[alt.sources.wanted] Writing a data-base...

nelson@wrl.epi.com (Ken Nelson) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.213947.5328@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, andy@honda.ece.uiuc.edu (Andy Bereson) writes:
> I need to write a simple database manager for a large database.  We have
> tried dBase but have decided that it (and PC's in general) are too
> unreliable, so we are now looking for a way to do this with a UNIX based
> system on one of our HP workstations.  I have writen a such a database
> system before in C, but under the VMS operating system.  VMS gives the C
> programmer access to a number of exciting functions that can handle
> indexing files, random access of files, deleting and editing records in
> the middle of files, locking individual records within files, etc...  all
> of the function that a data-base package such as dBase gives you.
> Unfortunatly, these functions were all built into VMS and are VMS
> specific.  I am wondering if there is some UNIX based package or UNIX
> library that would be helpful with some of these file manipulation tasks.
>
> Please mail responses directly to me at "bereson@cs.uiuc.edu".  I do not
> read this newsgroup regularly and so I am likely to miss your helpful
> suggestions otherwise.
>
> Thanx in advance for your help...
>
> Andy

We are in the same boat.  I found that all of the 4GL vendors
wanted an arm and a leg for their products. Below is a summary
of "lower cost" solutions to the problem.

Public Domain/Net sources:

 - dbm (ndbm) (gdbm)  -  Unix quick file look up routines.
			 dbm, ndbm come with most Unixes.
			 gdbm is GNU dbm.  The main problem
			 with [ng]dbm is that it doesn't support
			 sequenced lookup of data, it's basically
			 a fast lookup from a key.

 - various archives (postgres@berkeley.edu) for instance have

     ingres89.tar.Z       - University Ingres
			    take a look at embedded quel.
     postgresv2.1.tar.Z   - Postgres relational db.  Nice features
			    including a C library interface.
			    Too bad it caused my 4/280 to crash.
     bsd_database.tar.Z   - a set different access mechanisims
			    for storing data to disk. I believe
			    it has btree, avl, etc...

     I recommend trying the archie@cs.mcgill.ca archive listing
     server to look for source for these.

Commercial:

  - Raima offers   dbVista (Networked database), dbFile (ISAM)
    3k to 14k for source.

  - Faircom offers  CTREE, DTREE, RTREE.
    I had trouble with this package at my last job.
    2k to 6k for source

  - Informix offers C-ISAM
    Price unknown, check Unixworld for companies selling clones of
    this package.

  - Recital offers full dbase IV compatability along with a C
    library to manipulate Dbase format indexes and files.  We chose
    this because we could implement OpenLook interface tools with
    the C library, and do quick and dirty reporting with Dbase language
    and tools.
    4 to 6k for full Dbase environment plus development library.
    You have to buy runtimes for your users.

   - Cdb from Jaybe Software is an inexpensive package with a
     lot of features.  Call (602) 327-2299.  I almost got this
     one, but we weren't that strapped for cash and the reporting
     abilities (and Dbase) of Recital were very enticing.
     $695

Hope this helps a little.

| Ken Nelson  (nelson@wrl.epi.com) | No thoughts today, sorry.	     |
| Computer Systems Manager         |				     |
| Entropic Research Laboratory     |				     |
| Washington, D.C.		   |				     |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------

nelson@wrl.epi.com (Ken Nelson) (06/12/91)

Another netter told me I made a mistake in my previous postings
with regard to anon ftp and telnet addresses.  Boy did I
ever.

> - various archives (postgres@berkeley.edu) for instance have

  anon ftp to postgres.berkeley.edu (The @ was a mistake)
  This site has ingres, postgres and bsd_db.

>     I recommend trying the archie@cs.mcgill.ca archive listing
>     server to look for source for these.

 telnet to quiche.cs.mcgill.ca, login in as "archie", no password.
  This drops you into McGill's archive listing database.

  Do this command:

	prog postgres

          or
        prog ingres

	  or
	prog bsd_database

 and you will get a rather large listing of anon ftp sites that have it.

 Try postgres.berkely.edu first, it has what I mentioned.