[comp.sys.m88k] Baseline 88K Mask under BCS

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (11/22/89)

In the last year or so the 88100 CPU has gone through a number of versions
(e.g. D.0, D.5, E.0, E.1, E.2, etc.).  To compensate for known chip problems,
one of the steps in the compilation process has been a "silicon filter"
which inserts instructions into the compiler's output before going
to the assembler. These instructions are essentially software workarounds.
The silicon filter provides reliability at some cost to performance.

As later versions of the chip emerge, bugs are corrected, and the need
for silicon filtering diminishes.
Eventually no silicon filtering will be required as long as one runs with
the "bug free" chip.   This suggests that software generated for a later
mask will not reliably run on an earlier mask.

From a shrink-wrapped software developer's point of view, one wants minimal
filtering at maximum reliability.  To third party developers, that means
targeting their 88K binaries to some baseline version of the mask.
My question is: what version of the 88100 silicon do software vendors
consider the baseline ? (e.g. D.5, E.2, etc.)

Since this is more of a business decision, you won't find the answer in
your 88open BCS and OCS standards.

	Robert Heath
	NCR Corp.
	W.Columbia, SC
	803-791-6315

tom@ssd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (11/25/89)

>Since this is more of a business decision, you won't find the answer in
>your 88open BCS and OCS standards.

Not true. The BCS standard includes a description of the architecture. It
says that this 32 bit instruction fed to the CPU will do these things. Any
cpu that does not do those things cannot be BCS compliant.

This is also sort of a moot point. We have been running without a silicon
filter for quite some time and have found no problems. The chips Motorola
is turning out these days are pretty good.
domain: tahorsley@ssd.csd.harris.com  USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!novavax!hcx1!tahorsley            511 Kingbird Circle
      or  ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley            Delray Beach, FL  33444
======================== Aging: Just say no! ========================

meissner@dg-rtp.dg.com (Michael Meissner) (11/29/89)

In article <5395@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:

|  In the last year or so the 88100 CPU has gone through a number of versions
|  (e.g. D.0, D.5, E.0, E.1, E.2, etc.).  To compensate for known chip problems,
|  one of the steps in the compilation process has been a "silicon filter"
|  which inserts instructions into the compiler's output before going
|  to the assembler. These instructions are essentially software workarounds.
|  The silicon filter provides reliability at some cost to performance.

GNU C on the 88k as provided by Data General, no longer uses the
silicon filter, and assumes at least E1 level of the chips.  We did
retain the ability of running the silicon filter, but don't do it by
default when /bin/gcc is invoked.

|  As later versions of the chip emerge, bugs are corrected, and the need
|  for silicon filtering diminishes.
|  Eventually no silicon filtering will be required as long as one runs with
|  the "bug free" chip.   This suggests that software generated for a later
|  mask will not reliably run on an earlier mask.
|
|  From a shrink-wrapped software developer's point of view, one wants minimal
|  filtering at maximum reliability.  To third party developers, that means
|  targeting their 88K binaries to some baseline version of the mask.
|  My question is: what version of the 88100 silicon do software vendors
|  consider the baseline ? (e.g. D.5, E.2, etc.)

D level silicon is NOT acceptable unless you never use double
precision floating point.

Data General uses E.1 as the baseline for DG/UX 4.10, and will use E.2
as the baseline for DG/UX 4.20.  I would expect E.2 to be the baseline
for quite some time due to the cost of rev'ing up the chips, but I
don't speak for DG.

--

Michael Meissner, Data General.
Until 12/15:	meissner@dg-rtp.DG.COM