[alt.sources.wanted] NNTP Parser Wanted == Non-Ethernet!

chanel@mensa.usc.edu (chanel summers) (04/09/91)

I'm looking for an MSDOS or Windows application which will allow the reading
and posting of NNTP News items.  I'd like to know if a program exists which
allows the user to download mail items from a remote server (over a standard
modem rather than via Ethernet) and read, reply or post to the groups.

I know about WinQVTNet and Snuz but both require a network connection.  I'd
like to find something that works like TapCIS or QuickMail/SLMR.

Chanel

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/09/91)

>I know about WinQVTNet and Snuz but both require a network connection.  I'd
>like to find something that works like TapCIS or QuickMail/SLMR.

WinQVT/NET does support SLIP (Serial Line IP). Problem of course is
how does one go about getting a SLIP connection??? Does it work over
a modem? How does SLIP work?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

leoh@sirius.Berkeley.EDU (Leo Hinds) (04/10/91)

> WinQVT/NET does support SLIP (Serial Line IP). Problem of course is
> how does one go about getting a SLIP connection??? Does it work over
> a modem? How does SLIP work?

WinQVT/net *REQUIRES* the use of the Clarkson packet drivers.  The
packet drivers support
SLIP (read the packet driver info for more details ... I do not use slip).

--
leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n

mtang@sgi.com (Man Kit Tang) (04/11/91)

In article <3008@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@sirius.Berkeley.EDU (Leo Hinds) writes:
>> WinQVT/NET does support SLIP (Serial Line IP). Problem of course is
>> how does one go about getting a SLIP connection??? Does it work over
>> a modem? How does SLIP work?
>
>WinQVT/net *REQUIRES* the use of the Clarkson packet drivers.  The
>packet drivers support
>SLIP (read the packet driver info for more details ... I do not use slip).

Does anyone know how I can get the Clarkson SLIP packet driver to run over
a telephone line through a modem ?  To be specific - how can I dial into the
remote SLIP machine in the first place ?  I like to run WinQVT/NET with the
Clarkson SLIP packet driver over a modem/telephone line to communicate to a
UNIX workstation that also has SLIP support.  Any helps, suggestions will
be appreciate.

-mkt

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/11/91)

>> WinQVT/NET does support SLIP (Serial Line IP). Problem of course is
>> how does one go about getting a SLIP connection??? Does it work over
>> a modem? How does SLIP work?

>WinQVT/net *REQUIRES* the use of the Clarkson packet drivers.  The
>packet drivers support
>SLIP (read the packet driver info for more details ... I do not use slip).

Well, I don't know what exactly constitues a "Clarkson
driver", but the driver shipped with my WD card works
fine. I don't see how you could use a driver for an
ethernet or token ring card (which is what the Clarkson
drivers are) with  a serial line (which is what SLIP
is). Is there a serial device driver included with the
Clarkson drivers?

rhys@cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (04/11/91)

In <1991Apr11.013633.22596@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>Well, I don't know what exactly constitues a "Clarkson
>driver", but the driver shipped with my WD card works
>fine. I don't see how you could use a driver for an
>ethernet or token ring card (which is what the Clarkson
>drivers are) with  a serial line (which is what SLIP
>is). Is there a serial device driver included with the
>Clarkson drivers?

There are various "kinds" of packet drivers - ethernet, token ring, etc and
amongst these are serial line drivers (e.g. SLIP8250) that include all the
necessary code to send IP packets over a serial line.  The purpose of the
Clarkson drivers is to provide an IP packet transmission interface which is
"reasonably generic" across various hardware and transmission media types.
SLIP8250 is the SLIP driver you are looking for, and is available on
"sun.soe.clarkson.edu" or on SIMTEL20, together with all the other drivers.

Rhys.

+=====================+==================================+
||  Rhys Weatherley   |  The University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!            ||
+=====================+==================================+

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (04/12/91)

In article <31777@usc>, chanel@mensa.usc.edu (chanel summers) writes:
%% I'm looking for an MSDOS or Windows application which will allow the reading
%% and posting of NNTP News items.  I'd like to know if a program exists which
%% allows the user to download mail items from a remote server (over a standard
%% modem rather than via Ethernet) and read, reply or post to the groups.
%%
%% I know about WinQVTNet and Snuz but both require a network connection.  I'd
%% like to find something that works like TapCIS or QuickMail/SLMR.

There is something called WinVN, downloadable from clvax1.cl.msu.edu.
It works under Win 3.0. It uses either PC/TCP sockets or a serial line
to a NNTP server. You get the complete sources.

The problem is that when it starts, it supposes a connexion to NNTP is
already there (on the serial line), and has no provision for dialing
and telneting to nntp. That could have been added since the time I looked
at this software.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX