[comp.sys.m88k] BCS/OCS for X and networking?

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/07/90)

Is there someone who knows when the 88open BCS and OCS standards
will include X and network interfaces?

wytze@euce.encore.nl (Wytze van der Raay) (10/08/90)

In <1825@hulda.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>Is there someone who knows when the 88open BCS and OCS standards
>will include X and network interfaces?

Already available are:

* BCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
* OCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
* OCS X Window System Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989

The X document is a very minimal one, basically saying: X11R3 from MIT,
but the other ones are full-blown specifications. What more do you want?
--
| Wytze van der Raay                   INTERNET:             wraay@encore.nl |
| Encore Unix Centre Europe (EUCE)     UUCP:       ...!hp4nl!encore.nl!wraay |

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (10/08/90)

In article <1825@hulda.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>Is there someone who knows when the 88open BCS and OCS standards
>will include X and network interfaces?

How about as of September 1989? :-) At least, that's the date on my copies of
the BCS/OCS  Networking Supplements, Release 1.0. There is also an OCS
X Supplement, but it essentially just points the reader to MIT and X/Open
documentation.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/09/90)

and Wytze van der Raay (wytze@euce.encore.nl) replied with:

"Already available are:

* BCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
* OCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
* OCS X Window System Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989

The X document is a very minimal one, basically saying: X11R3 from MIT,
but the other ones are full-blown specifications. What more do you want?"

Great. Now, who actually implements these parts? Encore? DG?
Tektronix? Someone else? And does anybody know if there is an upgraded
X Window interface that covers X11R4 on the way?

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (10/09/90)

[]

	"Now, who actually implements these parts? Encore? DG?
	Tektronix? Someone else?"

I know that Tektronix and Motorola do, and I'd be surprised if DG doesn't.

	"And does anybody know if there is an upgraded X Window
	interface that covers X11R4 on the way?"

If it happens, all it will do is change "use X11R3 from MIT" to "use
X11R4 from MIT."  How does this differ from what you want?

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) (10/09/90)

In article <1827@hulda.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>* BCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
>* OCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
>* OCS X Window System Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
>
>Great. Now, who actually implements these parts? Encore? DG?
>Tektronix? Someone else? And does anybody know if there is an upgraded
>X Window interface that covers X11R4 on the way?

Sanyo/Icon has implemented these three supplements and is certified
compliant with at least the first two.  I know Motorola, DG and Opus
have been actively working on these supplements also.  Perhaps someone
at 88open (e.g. 88opensi!andy) could give us all an update?

I'm not aware of any work to make a X11R4 version of the X Window Supplement.

BTW, the BCS/OCS Networking Supplements versions I have are Release 1.1
dated June 1990.  Call 88open at (408-436-6600) to order the latest versions.
--
Ron Holt	ron@Eyring.COM  uunet!lanai!ron
Eyring Inc.	+1 801-375-2434 x434

sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) (10/12/90)

In article <1827@hulda.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>I wrote:
>
>"Is there someone who knows when the 88open BCS and OCS standards will
>include X and network interfaces?"
>
>and Wytze van der Raay (wytze@euce.encore.nl) replied with:
>
>"Already available are:
>
>* BCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
>* OCS Networking Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
>* OCS X Window System Supplement Release 1.0, September 1989
>
>The X document is a very minimal one, basically saying: X11R3 from MIT,
>but the other ones are full-blown specifications. What more do you want?"
>
>Great. Now, who actually implements these parts? Encore? DG?
>Tektronix? Someone else? And does anybody know if there is an upgraded
>X Window interface that covers X11R4 on the way?

DG implemented the Networking and X window standards in release 4.31 of
their DG/UX operating system.

>--
>Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
>ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
>                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
>These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

--
Rodney E. Radford        SAS Institute, Inc.        sasrer@unx.sas.com
DG/UX AViiON developer   Box 8000, Cary, NC 27512   (919) 677-8000 x7703