[alt.sources.wanted] UNIX tele-communications program???

routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) (04/03/91)

Is there a PD telecommunications prgm (similar to Telix for MS-DOS) which
runs on unix?  I would like Kermit, ZMODEM support and a minimal terminal
emulation (v100 or something).  Also, some form of modem dialing capability
(for a modem hooked to the Unix machine).
--
Kevin Routh (routh@rtp.semi.harris.com)
Harris Corporation, Durham, NC

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.170834.1054@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
"Is there a PD telecommunications prgm (similar to Telix for MS-DOS) which
"runs on unix?  I would like Kermit, ZMODEM support and a minimal terminal
"emulation (v100 or something).  Also, some form of modem dialing capability
"(for a modem hooked to the Unix machine).

you want pcomm (current version 1.2.10); a procomm clone expressly for
unix.  it's available on osu-cis and fine ftp sites everywhere (tm).

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.113800.1346@cbnews.att.com> mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) writes:
>In article <1991Apr2.170834.1054@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
>"Is there a PD telecommunications prgm (similar to Telix for MS-DOS) which
>"runs on unix?  I would like Kermit, ZMODEM support and a minimal terminal
>"emulation (v100 or something).  Also, some form of modem dialing capability
>"(for a modem hooked to the Unix machine).
>
>you want pcomm (current version 1.2.10); a procomm clone expressly for
>unix.  it's available on osu-cis and fine ftp sites everywhere (tm).

Try ECU 3 available from uunet.uu.net/comp.sources.misc dir.  Check newer
volumns first for the src and patches.  It was written specifically for SCO
386 Xenix and UNIX, but some people already contributed ISC patches.  So with
some effort, I imagine you can port it to other flavors of 386 Unices or even
SysV UNIX running on big systems.  It's really feature rich and comes with
nice docs too.  It has all things you want.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

spel@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dr. E.W. Lisse) (04/05/91)

In <1991Apr4.061547.26618@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.113800.1346@cbnews.att.com> mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr2.170834.1054@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
>>"Is there a PD telecommunications prgm (similar to Telix for MS-DOS) which
>>"runs on unix?  I would like Kermit, ZMODEM support and a minimal terminal
>>"emulation (v100 or something).  Also, some form of modem dialing capability
>>"(for a modem hooked to the Unix machine).
>>
>>you want pcomm (current version 1.2.10); a procomm clone expressly for
>>unix.  it's available on osu-cis and fine ftp sites everywhere (tm).
>>
>Try ECU 3 available from uunet.uu.net/comp.sources.misc dir.  Check newer
>volumns first for the src and patches.  It was written specifically for SCO
>386 Xenix and UNIX, but some people already contributed ISC patches.  So with
>some effort, I imagine you can port it to other flavors of 386 Unices or even
>SysV UNIX running on big systems.  It's really feature rich and comes with
>nice docs too.  It has all things you want.

I am busy translating the docs from nroff into LaTeX. Actually tr2tex
has done this but I must still hack up all the tables and stuff and make
it a bit nicer :-)-O

Beeing busy in the hospital I don't work on it every day (or week) for
that matter. I have promised the author wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US that I
am working on it so he will also prod me once in  a while.

ecu looks VERY complete!

regards, el

ps: please if someone ports it, notify the author!
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse       (spel@hippo.ru.ac.ZA)
Katatura State Hospital     (formerly extel@quagga.ru.ac.za)