[comp.sys.m88k] 88k vs. i860 for a shared memory parallel processor running MACH

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (06/14/90)

In article <1890@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> jjh@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (James J. Hunt) writes:
>Would anyone care to comment on the relative advantages and disadvantages of
>the Motorola 88100/88200 and the Intel i860 for a shared memory
>multiprocessor running MACH.

Some researchers at the Swedish Institute of Computer Science (SICS)
are using the 88100/88200 in a MACH (I believe) machine.

Their 'DATA DIFFUSION MACHINE' uses the write-once aspect of the
200's cache coherency mechanism to allow snarfing.  This, they say,
allows the machine to act as a shared memory system to the programmer,
but as a message passing system to the data coherency mechanisms.

There was a report about the DDM in a recent Comp. Arch. News, written
by Erik Hagersten of SICS.

I don't know how the 860 scores on this, but the SICS guys checked out
a number of processors and found that the 88K was the only architecture
suitable.

I can try to find more details if you want.

tk

deraadt@enme.ucalgary.ca (Theo &) (06/15/90)

In article <5473@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) writes:
> I don't know how the 860 scores on this, but the SICS guys checked out
> a number of processors and found that the 88K was the only architecture
> suitable.

Of course, the 68040 is in this catagory now too, as long as code cache
coherency is not broken by the same processor. No?
 <tdr.

--

SunOS 4.0.3: /usr/include/vm/as.h,  Line 44	| Theo de Raadt
Is it a typo? Should the '_'  be an 's'?? :-)	| deraadt@enme.ucalgary.ca