[comp.sys.m88k] Tektronix XD8810 and gcc

roy@ecgcurly.UUCP (Roy Kern) (11/10/90)

Some engineers over at Tektronix mentioned to me that they had downloaded
gcc (gnu c compiler) from Data General and were using it on their 88's.
Well I too have downloaded it from DG, but it doesn't like my stdlib.h
file.  Is there anyone there at tek that uses gcc and can tell me what
I'm doing wrong, or what I haven't set up correctly?.
Thanks.

Roy.

Roy Kern 	Motorola, Inc.
(708) 632-6264	Arlington Hts, IL
		roy@mot.com

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (11/14/90)

Roy Kern writes:

	"Some engineers over at Tektronix mentioned to me that they had
	downloaded gcc (gnu c compiler) from Data General and were
	using it on their 88's.  Well I too have downloaded it from DG,
	but it doesn't like my stdlib.h file.  Is there anyone there at
	tek that uses gcc and can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what
	I haven't set up correctly?."

I'm the engineer that did this, and I discussed it with Roy by
telephone.  Briefly, I bypassed the Green Hills compiler entirely by
building DG's compiler on a 68k box running GCC-68k.  This created a
cross-compiler.  I ran the compiler source through the cross-compiler
to get assembly source, which I moved to an 88k system and built with
the standard Motorola assembler and loader.

As a result, I didn't have to deal with GH/GNU language
inconsistencies, and had no header file problems.

(All this software is long gone, so please don't ask me for a copy.
I no longer have an 88k system.)

Kudos to Michael Meissner (now at OSF) and Tom Wood at Data General,
who did a superlative job on this compiler, and who didn't even think
about stonewalling when a competitor asked for the source code.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (11/14/90)

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) writes:

>(All this software is long gone, so please don't ask me for a copy.
>I no longer have an 88k system.)

   Does anyone have a copy of gcc running on one of these machines???
I would like to have gcc, since I have run into problems with the gh compiler.

--
					/Bob...
{...}!rutgers!mende         mende@cs.rutgers.edu          mende@zodiac.bitnet

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (11/22/90)

In article <9511@orca.wv.tek.com> andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew
Klossner) writes:

| Roy Kern writes:
|
| 	"Some engineers over at Tektronix mentioned to me that they had
| 	downloaded gcc (gnu c compiler) from Data General and were
| 	using it on their 88's.  Well I too have downloaded it from DG,
| 	but it doesn't like my stdlib.h file.  Is there anyone there at
| 	tek that uses gcc and can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what
| 	I haven't set up correctly?."
|
| I'm the engineer that did this, and I discussed it with Roy by
| telephone.  Briefly, I bypassed the Green Hills compiler entirely by
| building DG's compiler on a 68k box running GCC-68k.  This created a
| cross-compiler.  I ran the compiler source through the cross-compiler
| to get assembly source, which I moved to an 88k system and built with
| the standard Motorola assembler and loader.
|
| As a result, I didn't have to deal with GH/GNU language
| inconsistencies, and had no header file problems.

I dimly remember compiling GNU C with Greenhills early in the porting
stage.  Maybe something got 'fixed' in later releases, or the Tek
version of the Greenhills compiler differed from the version that ran
on AViiON's.  Given that stdlib.h is the problem, I suspect it's in
compiling symout.c (symout.c is trying to use offsetof, and the
offsetof macro in stdlib.h works for GCC and PCC derived compilers).
If stdlib.h was shipped in /usr/include that Greenhills likes, just
add -I/usr/include to the CFLAGS.  If not, ifdef the usage in
symout.c.  This is ok, since symout.c supplies the deprecaded gdb
internal format debug information (-gg) that won't be used.

| Kudos to Michael Meissner (now at OSF) and Tom Wood at Data General,
| who did a superlative job on this compiler, and who didn't even think
| about stonewalling when a competitor asked for the source code.

Careful, I might need a new size in hats, :-).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?