[comp.sys.m88k] Connecting Apple LaserWriter NT to Moto Delta Box

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) (12/18/90)

Has anyone successfully connected an Apple LaserWriter NT
to an 88k-based Motorola Delta box using a serial port (P2)?
We have tried doing
this via a serial port (P2) on the processor card set to
the printer.

We have the printer configured properly at 9600 baud using
XON/XOFF control, and have set up the serial p2 port
(/dev/contty) for 7 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit,
etc.

I have tried using a break out box to monitor the serial
port signals.  We are just using pins 2,3, and 7 to the
laser printer, and have wired the P2 port's pins 8 & 20
together (also have tried tying 4->5 too).  We have also
tried flipping pins 2->3 as well.

When we spool a job to the printer, the delta box seems to
think it went ok, but no activity occurs on the Laser Writer's
status leds.

Other people I have talked with have connected such printers
to their machines - but only on a network and not with
a serial port.

Any hints/help would be appreciated.

	thanks

	email prefered.

	'mark
--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

tim@MISMPC..uucp (Tim Dawson) (12/20/90)

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) writes:

>Has anyone successfully connected an Apple LaserWriter NT
>to an 88k-based Motorola Delta box using a serial port (P2)?
>We have tried doing
>this via a serial port (P2) on the processor card set to
>the printer.

>We have the printer configured properly at 9600 baud using
>XON/XOFF control, and have set up the serial p2 port
>(/dev/contty) for 7 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit,
>etc.

>I have tried using a break out box to monitor the serial
>port signals.  We are just using pins 2,3, and 7 to the
>laser printer, and have wired the P2 port's pins 8 & 20
>together (also have tried tying 4->5 too).  We have also
>tried flipping pins 2->3 as well.

Well, I think the problem might be that Motorola serial ports are set up
as DTE - you need a null modem cable to connect to a terminal or printer.
What I suspect is happening is that since you have 8/20 tied, the system
thinks the device is there, but since 2/3 are not crossed, the data is not
getting to the printer and the flow characters are not getting back.

The standard pinout (as per my Moto manuals) for a terminal/printer cable
is as follows:

CPU		REMOTE
===		=====
1		1
2		3
3		2
7		7
8		20
20		8

And pins 4,5, and 6 are tied together on both ends of the cable.

Also, keep in mind that if you have a service contract on this system, the
internal 2400 baud modem (supplied to you as part of the contract package)
sits on this port and could also be giving you trouble.
Tim Dawson (...!texsun!Athena!MIS1!tim)  Unix Systems Administrator
Motorola Computer Systems - MIS
1701 Valley View Lane, Farmers Branch TX. 75234