[alt.sources.wanted] WANTED model-2 compression sources from DDJ

jc@cs.kun.nl (Jan Christiaan van Winkel) (03/18/91)

Hello netters,

I am looking for ways to obtain the sources (in machine-readable form)
for arithmetic coding that were described in Docter Dobb's Journal,
feb. 1991, pages 16-29 and 106-108.

Yes, I know, I can obtain the sources on disk from DDJ by sending a $15 check,
or by calling some 1-800 number. However, have you ever tried to send a
check from Europe to the US? It will cost you about $40. And calling
1-800 numbers from Europe won't work either. CompuServe or M&T Telepath
access (the last alternative) is hard to do from here too.

So: Is anybody with those sources willing to mail me them?
Please mail me at: jc@atcmp.nl

Thanks!
Jan Christiaan van Winkel
jc@atcmp.nl

v@snitor.UUCP (Vincent Szaloky) (03/20/91)

In article <2867@wn1.sci.kun.nl> jc@atcmp.nl writes:
>Hello netters,
>
>I am looking for ways to obtain the sources (in machine-readable form)
>for arithmetic coding that were described in Docter Dobb's Journal,
>feb. 1991, pages 16-29 and 106-108.

Me too please. I have had no success in trying to order the disks from DDJ! :-(
--
Vincent F. Szaloky          Tel:  416-496-8510 x172	   S I E M E N S
2235 Sheppard Ave. E.       Fax:  416-496-8524		   =============

pgut1@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (PeterClaus Gutmann ) (03/20/91)

In <2867@wn1.sci.kun.nl> jc@cs.kun.nl (Jan Christiaan van Winkel) writes:

>Hello netters,

>I am looking for ways to obtain the sources (in machine-readable form)
>for arithmetic coding that were described in Docter Dobb's Journal,
>feb. 1991, pages 16-29 and 106-108.

If anyone has a copy of this could you send me one as well (the Feb DDJ will
probably reach New Zealand in July some time).  Come to think of it, what's
appeared in DDJ in terms of compression stuff recently?  I know about the
compression competition (and I'm still waiting for *that* issue to arrive as
well), but I don't know of anything else.

If you reply, please *don't* send mail to this address - it will never
arrive.  Instead, send it to Peter_Gutmann@kcbbs.gen.nz - thanks.

Peter.
--
New administrater uofa.

jvb7u@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) (03/23/91)

In article <jucgqg0pt@snitor.uucp> v@snitor.UUCP (Vincent Szaloky) writes:
#In article <2867@wn1.sci.kun.nl> jc@atcmp.nl writes:
#>Hello netters,
#>
#>I am looking for ways to obtain the sources (in machine-readable form)
#>for arithmetic coding that were described in Docter Dobb's Journal,
#>feb. 1991, pages 16-29 and 106-108.

The code from DDJ usually shows up on wmsr-simtel.army.mil.  However,
it usually takes a month or three, if you can wait that long ;`)

Jon
--
Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia