[alt.sources.wanted] Astronomy software

steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve Rooke) (05/08/91)

I have a friend who is a keen amateur astronomer.  He is looking for
any leads to astronomy based software.  I have already found 'Starchart'
for him but wondered if there are any other package available.

Thanks
Steve
--
Steve Rooke  steve@gapos.bt.co.uk  (...mcsun!ukc!gapos!steve)  UK + 394 693595
BT, CS/OPSE, Area 106, Anzani House,  |  Live to Hack -

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/09/91)

In article <steve.673704892@azh01> steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve Rooke) writes:
>I have a friend who is a keen amateur astronomer.  He is looking for
>any leads to astronomy based software.  I have already found 'Starchart'
>for him but wondered if there are any other package available.
:

Have you taken a look at the /pc/astronomy directory at
garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives.  (Email if you need the
instructions for doing that).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May9.102615.14569@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <steve.673704892@azh01> steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve Rooke) writes:
>>I have a friend who is a keen amateur astronomer.  He is looking for
>>any leads to astronomy based software.  I have already found 'Starchart'
>>for him but wondered if there are any other package available.

If Starchart is the program I'm thinking of (make cool postscript charts
of a portion of the sky), it's great!

I also used a program called "ephem" that was posted to
comp.sources.something last year...works nicely on unix boxes...

                         Vince Skahan
 vince@atc.boeing.com                  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince
 (place in heaven assured...I finished my 3-yr-old's swing set)