[comp.sys.m88k] Korn shell on AViiON

support@dg-rtp.dg.com (Data General Support) (08/24/90)

In article <1847@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens)
writes:

>Has anyone gotten the KornShell to successfully compile on an
>AViiON under DG/UX 4.30 ??

It sounds as though you have had difficulty porting the ksh to DG/UX.
In order to successfully port most AT&T code to the AViiON architecture
you must take into account the following facts:

1.  On AViiON systems the NULL pointer may never be dereferenced.
    See "Porting Applications to the DG/UX System" (ordering number
    069-701059) for a discussion of this topic.  This manual also
    includes an ld script which will allow code which expects to be
    able to dereference NULL to execute properly (although the resulting
    image will not be BCS-compliant).

2.  The brk(2) and sbrk(2) system calls actually allocate memory one
    page at a time; no segmentation fault will occur as the user writes
    to memory past the break value until he or she steps out of that page.
    Therefore, DG/UX applications should treat the receipt of a
    SIGSEGV in this context as notification that they need to increase
    their break value so that it lies past the next page boundary.
    The system call getpagesize(2) returns the page size.

We do recommend that anyone porting software to DG/UX obtain a copy of
"Porting Applications to the DG/UX System."

>Does anyone from DG's AViiON/DGUX support read this newsgroup ?
>Is anyone from DG's AViiON/DGUX support accessible on the net ?
>If so, please contact me.  Thanks.

Yes, people from DG's DG/UX internal support group do monitor this
newsgroup.  Rather than carry on troubleshooting sessions "on the air",
we encourage DG customers to contact their designated Field Engineer
or Support Representative.  DG can most efficiently handle your problems
or questions through these established channels (see Robert S. Maier's
recent testimonial [thanks!]).
Data General customers who are experiencing problems with their
systems or have questions about DG products are strongly urged to
contact their Data General support representative for assistance.

>2.  The brk(2) and sbrk(2) system calls actually allocate memory one
>    page at a time; no segmentation fault will occur as the user writes
>    to memory past the break value until he or she steps out of that page.

Err, umm, this is hardly unique to DG/UX or to the AViiON; if "ksh"
can't cope with that, I'm surprised it runs on *any* UNIX box....