[comp.sys.m88k] info on VME 88k boards

sean@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sean Quinlan) (10/24/90)

I am interested in peoples experince with 88K VME boards.  In particular,
clock rate of boards they have received, performance of multi CPU boards,
performace of memory systems and VME interfaces, documentation and overall
support.  Also, what companies produce such boards.  My list includes
Motorola: 181/188
Force: CPU 80 / 81 /82
Tadpole Technology: Not sure of board numbers
I will summarize to the net
sean@neon.stanford.edu

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.023616.18839@Neon.Stanford.EDU> sean@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sean Quinlan) writes:

> I am interested in peoples experince with 88K VME boards.  In particular,
> clock rate of boards they have received, performance of multi CPU boards,
> performace of memory systems and VME interfaces, documentation and overall
> support.  Also, what companies produce such boards.  My list includes
> Motorola: 181/188
> Force: CPU 80 / 81 /82
> Tadpole Technology: Not sure of board numbers
> I will summarize to the net
> sean@neon.stanford.edu

Tadpole currently produce two 88000-based VME boards, the TP881V and
the TP882V.

The TP881V is a 6U-sized board-set product, made up of 2 - 4 boards,
depending upon the desired system configuration. The TP882V is a
9U-sized, SUN-compatible single-board computer. Both boards are
designed for multiprocessor operation, with the TP882 supporting 1 - 4
88100 CPUs and the TP881 supporting 1 - 8 CPUs.

For both products at 20MHz, VME slave performance is typically 10Mb/s
and master performance is 11Mb/s when operating with a high-speed
slave. Memory bandwidth is a sustained 45Mb/s for cache line bursts
from the 88200 devices.

The standard products run at 20MHz, with 25MHz configurations subject
to availability.

Ethernet and dual SCSI interfaces are offered as standard. The TP881
may have additional memory, processing power or a VSB interface added
as options. Comprehensive manuals are available for both products,
providing all the required information to get a system up and running.

The boards run TP-IX, Tadpole's implementation of UNIX System V
Release 3.2. This is a true multithreaded kernel for maximising
multiprocessor performance, using technology licensed from Data
General Corp.

For further information contact Tadpole on 1-800-232-6656 (US) or
+44-223-423030 (International).
--

tjfs@tadtec.uucp        ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Science Park, Milton Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 4WQ