickest part of the atmosphere.  To further reduce air
drag, you make your vehicle long and thin, like a telephone pole.

Dani Eder / Boeing Aerospace Company / ssc-vax!eder / (206)773-4545

menageri@mit-eddie.UUCP (The Menagerie) (11/13/84)

menageri@mit-eddie.UUCP (The Menagerie) (11/14/84)

In article <1062@inuxc.UUCP> fred@inuxc.UUCP (Fred Mendenhall) writes:

>	I heard the end of a segment on NPR this morning where
>someone was making the following claim:
>
>	It costs about  $1000.00 to accelerate a pound of material
>	to escape velocity today. However if we were to switch to
>	electromagnetic launchers (mass drivers?) the cost of
>	electricity required to accelerate a pound of material to
>	escape velocity would be $0.65.
>
>	I have no idea who was talking, but the economics, if they are
>even close to being right , are interesting. Do these numbers sound
>reasonable to the space wizards on the net or are they science fiction.
>What are the problems with electromagnet launches, i.e. payloads must
>be designed to withstand 3000000G and must be launched in a restricted
>direction, etc.etc.?
>

>					Fred Mendenhall

the figure of about $.60/lb is accurate for the cost of the electricity
alone, but will not pay for the necessary machinery to make it work.
studies have been done, however, that indicate that it could be
practical to build an EM launcher IF we want to send large masses of
material into space (thousands of tons per year for several years). an
article by henry kolm, peter mongeau, and fred williams, then of the
francis bitter national magnet lab here at mit gives the following
numbers:(actually calculated by peter mongeau and presented at the
annual propulsion meeting of the american institute of aeronautics and
astronautics in las vegas in june 1979)

initial velocity		12.3 kilometers/sec
final velocity			11 km/s (escape velocity)
vehicle mass 			1000 kg
ablation loss (carbon nose)	3%
acceleration			1000 gee
accelerator length		7.8 km (4.85 mi)
average power (for 1.26 s)	60 gigawatts (6e10 watts)

the costs for the launcher were listed as:

accelerator:
	cu drive coils ($4/lb, 1.4 million lbs)		5.6 M$

	steel restraining shell
	($4/lb, 4.2 Mlb)			       16.4 M$

	reinforced concrete foundation
	(4 cu. yards/meter, $50/cu. yd, 31,000 cu.
	yds)							1.2 M$
						      _________
						       23.6 M$

energy storage costs:

	fast discharge units including switching
	at $0.15/joule for 76 gigajoules (the initial
	kinetic energy of the projectile)		11.4 G$

operating cost:

	100 GJ/launch at $.05/kW-hr		   $1400/launch
						    (about $.63/lb)

amortization schedule

	$12,000,000,000 loan at 5% over 20 year
	write-off				   $1 billion/yr

	at $10/lb launching fee, 121 launches/day are required, or one
launch every 12 minutes.

as an example, building one solar power satellite per year would take
about 200 launches per day (~75,000 tons per year) if all materials
weere to come from the earth.

the above was proposed as a reference design only. it is possible to
scale the launcher to fit other design goals, if you want. here are some
relationships (from basic physics, so they are the ideal case, season to
taste depending on how optimistic you are):

acceleration	a = v**2/2l

force		F = mv**2/2l

energy 		U = mv**2/2

duration	t = 2l/v

power
	average	P = mv**3/2

	maximum	P = mv**3

where
m = mass
v = launch velocity
l = launcher length
these assume a constant acceleration launcher

as you could tell from some of the numbers above, the launcher is going
to be BIG and thus won't move, thus restricting our choice of initial
orbits. it is of course possible to put rockets on each payload to move
it into another orbit, but i am not sure if this is practical (i'm not
an aero/astro major.) if it isn't, i'd be happy to be told this.

it has been suggested that the launcher be built on an east-facing slope
of a mountain near the pacific intertie in northern california (the
largest existing dc power line in the us.) this suggests the use of one
or more of the following mountains for the site of the launcher:

name		height		distance to intertie
hood		11,325 ft	30 mi
whitney		14,500		50
st helens	 9,670(?)	70	[i don't think so - gem]
shasta		14,162	       120
lassen		10,457		90
ingall		 8,370		70

a bit of history before i leave: the first EM launcher to have been
built seems to have been professor edwin northrup's (then of princeton
university) in 1937. it threw projectiles across the princeton campus.

the germans apparently built one to launch guided missles, but because
it used induction badly, the missles melted from current induced in
their skin before they reached usable velocities.

arthur c. clarke first proposed using EM launchers for space
applications in 1950, and robert heinlein used them in his stories "The
Man Who Sold The Moon" and "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" (1951 and
1968)

i have more information from a class in EM launchers that i took last
year, if anyone is interested, and i have the time.

					greg

usenet:		!genrad!mit-eddie!menagerie
arpanet:	i'm not sure to this account, but
		g.mcmullan%mit-eecs@mit-mc should work, i'm told.
		(that is better for me, as i log on there more often)
us mail:	500 memorial drive
		cambridge, ma, 02139
phone:		(617) 225-8942 (good luck!)

ps i'm sorry about the bad try. i'm new here, please bear with me.
thanks.

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (11/20/84)

> 	I heard the end of a segment on NPR this morning where
> someone was making the following claim:
>
> 	It costs about  $1000.00 to accelerate a pound of material
> 	to escape velocity today. However if we were to switch to
> 	electromagnetic launchers (mass drivers?) the cost of
> 	electricity required to accelerate a pound of material to
> 	escape velocity would be $0.65.
>
> 	I have no idea who was talking, but the economics, if they are
> even close to being right , are interesting. Do these numbers sound
> reasonable to the space wizards on the net or are they science fiction.
> What are the problems with electromagnet launches, i.e. payloads must
> be designed to withstand 3000000G and must be launched in a restricted
> direction, etc.etc.?
>

> 					Fred Mendenhall

I don't know the exact figures, but the cost of fuel for the shuttle is also
very small per pound of payload.  The bulk of the cost of space systems is
in the engineering and manufacture, not fuel.