[alt.sources.wanted] PC-to-UNIX communications help needed

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (02/27/91)

	Hi, Netters.  I'm going to be working on a project that involves
a PC dialing up a UNIX system, getting some information, and then logging
off and processing the info.  The information could be small (< 5K) or
large (> 2-5M).  Does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?
Or any source code that would have helpful examples?  Any info will be
greatly appreciated.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>
          gordon@cerl.cecer.army.mil       #include <clever_saying.h>

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (02/28/91)

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

>	Hi, Netters.  I'm going to be working on a project that involves
>a PC dialing up a UNIX system, getting some information, and then logging
>off and processing the info.  The information could be small (< 5K) or
>large (> 2-5M).  Does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?
>Or any source code that would have helpful examples?  Any info will be
>greatly appreciated.

It seems to me that almost every commercial and shareware PC/DOS comm
package I've seen has a programming language that would permit this,
including spawning the process to process the information.  Has anyone
done this using one of the packages?  Several have demos that do interesting
stuff (like DynaComm demonstrates its DDE capabilities by letting you play
games).
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :