[comp.sys.m88k] Motorola Press Release on the 88110

andy@88opensi.UUCP (Andy Silverman) (11/02/90)

MOTOROLA DETAILS RISC PLANS

Denser parts, lower prices, upgrade paths, new markets

Burlingame, Calif--October 10, 1990--In a series of related announcements,
Motorola's Microprocessor Products Group today underscored its long-term
committment to competing in the reduced-instruction-set computing (RISC)
market.  "Over the next few years, we'll be bringing to market the most
powerful processors commercially available," saif Jeff Nutt, marketing manager
of the 88000 family.  "Motorola is committed to a sustained and agressive
program to bring the 88000 to the desktop," he continued.

First Look at Second Generation

At the Microprocessor Forum here, Motorola described, in general terms and
for the first time, the architecture of its second-generation RISC CPU,
designated the 88110.  Scheduled for introduction next year, and containing
more than 1.4 million transistors, the 88110 will not only perform the
combined functions of its software-compatible predecessors, the 88100 CPU
and the 88200 cache and memory management units -- but it will perform
them three to five times faster.

In addition, the 88110 will feature multiple integer, floating point and
graphics execution units, an 80-bit wide internal data path, improved
handling of instructions sustaining more than one instruction per clock,
and branch acceleration to maintain continuous execution.  It will be
fabricated with a 0.8-micron HCMOS process.  Essentially, the 88110 will be
a turbocharged, single chip version of the 88100/88200 chip set.

At the 88110 introduction in 1991, Motorola will be providing a complete suite
of development tools and support chips including C-compilers, assemblers
and application development systems.

Motorola's 88000 architects see the leap in performance expected from the 88110
as but the first phase of an evolution.  The third-generation CPU, also in
design, will have more execution units, a wider data path, and even greater
parallelism.  It will be fabricated in BiCMOS and approach speeds of 100MHz.

Assuming a quadrupling of performance by each new generation, 88000 engines
of the late 1990s will be single-chip microprocessors containing 100 million
transistors clocked at 300MHz.  Motorola's engineers see a RISC chip with a
throughput exceeding 300 MIPS as a distinct possibility by the year 2000.

Motorola also disclosed the development of a line of 88000-based embedded
RISC processors. Named the 88300 family, these embedded RISC processors
will retain software compatibility with 88000 CPUs and provide single
chip solutions targeted for embedded control applications.

Increasing Market Momentum

Philips Data Systems (Appleforn, Holland) recently announced their intent
to market 88000-based multi-user servers in Europe.  Currentl there are more
than sixty-seven 88000-based hardware platforms from more than 50 vendors
worldwide.

Smaller Prices, Bigger Markets

The economies of very-large-scale integration and advances in manufacturing
technology are making the 88000 available to wider market segments.  Just last
month, Motorola reduced the prices of the 88110 and 88200 by an average of 67%
which provides 88000 products as low as $3.50 per MIP.  Gains in
price/performance will continue beyond the generation of the 88110, giving
impetus to the use of the 88100 in the following categories of equipment:

- Desktop PCs.  For cost-conscious personal-computer builders, the performance
of RISC is attractive, but only if it can be provided on a turnkey,
under-$1000 circuit board thatcan run industry-standard operating systems,
applications and networks.  The latter requirement will be satisified by all
88000 family members, through compliance to the 88open Consortium's binary
compatibility standard (BCS) for portability of applications now available
on 88000-based systems.  More than 1,500 applications are now available on
88ooo-based computer systems.  Of these packages, 60 have been certified
BCS-compliant with the majority expected to go through the certification
process within the next six months.

- Embedded Controllers.  Designers of equipment with embedded CPUs look for
high integration, low power consumption and low cost to give them a
competitive edge.  Motorola's upcoming 88300 family of embeddedRISC
processors will be architecturally compatible with the 88000 family, as
well as I/O compatible with the 68300 family of CISC embedded controllers.

- File Servers.  Speed will continue to be the basic requirement of file
servers, the information distributers of network computing.  Integrated or
assembled in a multiprocessing scheme, parallel RISC CPUs will channel
data from node to node as quickly as it can be requested.

Motorola is one of the world's leading suppliers of electronic equipment,
systems, components, and services for worldwide markets.  Products include
two-way radios, pagers, cellular telepone systems, semiconducters, defense
and aerospace electronics, automotive amd industrial equipment, computers,
amd data-communications and information processingand handling equipment.

Motorola was a winner of the first annual Malcom Baldrige National Quality
Award in 1988, inrecognition of its superior company-wide quality
management process.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (11/06/90)

In article <569@88opensi.UUCP> andy@88opensi.UUCP (Andy Silverman) writes:

>MOTOROLA DETAILS RISC PLANS
>Philips Data Systems (Appleforn, Holland) recently announced their intent
>to market 88000-based multi-user servers in Europe.  Currentl there are more
>than sixty-seven 88000-based hardware platforms from more than 50 vendors
>worldwide.
Is there a publication that lists the public subset of these?
I'd be happy to get one if there is, so I can update the foils I use.

>on 88000-based systems.  More than 1,500 applications are now available on
>88ooo-based computer systems.  Of these packages, 60 have been certified
>BCS-compliant with the majority expected to go through the certification
>process within the next six months.
Is there a current 88Open catalog or something that lists the 1,500?
(Those we have here are fairly old.)
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

In article <42763@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>In article <569@88opensi.UUCP> andy@88opensi.UUCP (Andy Silverman) writes:

>>MOTOROLA DETAILS RISC PLANS
>>to market 88000-based multi-user servers in Europe.  Currentl there are more
>>than sixty-seven 88000-based hardware platforms from more than 50 vendors
>>worldwide.
>Is there a publication that lists the public subset of these?
>I'd be happy to get one if there is, so I can update the foils I use.

People wrote me that the 88Open Sourcebook, November 1990 had at least
a subset of the public ones, as well as software.  Somebody picked one
up at UNIX Expo, so I can answer these questions.

>>on 88000-based systems.  More than 1,500 applications are now available on
>>88ooo-based computer systems.  Of these packages, 60 have been certified
>>BCS-compliant with the majority expected to go through the certification
>>process within the next six months.
>Is there a current 88Open catalog or something that lists the 1,500?
>(Those we have here are fairly old.)

Here are the summaries:
1) H/W vendors: 61 products from 9 vendors:

 3	CETia
19	DG
10	Dolphin Server
 2	Encore
 1	Harris
 9	Motorola
 7	Norsk	(These are different names for DG W/S or Dolphin servers)
 9 	Opus
 1	Prometa AB
-------TOTAL
61	(unless you subtract the Norsk ones as double-counts, getting 54 then)

2) S/W: 314 packages.  These are in various stages of certification;
I didn't count, but the estimate of 60 certified looked about right.
Most of them are labeled "Planned Compliant", some are "In Progress"
I couldn't find anything in the book about availability and such,
so I have no idea where on the scale it fits:
3rd-party catalogs around the industry vary wildly in availability
requirements to be listed, from "will port within 6 months" to
"must be shippable".

  4	AI
 38	DBMS
  1	Earth  Resources
 90	General Business
 13	Imaging/Graphics
  4	Networking & Comm
 37	Office Automation
 22	Science & Engineering
105	Software Engineering
---	TOTAL
314

lewine@dg-rtp.dg.com (Donald Lewine) (11/07/90)

|> Is there a current 88Open catalog or something that lists the 1,500?
|> (Those we have here are fairly old.)
|> --
|> -john mashey	DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak for me only, etc>
The new catalog was released last week for Unix Expo in New York City.
It is 475 pages.  It is restricted to sowtare which is certified
to meet 88open binary compatibility standards.  Every entry lists
the certification status.

Copies are available from:
	88open Consortium Ltd.
	100 Homeland Courrt, Suite 800
	San Jose, CA 95112
	(408) 436-6600
	(408) 436-0725 (FAX)

I believe that single copies are free and multiple copies are $4
each.  Contact 88open for details.

By the way, each entry also describes the level of
internationalization support available.  I thought that was a
nice touch.

It is also interesting to compare the 88open book to the IBM AIX
book.  IBM wins on ``thud factor''.  The IBM book in the size of
the Manhattan Yellow Pages.  However, if you look closely most of
the entries are for AIX on a PS/2 and are really MS-DOS applications.
The list of RS/6000 applications is only a small percentage of the
book.  I guess that there are about the same number of RS/6000
applications as 88open applications.

Donald A. Lewine                (508) 870-9008 Voice
Data General Corporation        (508) 366-0750 FAX
4400 Computer Drive. MS D112A
Westboro, MA 01580  U.S.A.

uucp: uunet!dg!lewine   Internet: lewine@cheshirecat.webo.dg.com

In article <42805@mips.mips.COM>, mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:

|> Here are the summaries:
|> 1) H/W vendors: 61 products from 9 vendors:
|>
|>  3	CETia
|> 19	DG
|> 10	Dolphin Server
|>  2	Encore
|>  1	Harris
|>  9	Motorola
|>  7	Norsk	(These are different names for DG W/S or Dolphin servers)
|>  9 	Opus
|>  1	Prometa AB
|> -------TOTAL
|> 61	(unless you subtract the Norsk ones as double-counts, getting 54 then)
	This is only vendors who have 88open Certified systems.  There
    are many 88000 users who are either not using BCS compatible
    software (e.g. BB&N) or do not want to pay for certification.

|> 2) S/W: 314 packages.  These are in various stages of certification;
|> I didn't count, but the estimate of 60 certified looked about right.
|> Most of them are labeled "Planned Compliant", some are "In Progress"
|> I couldn't find anything in the book about availability and such,
|> so I have no idea where on the scale it fits:
|> 3rd-party catalogs around the industry vary wildly in availability
|> requirements to be listed, from "will port within 6 months" to
|> "must be shippable".
|>
|>   4	AI
|>  38	DBMS
|>   1	Earth  Resources
|>  90	General Business
|>  13	Imaging/Graphics
|>   4	Networking & Comm
|>  37	Office Automation
|>  22	Science & Engineering
|> 105	Software Engineering
|> ---	TOTAL
|> 314

	Again, this is only certified (or planned to be certified)
	applications.  There are many applications which are unique
    to Data General.  This may be due to unique Data General
    hardware, unique DG/UX software features or a special
    relationship between Data General and the ISV.

    I am sure that there are other applications unique to
    Motorola, Encore, Harris, etc.

    In short, it is not fair to assign a penalty to the 88000
    because there is an 88open Compatibility Certification
    program.  The catalog list 314 packages in various stages of
    certification.  How many other chip vendors have software
    *CERTIFIED* to run on multiple platforms?  How rigorous is the
    certification process?

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (11/09/90)

In article <1116@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!lewine writes:
>In article <42805@mips.mips.COM>, mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>|> Here are the summaries:
>|> 1) H/W vendors: 61 products from 9 vendors:
>|>  3	CETia
>|> 19	DG
>|> -------TOTAL
>|> 61	(unless you subtract the Norsk ones as double-counts, getting 54 then)

(Note: I screwed up slightly, and didn't include the Tektronix ones,
but it turns out that doesn't change the discussion much.)

>	This is only vendors who have 88open Certified systems.  There
>    are many 88000 users who are either not using BCS compatible
>    software (e.g. BB&N) or do not want to pay for certification.

Well, this is why I posted this, just trying to understand the numbers.
Many numbers get thrown around in this business, especially in the
marketing wars, and sometimes it's hard to understand what they MEAN,
often because there is no way to even get the slightest check on them.
I am happy to receive any enlightenment, so this is helpful.
However, I still don't understand some numbers:

The Motorola announcement said:
"Philips Data Systems (Appleforn, Holland) recently announced their intent
to market 88000-based multi-user servers in Europe.  Currentl there are more
than sixty-seven 88000-based hardware platforms from more than 50 vendors
worldwide."

Now, here's where I get confused.  Both of these numbers say >, which
covers a lot, but 67, especially is rather specific.  Put these
two sets of numbers together:

Source	H/W prods	Vendors
88Open	61		9
88Open'	54		8	(I.e., if you remove the obvious duplicates)
Announ	>67		>50

Now, if you take >67 as meaning 68, and >50 as 51, then
it looks like 68-61 = 9 hardware platforms come from 51-9 = 42
vendors, which seems strange, as it gives each additional vendor (beyond those
above) about 1/4 of a platform.
Likewise, if you use the second line's #s,
you find that 68-54 = 14 h/w platforms come from 51-8 = 43 vendors,
or 1/3 platform/vendor.
Of course, since they both said greater than, anything can be possible.
If you assume that Motorola an 88Open are counting in the same way,
then there must be at least 103 platforms and 51 vendors, assuming
1 apiece for the >42 vendors not listed above. (But if there were,
why wouldn't Moto have said >100, rather than >67? I sure would! :-)
Maybe different groups are counting different ways?  Maybe Moto is
counting things that are coming (note they didn't say the platforms
were available, just that hey ARE), whereas the Sourcebook's are
already shipping.

Summary of this part: maybe somebody from Moto would post what their
numbers MEAN, because the numbers seem strange when compared against
the 88Open stuff.  Either Moto is NOT counting as separate products
many things listed in the 888Open book, OR they are strangely
under-saying how many platforms there are, OR something is being
counted several times.

>|> 2) S/W: 314 packages.  These are in various stages of certification;
>|> I didn't count, but the estimate of 60 certified looked about right.
>|> Most of them are labeled "Planned Compliant", some are "In Progress"
>|> I couldn't find anything in the book about availability and such,
>|> so I have no idea where on the scale it fits:
>|> 3rd-party catalogs around the industry vary wildly in availability
>|> requirements to be listed, from "will port within 6 months" to
>|> "must be shippable".
>|> ---	TOTAL
>|> 314

>	Again, this is only certified (or planned to be certified)
>	applications.  There are many applications which are unique
>    to Data General.  This may be due to unique Data General
>    hardware, unique DG/UX software features or a special
>    relationship between Data General and the ISV.

>    I am sure that there are other applications unique to
>    Motorola, Encore, Harris, etc.

>    In short, it is not fair to assign a penalty to the 88000
>    because there is an 88open Compatibility Certification
>    program.  The catalog list 314 packages in various stages of
>    certification.  How many other chip vendors have software
>    *CERTIFIED* to run on multiple platforms?  How rigorous is the
>    certification process?

I wasn't try to penalize anybody; again, I just don't ever accept numbers
on faith.  Is it possible to get a DG 3rd-party catalog? (We'll
trade you a RISCware catalog for it...)
I certainly expect that there are applications specific
to vendors, but let me quote again from the Moto announcement:

"- Desktop PCs.  For cost-conscious personal-computer builders, the performance
of RISC is attractive, but only if it can be provided on a turnkey,
under-$1000 circuit board thatcan run industry-standard operating systems,
applications and networks.  The latter requirement will be satisified by all
88000 family members, through compliance to the 88open Consortium's binary
compatibility standard (BCS) for portability of applications now available
on 88000-based systems.  More than 1,500 applications are now available on
88ooo-based computer systems.  Of these packages, 60 have been certified
BCS-compliant with the majority expected to go through the certification
process within the next six months."

It says that there are >1,500 applications available.
It says that 60 have been certified Compliant.  It says that the majority
are expected to go thru certification in next 6 months.
Majority = >50%, i.e., 750 applications, 2.5X the total listed in
the 88Open Sourcebook, so there must be a huge number out there,
in the mill, but NOT listed in the book, even though the book lists a whole
lot of things that are not yet "in Progress".
Now, there may well be applications that are unique to DG, Harris, etc...
If they are truly unique, and won't run on other people's hardware
(either for technical or commercial reasons), then does it make sense to
say: "More than ....  within next six months." ??  I'm NOT saying they
SHOULD, by the way, just that if you run around claiming a zillion
apps that apps that will be certified across multiple vendors, you CAN'T
count the stuff that won't.....  if you believe in these bean-counting
wars at all....)

Actually, it might be worth looking in detail at the 88Open Sourcebooks,
Rev 2 (Nov 89), and Rev 3 (Nov 90).

If we look at the Nov 1989 88Open Sourcebook, Issue 2, we find the following,
with some overlapping entries that I didn't have the patience to weed out.
All ofthe "Planned Compliant" software listed availability dates,
mostly during 2Q-3Q 1990.

Planned	Other	Category
Cmplnt	88K s/w
55	13	Languages
13	13	Cross-compilers
47	16	Devel support
12	 2	Graphics
12	 1	Communications
20	28	Business
 2	 1	Emulation s/w
 5	 3	Special S/W
	 8	OS's
----------------
166	85	TOTALS  (251 listings, but with some redundant)

Now, here is a similar analysis of Rev 3, including fixes to a couple
counting errors I made the last time (left out Manufacturing, sorry!)
Entries	PlnCmp	InProg	CERT
  4	  2	 1	 1	AI
 37	 12	11	14	DBMS
  1	  1 	 -	 -	Earth  Resources
 90	 73	 7	10	General Business
 13	  7      6	 -	Imaging/Graphics
 18	 15	 3	 -	Manufacturing
  4	  3	 1	 -	Networking & Comm
 37	 23	 6	 8	Office Automation
 22 	 14	 7	 1 	Science & Engineering
105	 45	27	33 	Software Engineering
---	---	--	--	------
331	195	69	67	TOTALS

I've read the definitions of Certified, In Progress, and Planned Compliant,
and here are the relevant pieces:
Certified: Tested and complies, "shipping on all certified systems."
In Progress: Product is in process of obtaining certification.
Planned Compliant: "The product is committed to compatibility to the
88open standards and will be available on all certified systems."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I think they mean,
FROM THE VIEW OF SOMEBODY WHO WANTS TO BUY A MACHINE AND SOFTWARE:

1) Certified: this is good. I can buy any of several machines from
different vendors, and the software will run on them.
Availability: I'd expect that I order it, and get it shipped.

2) In Progress: I'm not sure what this means. I think it means that:
	2a) At some future date, it will turn Certified, and then I'm
	up to Case 1).
	2b) Right now, I assume it might run on 1 or more (but not certified
	for all, because if it were, it would be Certified) of the machines,
	and it's hard to believe it would be In Progress if it didn't
	run at all!
Availability: I'm not sure, since the Source Book doesn't say.
I'd guess that if I call up the s/w vendor, they'll say:
	2c) We've tested it on vendor A, B, ... and it works under these
	software revs.
OR
	2d) We've tested it on A & B, but you have C, and we think it
	works there, although we haven't tested it.

3) Planned Compliant:  I think I get the same answers as 2, except that
since it isn't "In Progress", it must be further out in time.
and so, it might possibly get the answer:
	3a) Not yet.
I don't know the criteria for being listed here.  Can anybody say?
(I would think that ANY ISV who has a chunk of software that runs
on, or might someday run on, any compliant box, would want to be listed
here, and 88Open would certainly want to list them, I think.  The logic
of the way 3rd-party catalogs work is that people don't leave things
out if they can help it :-)

FINALLY, why do I find all these numbers inconsistent?

1) Last year, there were 251 listings, of which 166 were Planned Compliant.

2) One year later, we have:
       	195 Planned Compliant, but not yet in progress
	 69 In progress
	 67 Certifieds (of which half are s/w development tools)

3) However, Motorola says that in next 6 months, the majority of
1500 (>750) will go thru the certification process, i.e., 10X more
than have been done in the last year.  (Now, I realized there is
a natural ramp effect, but if 750 are going to happen in the next
year, why are only 69 In Progress, and 195 Planned Compliant (not even
In Progress, yet)?

4) If I'm a buyer, what do I REALLY do? (right now)
	If there are really 1500 applications "available", i.e., I really
	can buy them, then the "majority" (in fact, >1100) are specific
	in some way, and so far, have not been thrown in the pot for
	Certification, and in fact, may not be likely to do so.
	So, what I do is:
		a) Pick the applications
		b) Pick a few possible candidate h/w platforms
		c) Call up the ISVs and see WHICH PLATFORMS they ACTUALLY
		support the software on....
	BECAUSE:
		Right now, the certified list is pretty small.

5) Bottom line: I'll happily listen to anybody who can explain thse,
but these numbers don't add up for me, or else I misunderstand the
use of English words like "available":

EITHER:
	a) The "1500 available" number counts in some way I don't
	understand.
OR:
	b) There's a huge number of things that are actually in the mill at
	88Open, but are not listed in the catalog, and a huge acceleration
	is underway, i.e., a 20X faster rate (10X apps in .5 time).
OR:
	c) There is a lot of software out there, but people have little
	interest in having it certified, but instead, work thru the
	3rd-party porting group within each vendor, i.e., in the usual
	old time-honored way :-)

6) Most of this analysis was occasioned by simply thinking about a few
numbers, and bashing them together, and trying to figure out what
the words mean, to work thru some occasionally vague things.
To finish up, let me try a simpler example.

MIPS RISCware catalog.  Number of s/w application entries (and we only
count software, not hardware, training courses, etc), is shown below.

What's criterion for being listed?  Easy: the application is demonstable,
the vendor will take an order for it, and will ship it to you.
(Seems pretty simple).

	Oct 89		Oct 90
	203		665	(and at this instant, 772, as we've typically
				been adding >100/month, lately).
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (11/09/90)

I wish to add that TELMAT, another french manufacturer which is known elsewhere
for their Transputer-based SuperNode ..., has announced many 88K machines .....
but most interest thing is that they will run SysV r4 (and they keep telling
that this is a first, at least in Europe !)

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

malc@iconsys.icon.com (Malcolm Weir) (11/14/90)

In article <42958@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>MIPS RISCware catalog.  Number of s/w application entries (and we only
>count software, not hardware, training courses, etc), is shown below.
>
>What's criterion for being listed?  Easy: the application is demonstable,
>the vendor will take an order for it, and will ship it to you.
>(Seems pretty simple).
>
>	Oct 89		Oct 90
>	203		665	(and at this instant, 772, as we've typically
>				been adding >100/month, lately).
>--
>-john mashey	DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak for me only, etc>
>UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
>DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700
>USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

But again, you miss the point: there is no place to look for a list of
applications that will run on BOTH MIPS and DEC and ... systems. Also, note
that applications that use a certified run-time system are not listed, but
they are available (e.g. many COBOL compilers require a run-time package. If
XY-COBOL is certified, then the huge quantity of XY-COBOL applications becomes
available, BUT NOT CERTIFIED!)

This is a game played by many vendors in order to fill the 3rd part catalog.
I know Moto Comp. Sys. Div., SCO, ARIX, NCR, Unisys, Uniforum and others list
COBOL, BASIC, Informix, Progress, etc. etc. packages as available, supported
applications. They are not ever likely to be certified 88Open compliant, but
they are reasons why people choose to buy the box.

Anyway, with Comdex hanging about, everybody can now play "Count the 3rd Party
Apps". Just go up to your friendly neighborhood competitor and ask to see a
list of supported apps. Its a stunningly pointless pastime, but it seems to
amuse the bean counters of most marketing departments.

Malc.

P.s. how about renaming this group "comp.sys.mashey"? ;-)

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (11/15/90)

In a recent article malc@iconsys.icon.com (Malcolm Weir) writes:

>This is a game played by many vendors in order to fill the 3rd part catalog.
>I know Moto Comp. Sys. Div., SCO, ARIX, NCR, Unisys, Uniforum and others list
>COBOL, BASIC, Informix, Progress, etc. etc. packages as available, supported
>applications. They are not ever likely to be certified 88Open compliant, but
>they are reasons why people choose to buy the box.

A quick glance throgh the latest 88open Sourcebook revealed that there
are several BASIC, COBOL and whatever packages that are fully certified.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se

gary@proa.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov13.193744.805@iconsys.icon.com> malc@iconsys.icon.com (Malcolm Weir) writes:
>P.s. how about renaming this group "comp.sys.mashey"? ;-)

From his mouth to our sales brochures :->.

I don't see a problem with a competitor taking an interest in this group.  He
seems to want to keep the field level and clean as should all up-front
vendors.
Besides - he keeps saying those really awful things about SPARCs.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary