[alt.sources.wanted] Wanted: Control simulator package for teaching

butler@splvx1.csc.ti.com (04/15/91)

I am looking for a simulation package to demonstrate control concepts
to a group of individuals without a control background.
I would like the package(s) to:

(1) use only one SISO loop for addressing simple issues, like
    time constants, gain, tuning, etc.  Simple level control
    would be wonderful.

(2) Have a pair of SISO loops which exhibit steady-state coupling
    and can use a decoupler.

(3) Be relatively inexpensive.

I have Tankspill and it is a good package.  However, it has two
loops which display Dynamic coupling, but not steady-state.  It
also may be a little complicated for objective (1) {remember,
these individuals have no control background.}

Please e-mail responses and I will post results.

Steph
Stephanie Watts Butler     butler@crdecf.csc.ti.com
Texas Instruments          usual disclaimers apply

vaidyana@lips2.ecn.purdue.edu (Ramaswamy Vaidyanathan) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr15.103143.549@splvx1.csc.ti.com>, butler@splvx1.csc.ti.com writes:
> I am looking for a simulation package to demonstrate control concepts
> to a group of individuals without a control background.
> I would like the package(s) to:
>
> (1) use only one SISO loop for addressing simple issues, like
>     time constants, gain, tuning, etc.  Simple level control
>     would be wonderful.
>
> (2) Have a pair of SISO loops which exhibit steady-state coupling
>     and can use a decoupler.
>
> (3) Be relatively inexpensive.
>

> I have Tankspill and it is a good package.  However, it has two
> loops which display Dynamic coupling, but not steady-state.  It
> also may be a little complicated for objective (1) {remember,
> these individuals have no control background.}
>
> Please e-mail responses and I will post results.
>

> Steph
> Stephanie Watts Butler     butler@crdecf.csc.ti.com
> Texas Instruments          usual disclaimers apply

A series of control simulations has been developed at Purdue Chem Engineering using IBM's control system software called ACS.

The experiments involve a process furnace - christened the 'Purdue Furnace'!
There are 2 outputs to be controlled: the outlet temperature of the process
stream and the oxygen composition in the stack gas.  There are 2 manipulated
variables - the fuel oil flowrate and the air intake rate.

Various control configurations can be implemented in the process.  You can
do both steady state and dynamic experiments, open or closed loop.

I believe Purdue Chem E licenses this application.  You can contact the
School at 317 - 494 - 4075.

Hope this information was useful.