[alt.sources.wanted] Mail sort program needed.

jharper@leo.unm.edu (TL) (06/25/91)

I'm not sure if one exists or not. Is there a program which can automatically
sort incomming email (hopefully at the time it comes in)? I'm getting tired
of manually having to sort out the wanted email from the unwanted email. I'm
preferably looking for something that can do a string search through the
letter to determine if the letter is fit or should be trash canned into
/dev/null. C source preferred, but CSH or PERL scripts will do. Also I do
have ftp capability.

-TL

 Email: jharper@triton.unm.edu             ____-------^^^^^---________
  UUCP: ...!ariel!jharper         _-==~~~~~                           ~~~~~====
  ________________________________'   """""--------___________--------"""""
 (========================(  ||   )         /
  """/"""""""/""""""""""""""""/"""         =
    /       /____----======~~~            ='
   (__                                   ='
      """""""""\______________________ -'       "Space. A final frontier..."

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (06/29/91)

TL> I'm not sure if one exists or not. Is there a program which can
TL> automatically sort incomming email (hopefully at the time it comes
TL> in)? I'm getting tired of manually having to sort out the wanted
TL> email from the unwanted email. I'm preferably looking for
TL> something that can do a string search through the letter to
TL> determine if the letter is fit or should be trash canned into
TL> /dev/null. C source preferred, but CSH or PERL scripts will do.
TL> Also I do have ftp capability.

TL>  Email: jharper@triton.unm.edu             ____-------^^^^^---________

I usually use GNU Emacs's VM mailer which can sort various ways, but
this sounds interesting too:

From: karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: News AND Mail reader?
Date: 28 Jun 91 17:56:40 GMT

tad@prism.gatech.edu writes:
   Is there a program out there that will serve as a news reader AND a mail
   reader?

GNUS can do it.  Pick up pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/packages/gnus-3.13.tar.Z
from archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (NOTE NEW HOME for archives at OSU CIS) and
look at contrib/mail-n-news.  I've been using this scheme for a little
over two years now.  Kill files for personal.general are a wonderful
thing.

--karl