[alt.sources.wanted] Scheduling/routing people movement algorithm/application

gander@ecst.csuchico.edu (Gerald W Anderson) (01/16/91)

I would like to locate a program or an algorithm that would help
solve the following problem:
A local organization that works with the developmentally disabled
provides transportation for 400 people every day.  This results
in 70,000 miles driven every month.  The people are taken to twenty
(20) locations according to a schedule of supported services.  The
names and addresses are in a constant state of change, as are the
destinations for each day's activities.  One person is currently
handling the weekly scheduling task.  The number one need is to
find the scheduling...algorithm.
They have INFORMIX installed.

ooms@delgeo.UUCP (Frank Ooms) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan16.010254.11964@ecst.csuchico.edu> gander@ecst.csuchico.edu (Gerald W Anderson) writes:
>I would like to locate a program or an algorithm that would help
>solve the following problem:
>A local organization that works with the developmentally disabled
>provides transportation for 400 people every day.  This results
>in 70,000 miles driven every month.  The people are taken to twenty
>(20) locations according to a schedule of supported services.  The
>names and addresses are in a constant state of change, as are the
>destinations for each day's activities.  One person is currently
>handling the weekly scheduling task.  The number one need is to
>find the scheduling...algorithm.
>They have INFORMIX installed.

This problem is known as the 'Traveling Salesman Problem'. This may
give you a handle to search the literature for solutions. A couple of
sources that I know of are:

Algorithms,
	Robert Sedgewick, Addison-Wesley Publishing co., 1983

Numerical recipes,
	William H. Press e.a., Cambridge University Press, 1986

This last book provides source code.

I have not had this particular problem, but we have used many
algorithms from both books with success.

Good luck,

----- News saved at 16 Jan 91 07:35:55 GMT
In article <1991Jan16.010254.11964@ecst.csuchico.edu> gander@ecst.csuchico.edu (Gerald W Anderson) writes:
>I would like to locate a program or an algorithm that would help
>solve the following problem:
>A local organization that works with the developmentally disabled
>provides transportation for 400 people every day.  This results
>in 70,000 miles driven every month.  The people are taken to twenty
>(20) locations according to a schedule of supported services.  The
>names and addresses are in a constant state of change, as are the
>destinations for each day's activities.  One person is currently
>handling the weekly scheduling task.  The number one need is to
>find the scheduling...algorithm.
>They have INFORMIX installed.

This problem is known as the 'Traveling Salesman Problem'. This may
give you a handle to search the literature for solutions. A couple of
sources that I know of are:

Algorithms,
	Robert Sedgewick,
	Addison-Wesley Publishing co.,
	1983

Numerical recipes,
	William H. Press e.a.,
	Cambridge University Press,
	1986

This last book provides source code listings to help in implementing a
solution.

--
	/*	    Frank Ooms,   +31 15-621554			*
	 *	      ooms%delgeo@nluug.nl			*