[alt.sources.wanted] Berkeley Strings?

brown@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Kevin Brown) (03/02/91)

I'm looking for the source to the Berkeley UNIX utility called "strings".
It is used to find ascii strings inside a binary file.

Any Help?

Thanks
Kevin Brown
brown@hpbsm15.boi.hp.com

In article <16330003@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com>, brown@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Kevin Brown) writes:
|> I'm looking for the source to the Berkeley UNIX utility called "strings".
|> It is used to find ascii strings inside a binary file.

  Well, you could check the bsd-sources directory on uunet.uu.net before
posting a question about bsd sources to the entire world.

  In particular, I believe you will find everything you want in the
directory /bsd-sources/pgrm/strings on uunet.uu.net.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

vojta@spam.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.025840.26111@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <16330003@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com>, brown@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Kevin Brown) writes:
>|> I'm looking for the source to the Berkeley UNIX utility called "strings".
>|> It is used to find ascii strings inside a binary file.
>
>  Well, you could check the bsd-sources directory on uunet.uu.net before
>posting a question about bsd sources to the entire world.

You might also check comp.sources.misc/volume7/nstrings.bsd.Z on uunet for
an independent version.

If everybody knew where everything was, then there would be no need for this
newsgroup.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

In article <1991Mar5.025840.26111@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   Well, you could check the bsd-sources directory on uunet.uu.net before
> posting a question about bsd sources to the entire world.

Don't be so harsh. There's no FAQ here, and some unenlightened souls
don't know about uunet.

>   In particular, I believe you will find everything you want in the
> directory /bsd-sources/pgrm/strings on uunet.uu.net.

This is almost certainly false. The 4.3-Reno Makefiles are unusable, the
include files are nonexistent, the syscalls are obsolete, etc. It is
much easier to get sources from gatekeeper.dec.com unless you're
actually running a 4.3-Reno system.

---Dan