[comp.sys.m88k] Trashed configuration parameters

support@dg-rtp.dg.com (Data General Support) (09/01/90)

In article <1567@uvm-gen.UUCP>, ackerman@sadye.uvm.edu (Steve Ackerman) writes:

>We're attempting to write a stand-alone program that runs without
>the DG/UX kernel...our program bombed hard a few times.  By hard,
> I mean the machine needed to be power-cycled, and upon reboot,
>some of the configuration parameters were trashed... One time, the
>machine crashed and never came back up... We sent it back to be repaired.
>...We got it back this Monday.  Last night, while working on the same
>code, the machine broke again... We weren't doing anything device specific
> -- just trying to set up our own (basic) exception handler...
>We've called DG, but they said send it back.  I would hate to
>think that our software could damage the DG so much as to require
>everything to be replaced.  I think that our problem could be as
>simple as screwed up configuration settings (somewhere).

Mr. Ackerman seems to be writing into an area which is reserved for
non-volatile RAM (0xfff80000 - 0xfff81fff).  Some of this space is
write protected by the hardware, but most of it is not since it contains
user-settable information.  This user-settable information includes the
parameters which can be modified by executing the SCM level format command.
The information in this area is used both by the PROM (SCM) and by DG/UX
to determine operating characteristics.  If this information is altered
in an invalid way, the results can vary from incorrect system operation
to an inability to power up the machine.

Since it is impossible for us to write-protect this area without restricting
users from specifying various operating characteristics, those writing
device drivers need to make sure they are not writing to this area.  If
this situation does occur, try these steps to recover:

(1) Power down the machine and power it back up again.

(2) If the machine does not power up correctly (no text appears on the console)
    turn the power off and back on.  Wait 3 minutes, then turn the power off
    and back on again.  In most cases of non-volatile RAM corruption, this
    should rectify the situation.  If at this point you do not get any text
    on the console, press the key sequence < control-V > followed by a "1".
    This will reset the terminal emulator parameters and should enable you to
    see text output.  If you do not, this means that the contents of the
    non-volatile RAM are not user-recoverable, and the CPU board should be
    sent back to DG for repair.  If you do see text on your console, continue
    with step 3 below.

(3) You should see an SCM prompt at this point.  If your console is an
    asynchronous terminal, you should now be able to boot your system.  If your
    console is a graphics monitor you will need to set the DG/UX parameters
    for X Window dimensions before you can boot. You should contact your
    DG support representative for instructions.

If these steps do not resolve your problem, you should contact your Data
General Support Representative for further assistance.

Data General customers who are experiencing problems with their
systems or have questions about DG products are strongly urged to
contact their Data General support representative for assistance.
--Data General Support