[comp.sys.m88k] DG/UX 4.31 and /usr/root.proto

newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Mike Newton) (12/21/90)

After installing 4.31, i noticed a directory /usr/root.proto that, while
it may have been there before, I never noticed.  It seems to be an exact
duplicate of the 'core' of '/'.  I'd love to have its 1.6 Meg of disk
space, so, does anyone know:

Is it needed?
Will i mess up further updates if i remove it?
Did i just mess up the installation (normally it would have been
	automagically removed)?

Also, does
	/usr/stand/diskman
really have to be 3 MBytes?  I've been thinking of removing it (having a
tape copy), but am wondering if there is some use for it I dont know.

Random good news : 4.31 includes a working 'cprs' (or see dg-rtp.dg.com::
pub/gnu/cprs.Z if you still have 4.30).  Running it on the (intermediate
'temacs'!) of gnu emacs saves about .5 meg alone.  "Thanks!" to the people
at DG (I'm happy to give their names, but they may not want the "corporate"
attention!)

"A Galaxy is a Shrodinger Cat."  Murray Gell-Man Oct 23, 1989
- mike (newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu)

goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (12/22/90)

In article <newton.661770247@gumby.cs.caltech.edu>, newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Mike Newton) writes:
> After installing 4.31, i noticed a directory /usr/root.proto that, while
> it may have been there before, I never noticed.  It seems to be an exact
> duplicate of the 'core' of '/'.  I'd love to have its 1.6 Meg of disk
> space, so, does anyone know:
>
> Is it needed?
> Will i mess up further updates if i remove it?
> Did i just mess up the installation (normally it would have been
> 	automagically removed)?

Nope, it's supposed to be there.  /usr/root.proto is the "master" from
which the root file systems of diskless clients are cloned.  (It would
be inappropriate to use the server's root as the prototype since it
will have already been customized.)  If your system has no (and plans
never to have any) diskless clients, you could get away with removing
/usr/root.proto.

> Also, does
> 	/usr/stand/diskman
> really have to be 3 MBytes?  I've been thinking of removing it (having a
> tape copy), but am wondering if there is some use for it I dont know.

If you don't mind the inconvenience of booting standalone Diskman from
tape, then yes, you could remove /usr/stand/diskman.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA