[comp.sys.m88k] Domain Name Service on DG/UX?

arul@sdsu.edu (Arul Ananthanarayanan) (12/22/89)

I went up to the local DG office today to see the new Aviion Workstations.

The machines look very good, I was impressed.

I had a chance to look around a bit on the machine but I couldn't find
a "named" anywhere. I was wondering if Domain Name Service will be
supported and if it does whether it is done through the Yellow Pages.
I would also like to know whether the resident sendmail supports MX
records.

The machines I saw were running DG/UX version 4.10.

Thanks,

Arul

--
INTERNET: arul@sdsu.edu          	   	work: (619) 594-7207
UUCP:     sdsu!arul              		home: (619) 583-0439

meissner@skeptic.osf.org (Michael Meissner) (12/23/89)

In article <1989Dec21.200933.4114@sdsu.edu> arul@sdsu.edu (Arul
Ananthanarayanan) writes:

>I went up to the local DG office today to see the new Aviion Workstations.
>
>The machines look very good, I was impressed.
>
>I had a chance to look around a bit on the machine but I couldn't find
>a "named" anywhere. I was wondering if Domain Name Service will be
>supported and if it does whether it is done through the Yellow Pages.
>I would also like to know whether the resident sendmail supports MX
>records.
>
>The machines I saw were running DG/UX version 4.10.

DG/UX 4.20 (which should be shipping shortly) will optionally support
the Domain Name Service in addition to static host tables and the
yellow pages.  When you install the system, you will be asked if you
want the DNS, and if you do, you will need to configure where the
other servers, and in what order host lookup should occur (ie, static
/etc/hosts file, DNS, and YP).  You will probably have to relink any
of your own applications which call gethostbyname in order to use the
DNS.  I don't remember whether sendmail will support MX records or not.

miller@dg-rtp.dg.com (Mark Miller) (12/27/89)

In article <2235@paperboy.OSF.ORG> meissner@skeptic.osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
>In article <1989Dec21.200933.4114@sdsu.edu> arul@sdsu.edu (Arul
>Ananthanarayanan) writes:
>
>>I went up to the local DG office today to see the new Aviion Workstations.
>>
>>The machines look very good, I was impressed.
>>
>>I had a chance to look around a bit on the machine but I couldn't find
>>a "named" anywhere. I was wondering if Domain Name Service will be
>>supported and if it does whether it is done through the Yellow Pages.

	DG/UX 4.20 does support DNS lookup through the yellow pages, as
	well as through the convential mechanisms. The big win to using
	DNS under YP is that applications that have "vanilla" calls to
	do yp hosts lookups will use the resolver, without re-linking the
	applications. Also YP maps are consulted first, so the fast lookups
	of local hosts, and control over names returned by reverse lookups
	of local hosts is retained. (eg. my_computer does not become
	my_computer.rtp.dg.com suddenly breaking all sorts of things. . .)

	To use DNS under YP, make sure DNS is working correctly on the
	YP server.  Then you need to make the hosts maps with the magic
	YP_INTERDOMAIN flag set: edit the /etc/yp/Makefile, and change

		INTERDOMAIN = 		to
		INTERDOMAIN = -b

	Then do a make hosts (after touching the hosts source).  If
	you use the default svc order of YP:EHOST:RES then all
	requests to that YP server will search DNS after the local maps.

	See also "Managing NFS and it's facilities on the DG/UX system",
	makedbm(8), svcorder(4) etc.

>>I would also like to know whether the resident sendmail supports MX
>>records.
>>
>>The machines I saw were running DG/UX version 4.10.
>
>DG/UX 4.20 (which should be shipping shortly) will optionally support
>the Domain Name Service in addition to static host tables and the
>yellow pages.  When you install the system, you will be asked if you
>want the DNS, and if you do, you will need to configure where the
>other servers, and in what order host lookup should occur (ie, static
>/etc/hosts file, DNS, and YP).  You will probably have to relink any

	See above.

>of your own applications which call gethostbyname in order to use the
>DNS.  I don't remember whether sendmail will support MX records or not.

	Mark T. Miller			 	miller@dg-rtp.dg.com
	<insert funny saying here>		...mcnc!rtp!miller