[alt.sources.wanted] Telnet into a PC

ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) (06/15/91)

I run a network of suns for Electrical Engineering here, and we
would like to telnet to PCs around on different floors. The programs
on the PCs are simple character-based ones only.

Does anyone know of PD sources for this? (NOTE: whenever I've asked
anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
connect to the PC.)

Thanks,
Ricko Jelliffe
ricko@ee.uts.edu.au

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (06/18/91)

ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:

>I run a network of suns for Electrical Engineering here, and we
>would like to telnet to PCs around on different floors. The programs
>on the PCs are simple character-based ones only.

>Does anyone know of PD sources for this? (NOTE: whenever I've asked
>anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
>asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
>connect to the PC.)

What you are after is NOT possible on PCs under MS-DOS.  It might become
possible under OS/2 though.  It would require porting the telnet daemon
source from Unix.  Not an easy task!

Good luck.

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (06/19/91)

In article <2437@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au> bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
>ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:
>
>>I run a network of suns for Electrical Engineering here, and we
>>would like to telnet to PCs around on different floors. The programs
>>on the PCs are simple character-based ones only.
>
>>Does anyone know of PD sources for this? (NOTE: whenever I've asked
>>anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
>>asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
>>connect to the PC.)
>
>What you are after is NOT possible on PCs under MS-DOS.  It might become
>possible under OS/2 though.  It would require porting the telnet daemon
>source from Unix.  Not an easy task!

This is not a typical MS-DOS thing to do, but it's definitely not
impossible as you indicate. MS-DOS has had console redirecting for
ages. People write TCP/IP stacks (driven by the clock interrupt) on
MS-DOS!  A TELNET daemon is not impossible to do.

BTW, I'm also looking for one ...

Timo

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (06/19/91)

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:

>ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:

>>anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
>>asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
>>connect to the PC.)

>What you are after is NOT possible on PCs under MS-DOS.  It might become
>possible under OS/2 though.  It would require porting the telnet daemon
>source from Unix.  Not an easy task!

 I've heard of that thing for PC, but I don't remeber now ...

 Also in OS THERE IS a telnetd daemon, and you can login in the machine !!

OK see you !!

Jose A. Vela A.
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

   ITESM
C. Monterrey

coxs@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sean Cox) (06/19/91)

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
>bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
>>ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:
>>>anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
>>>asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
>>>connect to the PC.)
>>What you are after is NOT possible on PCs under MS-DOS.  It might become
>>possible under OS/2 though.  It would require porting the telnet daemon
>>source from Unix.  Not an easy task!

> I've heard of that thing for PC, but I don't remeber now ...

      there's _PC_Anywhere_ which is a program which lets you basically
have a remote "console" via a serial port (and also a network I believe).
      Yuo should be able to find the manufacturer in any PC-type magazine
(by looking in the ads from the big software clearing houses for it) and
asking about it.

      Standard disclamers, etc.

                                              -Sean

|                            /  coxs@rpi.edu  \                             |
|        Sean Cox          /  coxs@mts.rpi.edu  \     Your imprint here     |
|________________________/  coxs@RPITSMTS.BITNET  \_________________________|

jesse@gumby.Altos.COM (Jesse Chisholm AAC-RjesseD) (06/19/91)

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
| ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:
|
| >I run a network of suns for Electrical Engineering here, and we
| >would like to telnet to PCs around on different floors. The programs
| >on the PCs are simple character-based ones only.
|
| >Does anyone know of PD sources for this? (NOTE: whenever I've asked
| >anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
| >asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
| >connect to the PC.)
|
| What you are after is NOT possible on PCs under MS-DOS.  It might become
| possible under OS/2 though.  It would require porting the telnet daemon
| source from Unix.  Not an easy task!

On PCs under MS-DOS the closest you can probably get is to set up one
machine as a telnet/ftp server, then each workstation could telnet/ftp to
the server machine and transfer files or whatever.  The problem is that
under MS-DOS the station can either be a server, or it can be a client.
It can't be both.  I have seen FTP servers on MS-DOS and SMTP servers
but I don't know of anyone who has written a telnet server.  Sorry.

---
Jesse Chisholm          | Disclaimer: My opinions are rarely understood, let
jesse@altos86.altos.com | tel: 1-408-432-6200 | alone held, by this company.
jesse@gumby.altos.com   | fax: 1-408-435-8517 |-----------------------------
======== This company has officially disavowed all knowledge of my opinions.
--
| "I claim this for the Queen of Spain."
|        -- Christopher Columbus
|           (his standard disclaimer)

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (06/19/91)

In regard to the problem of telneting into a PC:  don't limit yourself to
TCP/IP solutions.  It is possible to log into a PC and execute commands
there without using telnet.  I don't have any particular package in mind,
but I know it can be done!  Most bulletinboard software permits this.  I seem
to recall also a commercial package called something like PC Anywhere.

jesse@gumby.Altos.COM (Jesse Chisholm AAC-RjesseD) writes:

>bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
>| ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:
>|

>| >Does anyone know of PD sources for this? (NOTE: whenever I've asked
>| >anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
>| >asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
>| >connect to the PC.)

>On PCs under MS-DOS the closest you can probably get is to set up one
>machine as a telnet/ftp server, then each workstation could telnet/ftp to
>the server machine and transfer files or whatever.  The problem is that
>under MS-DOS the station can either be a server, or it can be a client.
>It can't be both.  I have seen FTP servers on MS-DOS and SMTP servers
>but I don't know of anyone who has written a telnet server.  Sorry.

 No no no no ......

 I remember now !!!

 If you use NOS from ka9q you (and other users) could Telnet into the PC and
  you could use it as an Ftp server and as a Mail server and as a bridge or
  a router !!! ( yes ! ) sll this of course at the same time !!!!

 The Telnet sesion only let's you to read mail, telnet to another machine, and
   another 3 or 4 more things ....

 It is a pretty program !!!

 See you in the net ....

Jose A. Vela A.

james@jack.sns.com (James Hwang) (06/22/91)

=ricko@bach.ee.uts.EDU.AU (Rick Jelliffe) writes:
=
=>I run a network of suns for Electrical Engineering here, and we
=>would like to telnet to PCs around on different floors. The programs
=>on the PCs are simple character-based ones only.
=
=>Does anyone know of PD sources for this? (NOTE: whenever I've asked
=>anyone this it has been difficult to convince them that I am NOT
=>asking to telnet OUT of a PC and into a multi-user system. I wnt to
=>connect to the PC.)

Basically, you are asking a BBS system.
There have tons of BBS software, but they all only let you connect
through serial port or modem.

For example, Procomm can be run as a server and being connected
through dial in or serial port. Also it can let you shell out,
accessing msdos file system.

There also one simple batch program which let you dial in, but I don't
know how to let it run on a network.

There have also FTP servers and NFS server(SOSS) on PC.

I haven't seen any Telnet server or NFS client on PC yet.

--
| Disclaimer  : Author bears full responsibility for contents of this article |
| Smart Mailer: james@jack.sns.com | hwang@postgres.berkeley.edu              |

reich@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (A Minor Diety) (06/23/91)

I figured if I looked long enough I would find something.  I did.
Anonymous FTP to wuarchive.wustl.edu in the directory
pub/MSDOS-INCOMING The file is telnetd.zip.  I am within 99% sure that
this is what you want.  It looks like it needs the Waterloo TCP
programs, I know nothing about Waterloo, I use Clarkson drivers for
everything.  Anyway here is a piece of the document that accompanies
it.

                The WATTCP Experimental TELNET Server

This program is not perfected, but it does show what is possible as far as
telnet service on a pc!  I will post to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc when
I feel the program is more usable.

Sorry about these notes being so brief, I hope someone will organize the
information to make it a little more useful.

Installation
        TELNETD.EXE uses the Waterloo TCP kernal to do all the network i/o.
        Installing the program can be simply performed by editing the ASCII
        configuration file named WATTCP.CFG.  Try creating such a file with
        information like the following.

            my_ip=129.97.128.254            # substitute the PC's ip number
            netmask=255.255.254.0           # substitute your local net mask
            gateway=129.97.176.1            # substitute your local gateway

        Full installation instructions for installing Waterloo TCP based
        programs including information on how to use BOOTP and multiple
        gateways is available from sunee.uwaterloo.ca [129.97.128.196]
        in pub/wattcp/apps.zip.  If you end up having no success with
        TELNETD, download that zip file, it will prove very useful.

        Once you have created the WATTCP.CFG file, copy it to the subdirectory
        of TELNETD.EXE.

        Load (and configure) an Ethernet packet driver, then run TELNETD.
        The screen should clear and a message will appear, indicating
        TELNETD is waiting for a caller.

Using TELNETD
        Go to a second PC.  Using Clarkson University (CUTCP) TELNET,
        telnet to the first PC.  I haven't tried other TELNETs yet.

        When you TELNET to TELNETD, you will be given some information
        while TELNETD becomes a TSR.  Almost immediately you will be at
        the DOS prompt.  Yeah, you can do things now.

        Anything you type on the remote PC will appear to be typed on the
        TELNETD PC.  LIST.COM, BORLAND C++, WordPerfect and many other
        programs are compatible (check out the character translation).
        There will be slight periodic delays.  Using a 386 to run TELNETD
        will improve your performance.

        Remember that the remote PC is running VT 100 emulation and some
        keystrokes have to be remapped.  I have written support for
        VT100 and VT220 terminals, but not everything has been
        tested yet.

[Keymapping removed by me, Dick.  See the manual when you get the package]

Limitations:
        I *DID* mention that this is still experimental.  Here are the
        current problems that come to mind:

        1. screen updates are sporatic - hey, don't be picky
        2. screen updates are inaccurate - I will improve my algorithms
           and the VT 100 (ANSI) escape sequences I use
        3. PINGing the TELNETD PC will crash it.  It runs into difficulties
           when it tries to ARP the remote PC.  This can be fixed.
           Other ICMP packets may also cause problems.  UDP/IP/TCP packets
           do not present problems.
        4. Second or later attempts to TELNET to the PC do not return
           any useful message - this can be fixed
           I'm still glad 2nd and later attempts don't crash the pc!
        5. When the user logs out, I just print a message to the screen.
           In the future I will probably reboot or something.

        Neat things you can do:
        1. Install MARK, Packet Driver and TELNETD.  The user can then
           TELNET in and run a batch file which includes the command
           RELEASE.  This lets you start a job and disconnect your TELNET
           session (without rebooting or crashing) while the job complete!.
           The batch file could even reload the packet driver and TELNETD
           once it is ready to let you log in again!
        2. Write your own password protection program.

Future Enhancements
        TELNETD and the underlying kernel were all written by me.  You
        can guess I've been pretty busy.  I tried to design the kernel so
        oddball applications like TELNETD could be written in 'C' and
        without looking like some of the nastier UNIX or Bible sequences.

        Admittedly, this is the first version of TELNETD which works well
        enough to show some real promise, but I think it is pretty close
        to being usable.  I'll post to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc when
        most of the above bugs are fixed.

        In case you are interested in TCP applications programming, you
        may like to look at some of the other applications available.
        FTP to sunee.uwaterloo.ca [129.97.128.196] and get
        pub/wattcp/src.zip

Erick

--
  DDDDDD             k                | reich@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
  D     D  `   cccc  k  kk   (^8      | Dick C. Reichenbach