[comp.sys.m88k] Aviion and others?

dappel@grafted.UUCP (Dave Appel) (09/26/90)

Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
systems besides Data General Aviion?

-Dave "who likes to jump out of airplanes" Appel

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (09/27/90)

dappel> Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
dappel> systems besides Data General Aviion?

Harris Computer Systems Division produces the Night Hawk family of real time
computer systems. The latest member of that family is 88k based. (I have to
get the plug for Harris in first, since I work there).

Motorola Computer Systems makes the Delta 88 series of systems.

Textronix and Opus make 88k based workstations.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there
are others.
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (09/27/90)

In article <TOM.90Sep26133613@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:

> [list of 88K system vendors, including Data General, Motorola, Harris,
>  Textronix and Opus]

Our dear competitor failed to mention the Encore 91 Series of realtime
systems (announced, now in alpha test, volume shipments early next year)
carrying 2 or 4 88100s in a shared memory multiprocessor configuration.

There are also a number of vendors (Force comes to mind) manufacturing
VME boards carrying 88K processors.

I've used an Opus "Personal Mainframe 8000" and it's not a bad Unix box.
It's surprisingly fast, given that it's a coprocessor board in a stock
PC/AT clone. I can't (currently) say anything about any other 88K systems.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

Claimer: If it isn't obvious from the address, I work for Encore Computer Corp.

brian@motcsd.csd.mot.com (Brian Smithson) (09/27/90)

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) writes:

>In article <TOM.90Sep26133613@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:

>> [list of 88K system vendors, including Data General, Motorola, Harris,
>>  Textronix and Opus]

> [added Encore, board vendor Force ]

Add Sanyo/Ikon and Dolphin to the list.  And Motorola also sells boards.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Computer Systems Division

ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) (09/27/90)

:
>I've used an Opus "Personal Mainframe 8000" and it's not a bad Unix box.
>It's surprisingly fast, given that it's a coprocessor board in a stock
>PC/AT clone. I can't (currently) say anything about any other 88K systems.

Over at Duke Center for Demographic Studies, we use a whole passel
(well, 5 of 'em) of Opus PM-4xx (88000 based) co-processors in a variety
of AT-class '286 and '386 machines.  One has 2GB of SCSI disk with the
new Opus drivers that let the 88000 talk directly to the scsi (bypass
the DOS io system!)  They are sys5 boxes with decent networking.  I'll
be glad to answer any other questions about them.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for Duke or Opus, just me, and I happen to
like the things (we do beta test a bit for opus ;-)
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/27/90)

In a recent article dappel@grafted.UUCP (Dave Appel) writes:

>Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
>systems besides Data General Aviion?

The Encore 91 comes to mind.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) (09/27/90)

>dappel> Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
>dappel> systems besides Data General Aviion?
>
>Harris Computer Systems Division produces the Night Hawk family of real time
>Motorola Computer Systems makes the Delta 88 series of systems.
>Textronix and Opus make 88k based workstations.

Other 88K vendors include Sanyo/Icon, Phillips Information (second source
for Motorola), Encore and Unisys. There are also several other second
source vendors, but I can't think of there names now.

--
Rodney Radford        DG/UX AViiON developer        SAS Institute, Inc.
sasrer@unx.sas.com    (919) 677-8000 x7703          Box 8000, Cary, NC 27512

pds@lemming.webo.dg.com (Paul D. Smith) (09/27/90)

In article <R2a4P2w163w@grafted.UUCP> dappel@grafted.UUCP (Dave Appel) writes:

[] Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
[] systems besides Data General Aviion?

Why would anyone want any other system besides the DG AViiON? :-)

--

                                                                paul
-----

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep27.133938.7662@unx.sas.com> sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) writes:

>>dappel> Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
>>dappel> systems besides Data General Aviion?

>>Harris Computer Systems Division produces the Night Hawk family of real time
Could you say when those started shipping?
>>Motorola Computer Systems makes the Delta 88 series of systems.
>>Textronix and Opus make 88k based workstations.

>Other 88K vendors include Sanyo/Icon, Phillips Information (second source
>for Motorola), Encore and Unisys. There are also several other second
>source vendors, but I can't think of there names now.

Has Phillips actually announced an 88K system product?
	(also, could somebody point me at something that talks about Phillips
	being a second soruce for 88Ks?  Is that true?)
As noted earlier, Encore is in Alpha, with production scheduled for 1Q91.
Unisys, although committed to 88K, has not yet announced a product.

Note that the ORIGINAL question was "commercially available systems":

US: DG, Motorola, Opus, Tektronix, Sanyo/Icon have been shipping for a while.
Japan: Omron is shipping an 88K-based workstation called "Luna".
Europe: Norsk Data (Norway) ships 88K-based servers.
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) (09/28/90)

>>>dappel> Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
>>>dappel> systems besides Data General Aviion?

As previously mentioned, Motorola is one supplier of such a system.
We purchased a Delta system last spring, ours includes a dual
88k processor system running sys V.  We also bought two NCD X-server
terminals to use with the box.  I am quite impressed with the
speed of the unit, and the NCD terminals.  If you have any questions
about the unit - feel free to contact me.  I am just a user
-*NOT* a salesperson.

Also Tektronix recently brought out a new 88k board for the Mac II
series - the RP88k - its really a coprocessor board for the Mac
and you can get their C and Fortran Compiler for it.

	'mark
--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

lkaplan@bbn.com (Larry Kaplan) (09/28/90)

There is also the BBN TC2000, currently available with 16-63 88Ks in one
machine.  You can at least double that number within 6 months.

				 ____ \ / ____
Laurence S. Kaplan		|    \ 0 /    |		BBN Advanced Computers
lkaplan@bbn.com			 \____|||____/		10 Fawcett St.
(617) 873-2431			  /__/ | \__\		Cambridge, MA  02238

michael@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Michael Bodine) (09/29/90)

John Mashey (mash@mips.COM) writes:
| In article <1990Sep27.133938.7662@unx.sas.com> sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) writes:
| >>dappel> Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
| >>dappel> systems besides Data General Aviion?
| >>Motorola Computer Systems makes the Delta 88 series of systems.
| >Other 88K vendors include Sanyo/Icon, Phillips Information (second source
| >for Motorola), Encore and Unisys. There are also several other second
| >source vendors, but I can't think of there names now.
| Has Phillips actually announced an 88K system product?
Phillips is *NOT* a "second source" of either 88K-based Delta systems nor of the
88000 family of chips.  They are an OEM customer of Motorola who (it was
recently announced) buy 88K systems from Motorola Microcomputer Division and
resell them in Europe under their own label.  They do the same with 68K based
systems and have done so for quite some time.  There are no currently announced
second sources of 88K chips of which i'm aware.
--
[  Michael Bodine, michael@chg.mcd.mot.com, Dial: (708) 576-7840, FAX: x8875  ]
[  Motorola MCD; Loc IL38; 1100 Woodfield; Suite 334;  Schaumburg, Il  60173  ]

basell@nodecg.ncc.telecomwa.oz.au (david basell 2279455) (09/29/90)

What about Motorola's 8000 series and the new MPC?

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (10/01/90)

In article <12812@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:

>There are also a number of vendors (Force comes to mind) manufacturing
>VME boards carrying 88K processors.

I believe that Tadpole falls into this category also.
--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg

philip@cetia.fr (Philip Peake) (10/01/90)

In article <R2a4P2w163w@grafted.UUCP> dappel@grafted.UUCP (Dave Appel) writes:
>Are there any other commercially available 88000 based
>systems besides Data General Aviion?

CETIA manufacture an 88k cpu board which can be used in any of the
standard configuration 68k machines that they currently sell.

88open certification is in progress for these machines.

sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) (10/01/90)

In article <41775@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>In article <1990Sep27.133938.7662@unx.sas.com> sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) writes:
>>Other 88K vendors include Sanyo/Icon, Phillips Information (second source
>>for Motorola), Encore and Unisys. There are also several other second
>>source vendors, but I can't think of there names now.
>

>Has Phillips actually announced an 88K system product?
>	(also, could somebody point me at something that talks about Phillips
>	being a second soruce for 88Ks?  Is that true?)

The article is in Electronic News, Monday, Sept 24, 1990, and begins
"Motorola has signed an OEM agreement with Philips Information Systems under
which the Dutch company will resell Motorola's line of mid-range computers
based on the 88000 RISC microprocessor. Philips Information will resell and
private-label in Europe Mtorola's MultiPersonal Computer line, ...."

Maybe there was some confusion about my "second source for 88Ks' - I meant
for the 88K based computers, not the actuall 88000 chips....

--

tdonahue@prost.bbn.com (Tim Donahue) (10/02/90)

In article <12812@encore.Encore.COM>, jcallen@Encore (Jerry Callen) writes:
>In article <TOM.90Sep26133613@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>
>> [list of 88K system vendors, including Data General, Motorola, Harris,
>>  Textronix and Opus]
>
>Our dear competitor failed to mention the Encore 91 Series of realtime
>systems (announced, now in alpha test, volume shipments early next year)
>carrying 2 or 4 88100s in a shared memory multiprocessor configuration.

As Larry Kaplan (lkaplan@bbn.com) mentioned, the BBN TC2000
shared-memory multiprocessor is based on the 88000. Systems may be
configured with as many as 63 function cards, each including 1 88100, 2
or 3 88200 CMMUs, and 16 Mb of physical memory.  Each function card also
includes a full VMEbus interface for I/O.  Systems with over 120
processors will be available in the near future.

Since representatives of Encore and Harris have described their current
and planned realtime systems in response to your question, I would like
to mention that the TC2000 also has powerful realtime capabilities.  The
TC2000 may be configured to run TC2000 nX (compatible with UNIX 4.3bsd)
on some CPUs and TC2000 pSOS+m (a real-time kernel using pSOS+m/88K) on
others simultaneously.  The system may be dynamically partitioned into
clusters of CPUs in order to dedicate system resources to specific
functions.

nX processes and pSOS tasks on different CPUs in different clusters may
communicate using both message-passing and shared-memory models.  pSOS
tasks may transparently access the nX file system.  Persistent, named
shared memory objects are supported on a system-wide basis.  The user
may program using TC2000 parallel FORTRAN, C, and Ada under both nX and
pSOS.  The TotalView graphical multiprocess/multiprocessor debugger
provides a powerful debugging tool for use under nX and pSOS.  The
TC2000 also supports the X Window System and Sun's NFS.

The TC2000 has been generally available for sale since July 1989.

If you'd like more information, please send me a message or call us at
ACI at (617) 873-6000.

Cheers,
Tim

------------------
Timothy P. Donahue
Operating Systems Development Group
BBN Advanced Computers, Inc.
10 Fawcett Street
Cambridge, MA  02138

tdonahue@bbn.com
--

tjb@tadtec.uucp (Tim Bissell) (10/02/90)

Ron Guilmette writes:

] In article <12812@encore.Encore.COM>jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
] >
] >There are also a number of vendors (Force comes to mind) manufacturing
] >VME boards carrying 88K processors.
]
] I believe that Tadpole falls into this category also.

Indeed we do, although because we can supply a Un*x system based on Data
General's DG/UX kernel for our boards, we may not fit the original poster's
"other than Aviion" criterion ;-)

If anyone wants the (informal) gory details they can write to/email me at
the address below.  To say any more would probably abuse the charter of
this group.

Tim.

--
Tim Bissell  Tadpole Technology | (tjb@tadtec.UUCP || ...!mcsun!ukc!tadtec!tjb)
Cambridge Science Park 		| "Is life worth living?              DoD#174

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (10/03/90)

Lately there is an article in Unix World (or Review ?) about Why the 88K
has lost the Workstation market (...)

Do you have any comment on this ?

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) (10/04/90)

In article <1533@ftc.framentec.fr>, ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) writes:
|> Lately there is an article in Unix World (or Review ?) about Why the 88K
|> has lost the Workstation market (...)
|>
|> Do you have any comment on this ?
|>
|> --nh
|> Nhuan DODUC,
|> Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or
ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
|> Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

The article was almost entirely non technical and was more correctly
about
why Motorolla lost the WS market (not the 88k).  In sort, it says that
M waited too long to get the product to market.  M retorts that it
waited
longer to get a better product to market (saying, either directly or by
inference that SPARK and MIPS traded of value for time to market).

I think that only time will indicate whose right.  Certainly SPARK is
doing well, the i860, MIPS (even with DEC), and the 88k seem to be
also-rans in a confusing market.  It's sort of like the old story about
the marketing of "Dove" soap.  That market wasn't felt to be
knowledgeable
enough to appreciate the value of a ph neutral soap.  Is the computer
market smart enough to understand the trade offs in the MIPs wars, or
are the looking for something more than technical prowess and MIPS/$
ratios when the mass market goes shopping?

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (10/05/90)

In article <1014@dg.dg.com> ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) writes:
>I think that only time will indicate whose right.  Certainly SPARK is
>doing well, the i860, MIPS (even with DEC), and the 88k seem to be
>also-rans in a confusing market.  It's sort of like the old story about

re: also-ran: since MIPS was mentioned, I have to comment (and disagree)

Following is a (partial, but mostly good)
list of who's got products in workstation
market, by RISC architecture used as main chip:

SPARC (not SPARK)
Sun	(97-98% of SPARC-based systems market in 1989)
Solbourne	High end, most of business is servers (I think?)
Tatung/Mars/Solarix/Trigem/Twinhead/Datatech	clones, unclear what's
	going on in terms of distribution, shipments, quite yet
Toshiba	(in Japan, not sold elsewhere, so far)
misc others

MIPS
Evans & Sutherland (3D)
DEC (2D & 3D)
Mips itself (2D)
NEC
SGI (3D)
Sony
Stardent (3D)
Sumitomo Electric
misc others

88K
Data General
Everex/Opus
Omron
Tektronix

i860
too early to tell, I think OKI's announced one.  The i860s actually
shipping in high-end w/s are graphics coprocessors
----
So, SUN ships a lot, especially at lower end of workstation market,
and they're easy to count, because they're mostly from Sun.

A bunch of MIPS-based workstations are out there, although not as many
as Sun, because the strength is in the higher-performance  and more
expensive ones - the $VALUE is closer than the numbers, I think.
Also, they're harder to count, and especially if you're in the
U.S., people tend to count Sun's worldwide sales, while ignoring
foreign vendors; they also tend to count ALL of Sun's sales, while
not counting the multi-user servers of other people's, which in
fact compete with the bigger Suns....  Also, when you read the pie-charts,
sometimes they show: Sun, HP, DEC, (other), thus omitting SGI, for
example, and of course, not getting to Japan...

I haven't been able to figure out the revenues/units of 88K-based
workstations actually sold, so I don't know where that is....
(opinion: consider the source carefully): SPARC is there because of
Sun's low-end strength; MIPS is there because of high-end strength
and use by multiple important vendors.  88K's existence in workstation
market is basically tied to DG at low end, and Tektronix at high end.
I really can't tell how they're doing, because we (MIPS) don't play
directly in 3D workstations, and we very seldom bump into DG,
possibly because of different channels, or something.
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

jdarcy@encore.com (Floating Exception) (10/05/90)

A couple of other RISC-based machines that John Mashey forgot to mention:

    Encore 91/93 - the numbers were not chosen to represent ship dates.  :-)
    These are 88K-based multis; the 91 will be available Real Soon Now (I'm
    working on it) and has 2-4 CPUs, while the 93 will be available sometime
    later with 4-20something CPUs.

    Dolphin Orion - another 88K multi, using SCI.

    Pyramid this, that and the other - how did we miss them?

    Intergraph something-or-other - these guys have changed chips a couple
    of times, so I'm not sure what they're using now.

    Acorn - they use their own ARM series of RISC chips, but they're worth
    a mention anyway

As far as market share, I think I can safely predict that the Encore 91/93
will take over the high-end market as soon as they become available.  ;-)

--

Jeff d'Arcy, Generic Software Engineer - jdarcy@encore.com
      Nothing was ever achieved by accepting reality

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (10/05/90)

In article <jdarcy.655082613@zelig> jdarcy@encore.com (Floating Exception) writes:
>A couple of other RISC-based machines that John Mashey forgot to mention:
>
>    Intergraph something-or-other - these guys have changed chips a couple
>    of times, so I'm not sure what they're using now.

Aren't they still using the clipper chip set? I know they bought the chip
out when Fairchild abandoned it.

I'm not sure Clipper quite counts as RISC, but just what DOES that mean,
anyway - no, don't answer that. :-)  There are some interesting similarities
between the Clipper set and the Motorola 88K. The Clipper consists of a
CPU chip and two MMU chips, one each for instructions and data, with
completely separate paths to the MMUs. The FPU is on the CPU chip. The
bulk of the Clipper instructions are single cycle, but there are "macro
instructions" which execute out of a ROM on the CPU chip, using the
normal instruction set. It's an interesting chip set; I first heard about
it in 1985, and I think it was ahead of its time.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (10/11/90)

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:

|88K
|Data General
|Everex/Opus
|Omron
|Tektronix

The Motorola Computer Group also sells VME Boards and systems based on
the 88K series processors, from single cpu/dual cache with 8Meg of
memory to quad cpu/oct cache with 256Meg of memory.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"