[net.columbia] Shuttle Project?

al@abnji.UUCP (a. florey) (01/09/85)

We have a question for anyone who might know the answer:

A teacher friend of ours asked us for ideas for a project for the
shuttle/teacher program.  She is a music teacher.  Any ideas?

The idea requires originality, creativity, and communication skills.  Use
of the cargo bay or EVAs are not allowed.

Help!

fetrow@entropy.UUCP (David Fetrow) (01/11/85)

> A teacher friend of ours asked us for ideas for a project for the
> shuttle/teacher program.  She is a music teacher.  Any ideas?
 There is but one possibility: develop an insturment that is light,
compact, and REQUIRES WEIGHTLESSNESS to play. Some guy out in Florida
builds underwater insturments; perhaps he'd have some ideas for the
details.
	Dave Fetrow
  Archaic Computers Users Group
{microsof,fluke,tektroniks}!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow

peterb@pbear.UUCP (01/15/85)

Also another possiblity is to develop an instrument that requires
VACUUM to operate correctly (Can you imagine the sustains from an
electric guitar in vacuum?)

chumphre@uok.UUCP (01/23/85)

 The sustains on an electric guitar are affected
mainly by the tension of the string, and the
strength of the pole-pieces of its pickups.

peterb@pbear.UUCP (01/29/85)

	Air is the predominate factor involved in deadening the string (this
is larger than the heat dissipated by amperage created from Lenz'z law by the
pickup, and also string flex).

One way to increse the sustain is for guitarists to use feedback from an
amplifier(acoustic) to increase the sustain.   Another is the use of loopback
equipment (such as delays and tape echos to 'sample/hold' the note.

	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
is removed, and the sutain is much longer.

						Peter Barada
						ima!pbear!peterb

richard@bigtuna.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (02/06/85)

> 	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
> is removed, and the sutain is much longer.

Sustain of what?  No air -- no sound.
--
Richard Foulk		(..islenet!bigtuna!richard)
Honolulu, Hawaii

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/08/85)

> > 	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
> > is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
> >

> Sustain of what?  No air -- no sound.
> --
> Richard Foulk		(..islenet!bigtuna!richard)
> Honolulu, Hawaii

I believe the original discussion was about electric guitars,
which need no air to produce sound. ( At least the guitar needs
no air, it helps if the speaker is put where there is air )

Mike @ AMDCAD

bytebug@pertec.UUCP (roger long) (02/08/85)

> I believe the original discussion was about electric guitars,
> which need no air to produce sound. ( At least the guitar needs
> no air, it helps if the speaker is put where there is air )
>
> Mike @ AMDCAD

Okay...  but wouldn't it also help if the person *playing* the
guitar had some air?  I can just see one of the astronauts
suiting up and playing an electric guitar out in the cargo bay.
--
	roger long
	pertec computer corp

kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) (02/09/85)

*
Electric guitars' sound is picked up by magnetic transducers on the body of
the guitar; that's why electric guitars have steel strings, rather than
gut ones. This effect will work perfectly well in the absence of air,
and is the reason that this makes an interesting experiment
for a music teacher to try out in space (well, >sort of< interesting...)

-Kieran A. Carroll
...decvax!utzoo!kcarroll

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/09/85)

In article <628@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:

>> > 	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
>> > is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
>> >

>> Sustain of what?  No air -- no sound.
>> --
>> Richard Foulk		(..islenet!bigtuna!richard)
>> Honolulu, Hawaii
>
>I believe the original discussion was about electric guitars,
>which need no air to produce sound. ( At least the guitar needs
>no air, it helps if the speaker is put where there is air )
>
>Mike @ AMDCAD

perhaps i am missing something really obvious, but don't electric guitars
have pickups that are effectively mini-microphones?  if so, then
air is definitely needed.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/11/85)

> > 	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
> > is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
> >

> Sustain of what?  No air -- no sound.

Sustain of vibration.  It still vibrates.

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (02/11/85)

> 	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
> is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
>
> 						Peter Barada
> 						ima!pbear!peterb

I believe this should read, "If the string is played in vacuum, then the
medium for the sound waves is removed and the sustain is zero, as it never
gets to pickup."

-Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

peterb@pbear.UUCP (02/12/85)

>>       but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
>> is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
>>

>Sustain of what?  No air -- no sound.
>--
>Richard Foulk           (..islenet!bigtuna!richard)

	Its an electric guitar, so it doesn't need air to create sound.
	(use an amp)

Peter Barada            ima!pbear!peterb

Re: "if it's in a vacuum, how can you call it sustain?"  --Easy: whoever
said you couldn't use an inductive pickup?  (Well OK that *will* damp the
vibration eventually, but...)

Can we just forget this whole topic?
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (02/13/85)

> > 	but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
> > is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
> >

> I believe this should read, "If the string is played in vacuum, then the
> medium for the sound waves is removed and the sustain is zero, as it never
> gets to pickup."

I think the original was in the context of an *ELECTRIC* guitar or
some such, where the pickup is magnetic anyway.  The string still
vibrates, the mag pickup still works, the sustain of the vibrations
will be longer, the tone might even change...

Why not try something where a magnetic pickup us used to 'listen to space'
or some such by picking up ambiant  mag  fields?

peterb@pbear.UUCP (02/14/85)

>>       but if the string is played in vacuum, then the friction of the air
>> is removed, and the sutain is much longer.
>>
>>                                               Peter Barada
>>                                               ima!pbear!peterb
>
>I believe this should read, "If the string is played in vacuum, then the
>medium for the sound waves is removed and the sustain is zero, as it never
>gets to pickup."
>
>-Chuck
>
>--
>{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\
>        {qantel,idi}-> !intelca!cem
> {ucbvax,hao}!hplabs/

	The original premise was that if an ELECTRIC guitar (or other
stringed instrument) is played in a vacuum then the dampening effect
caused by air molocules is removed thereby increasing the sustain level.

	This applies for other instruments as well (such as:

	tubular bells,
	pianos,
	violins,
	cellos,
	xylophones,
	etc....

						Peter Barada
						ima!pbear!peterb

mlm@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Michael Mauldin) (02/17/85)

Enough about guitar strings in space!!!

1. Yes, you can play an electric guitar in space.
2. Sure, it might be interesting to hear the difference of the sustains
   in a vacuum, but
3. IT CAN BE DONE ON THE GROUND IN A VACUUM CHAMBER!!!

To REALLY interest NASA in a shuttle project, you have to pick something
that can be done cheaper in space than on the ground.  Weightlessness
should have little or no effect on a guitar string.

Michael L. Mauldin (Fuzzy)		Department of Computer Science
Mauldin@CMU-CS-CAD.ARPA			Carnegie-Mellon University
(412) 578-3065				Pittsburgh, PA  15213

brent@phoenix.UUCP (Brent P. Callahan) (02/20/85)

>Enough about guitar strings in space!!!
>
>1. Yes, you can play an electric guitar in space.
>2. Sure, it might be interesting to hear the difference of the sustains
>   in a vacuum, but
>3. IT CAN BE DONE ON THE GROUND IN A VACUUM CHAMBER!!!

       But what about the acoustics of the chamber ?

--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ