[alt.sources.wanted] Wanted: Simple text editor on Unix for non-unix types.

root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) (01/31/91)

Just wondering if anyone knows of any [free] simple text editors for Unix
which I could give to my non-Unix users.  Ed, vi, crisp and emacs are
not terribly intuitive...

Ideally, I'd like to give them something which wraps words at the end of
each line, uses the cursor keys on the keyboard (if they exist), runs
on large numbers of terminals (ie. doesn't assume function keys)
and maybe even has half the screen used up by help info on the commands.
Nothing terribly complex.

Anyone have/know of such a beast.  What do other sysprogs do? Give their
users a vi or emacs manual??  :)

/\ndy
--
Andrew M. Jones,  Systems Programmer, 	Internet: andy@lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au
Centre for Lang. Teaching & Research, 	Phone (Australia):  (07) 365 6915

"No matter what hits the fan, it's never distributed evenly....."

In article <1991Jan31.032646.13509@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU> root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:
> Anyone have/know of such a beast.  What do other sysprogs do? Give their
> users a vi or emacs manual??  :)

We use a copy of the original semi-tutorial guide to "vi" by Bill Joy. I
wish all UNIX systems came with this document instead of AT&T's cookbook
version that never quite makes the point of vi visible.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

joshi@cs.uiuc.edu (Anil Joshi) (02/01/91)

root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:

>Just wondering if anyone knows of any [free] simple text editors for Unix
>which I could give to my non-Unix users.  Ed, vi, crisp and emacs are
>not terribly intuitive...

Right you are. They are not only not intuitive, they are not made professionally
IMHO. The best thing to do would be to write an editor with which they are
comfortable with on UNIX.

>Anyone have/know of such a beast.  What do other sysprogs do? Give their
>users a vi or emacs manual??  :)

This is the sure fire way to getting lynched. Didn't you follow the discussion
about the site which had wordstar, ISPF and vi and the users wanted to make vi
look like either wordstar or ISPF? The knee jerk response of the vi bigots is
that "Tell your users to go to he**". I don't see anybody here making any
constructive suggestions.
Best of luck.

Anil Joshi(joshi@cs.uiuc.edu)

>"No matter what hits the fan, it's never distributed evenly....."
--
"Whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves.  If what
we are now has been the result of our own past actions,then it certainly follows

andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.032646.13509@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU> root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:

>	...about wanting a word processor for UNIX...
>
>Anyone have/know of such a beast.  What do other sysprogs do? Give their
>users a vi or emacs manual??  :)
>
>/\ndy
>--
>Andrew M. Jones,  Systems Programmer, 	Internet: andy@lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au
>Centre for Lang. Teaching & Research, 	Phone (Australia):  (07) 365 6915
>University of Queensland,  St. Lucia, 	Phone (World):    +61  7 365 6915
>Brisbane,  Qld. AUSTRALIA  4072 	Fax: 		  +61  7 365 7077

You should see the user guides that come with desktop SparcStation's
these days (at least IPC's and SLC's). In some sections they explain
in full detail how to copy a file and then tell the user to run vi
to edit it! They're assuming the poor person has no knowledge of cp
but dump them into vi with no mercy (to make it worse this is in
the section on re-configuring the kernel!).

--
Andrew Newman, Software Engineer.            | Net:   andy@research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone: +61 2 805 2914

steve@chopin.udel.edu (Steve Singles) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.032646.13509@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU> root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:
>Just wondering if anyone knows of any [free] simple text editors for Unix
>which I could give to my non-Unix users.  Ed, vi, crisp and emacs are
>not terribly intuitive...
>
>Ideally, I'd like to give them something which wraps words at the end of
>each line, uses the cursor keys on the keyboard (if they exist), runs
>on large numbers of terminals (ie. doesn't assume function keys)
>and maybe even has half the screen used up by help info on the commands.
>Nothing terribly complex.

    "Simped" came through alt.sources last July.  I have never used it,
so I really don't know any more about it than what the header says (I've
appended the header below.  If you can't reach the author, I'd be willing
to mail it to you.
					Steve Singles
					steve@brahms.udel.edu

it1@ra.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (02/01/91)

In <1991Jan31.191449.21610@cs.uiuc.edu> joshi@cs.uiuc.edu (Anil Joshi) writes:
>root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:
[lines deleted]

>This is the sure fire way to getting lynched. Didn't you follow the discussion
>about the site which had wordstar, ISPF and vi and the users wanted to make vi
>look like either wordstar or ISPF? The knee jerk response of the vi bigots is
>that "Tell your users to go to he**". I don't see anybody here making any
>constructive suggestions.
>Best of luck.

  I suggested dte by e.mail..  I figure this subject has been beaten to
death already.  DTE is a wordstar clone, BTW.  (and I don't want to hear any
comments about wordstar not being intuitive either.. I don't care..  I
swear by WordPerfect, Qedit and VI...  Two of which are probably the
most non-intuitive editors in the world..)

--
  I have lots of common sense.  I just choose to ignore it. <Calvin>

tin@szebra.uucp (Tin Le) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Jan31.221010.1199@research.canon.oz.au> andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) writes:

>You should see the user guides that come with desktop SparcStation's
>these days (at least IPC's and SLC's). In some sections they explain
>in full detail how to copy a file and then tell the user to run vi
>to edit it! They're assuming the poor person has no knowledge of cp
>but dump them into vi with no mercy (to make it worse this is in
>the section on re-configuring the kernel!).

   Ahem!  What are "they" doing re-configuring the kernel when they
   don't know what the hell they are doing?  Or do you really allow
   new users to also setup and configure a system straight from the
   box too?  :)

   I admire that attitude, yeah, throw them into the fire, how else
   are they going to learn? :) :)

-- Tin
--

+-----------------------------------------------------------------

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (02/13/91)

In <1991Feb4.053951.7722@szebra.uucp> tin@szebra.uucp (Tin Le) writes:

>In article <1991Jan31.221010.1199@research.canon.oz.au> andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) writes:
>>
>>You should see the user guides that come with desktop SparcStation's
>>these days (at least IPC's and SLC's). In some sections they explain
>>in full detail how to copy a file and then tell the user to run vi
>>to edit it! They're assuming the poor person has no knowledge of cp
>>but dump them into vi with no mercy (to make it worse this is in
>>the section on re-configuring the kernel!).

>   Ahem!  What are "they" doing re-configuring the kernel when they
>   don't know what the hell they are doing?

Flame on: (I've seen this done before, but this is my first try, so be nice)
You arogant bastard! Hacker lowlife scum! Ethnocentric, egocentric,
POOP! What in the HELL does knowledge of (for G-Ds sake) vi, have to
do with re-configuring the kernel? I've suffered with this D**MNED EXCUSE
for an editor since they put me on this system, and it STINKS!
I've done kernel programming, and am quite capable of understanding the
purposes and effects of most of the parameters, and I see no relation
WHATSOEVER to what editor I happen to be using. You toad.
Flame off.

Martin (real computers only have one address space) Golding