[comp.sys.m88k] Aviions -- How many MIPS can you get in a pizza box?

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (03/23/91)

(This post is really on two topics: the size and speed of the 7000/8000
Aviion systems.  Size is discussed momentarily, then speed is discussed
in great volume :-) :-)

> In article <1991Mar14.183029.11714@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
> >
> >>  Can anyone from Data General elaborate on the
> >>architecture/capabilities of these machines?  I looked in the paper
> >>this morning, but there was no report, and only the picture of the
> >>pizza box and what looked like a 4 processor 88K system.
>
> >The 7000/8000 Aviions are quad-processor servers.  Four 25 MHz 88000's
> >yield 117 MIPS of performance. [...]
>
> >I don't think they fit into a pizza box.
>
> The CPU board apparently does; at least, in the ads, they'd fit one into
> a pizza box.  I assume all four 88Ks are on the board in question....

OK, I finally saw the ad.  If you read closely, it says:

	Data General's AViiON 7000 and 8000 systems have 117 MIPS of
	mainframe power that fits in a pizza box!  That's right.  The
	brains of these next-generation Open Systems occupy the same
	space as your basic large pie.

The picture is of a quad-processor motherboard stuffed into a cardboard
pizza box, on which is printed the Aviion/DG logo and

	... 1-800-DATA-GEN (WE DELIVER)

Apparently, this is to underscore the fact that the systems are shipping now,
and (?) without delay.  Maybe this is a poke at Sun's infamous order backlog.

Jerry Callen writes:
> Squeezing 117 MIPS out of (4 x 25MHz = 100 million machine clock ticks per
> second) using a non-superscaler chip is an interesting accomplishment. Of
> course, since 1 MIPS is a number that bears no relationship to anything
> other than the willingness of marketing people to lie, I guess it's a fair
> claim.

> Robert Bedichek writes:
> Just saying "everybody lies, so do we" doesn't cut it.  The number must
> come from somewhere.  Even outrageous numbers have some basis.  What is
> the basis for 117 MIPS from the new DG machine?
>
> And of course, these DG figures are aggregate MIPS, not single CPU
> MIPS, so it is meaningless to compare a 40 MIPS SUN to a ?? MIPS DG
> machine.  If the load is single thread, the fastest SUNs, MIPSco
> machines, and the IBM RS/6000 will win.

Until you add another process :-)  Any good multiprocessor support will
farm work out to the processors AT LEAST at the process level.  If you
are running a program under X Window, you have plenty more processes than
processors.  You end up with an overall performance increases that is
surprisingly linear with respect to the number of processors.

As far as the future is concerned, work is being done to support
multiprocessing at the thread level (fine-grained multiprocessing).
When a version of UNIX that supports this comes out, a multi-processor
Aviion will be a very nice thing to have!

> Someone from DG, please help us understand your company's claims.

I have been trying to figure this stuff out too.  With the help of an Aviion
workstation I have on loan, I may be able to help shed some light on this
matter.

First, here are Data General's claims, from marketing info about a year old:

		model:	300	310
		-------------------
# processors		1	1
clock speed (MHz)	16.7	20
dhrystone 1.1		37543	45167
MIPS			17	20

(Both the 300 and 310 are single-processor desktop workstations.)

Now, about the MIPS rating.  It's no good trying to compare 88000 MIPS
directly to SPARC, mips or RS/6000 MIPS, because the architectures and
instruction sets are different.  If a SPARC, for example takes 2 instructions
to do what the 88000 can do in one, a direct comparison will make the SPARC
look twice as fast.  I assume most of you know about this...

Most manufacturers measure MIPS as VAX MIPS, where 1 VAX MIP is the speed
of a VAX 11/780.  But doing what?  Well, it is common to compare based on
the dhrystone 1.1 benchmark.  This method, of course, is full of holes.
Is the VAX running VMS or UNIX?  If it is running UNIX, it will be
significantly slower...

Just for play, take a look at the following figures.

hardware ->		VAX 11/780	386 PC (64k cache)	Aviion 310
operating system ->	UNIX V.2	ISC 386/ix 2.0.2	DG/UX 4.3
clock speed (MHz)	?		20			20
dhrystone 1.1		1562		7364			40286
MIPS			1.0		4.7			25

Before I get into this further, a few notes:

1.  The Aviion is a very old model, one of the first made.
2.  The dhrystone figure for the Aviion is without X Window running;
    if X is running, it gets only 39117.
3.  The dhrystone figure for the VAX is from the C source code for the
    dhrystone program.  The numbers for the PC and the Aviion were obtained
    today by me, by compiling the C source and running it on the machine/os
    referenced above.  I calculated MIPS based relative to the VAX dhrystone
    figure.  What else do I have to go by?
4.  These numbers are pure BS, as far as I'm concerned.  They are here for
    conversational purposes only.  End of disclaimer.

Now for the fun.  First, I'd like to point out that no matter what else, the
Aviion, running at the SAME CLOCK SPEED as my 386 PC, and with LESS CACHE,
ran the dhrystone benchmark almost 5.5 times as fast!  (Some of this is due
to better C compiler and kernel, but that's part of the product, you know.)

Another reason I listed my PC is to bring up the point that Everex in their
ads claims their 20-MHz/64K-cache PC (with just slightly higher dhrystone
numbers than mine) is 4.9 MIPS, which is right in line with the 4.7 I
calculate for mine.

This leads into the subject of whether or not the figure for the VAX is
any good.  Well, the VAX is running UNIX, but so are the other machines.
It doesn't make much sense to compare a more efficient operating system,
does it?  What if we run the dhrystone program under the Aviion's System
Control Monitor, without UNIX getting in the way??? :-)

Now, for a couple more notes:

1.  I am trusting the dhrystone figure for the VAX without any knowledge of
    where it came from (maybe Everex, and probably a number of other companies
    did too...).  If anyone has a more reliable figure, I welcome you to make
    me look incredibly stupid and post it.  In fact, Please!  I'd like better
    numbers for my own purposes, and if this is what it takes to get them,
    I find the humiliation acceptable.

2.  My computation of MIPS figures for the 386 and Aviion is based on the
    VAX UNIX dhrystone.  I got 25 MIPS for a 20 MHz Aviion!  Now that,
    to me, looks like a lot.  Data General was claiming only 20, which
    considering the above, may look a lot more reasonable to you now.

3.  Those figures are for their old products.  Somehow, between then and
    now, they have found a performance improvement of 17% across the
    board for their entire line.  Whether that is due to better hardware,
    more efficient kernel and/or C compiler, or fantasies of the marketing
    staff is beyond me.

Now, on to those new quad-processor servers.  If you add 17% to their old
MIPS rating for a 25 MHz machine (25 MIPS), you get 29.25 MIPS.  (They
claim 29 MIPS for a single-processor 25MHz machine.)  Multiply that by 4
for a quad-processor machine and you get 117.  Is this starting to make
sense yet?

You tell me!

Well, if nothing else, this explains why most everyone is drifting away from
quoting MIPS figures.  What we really want is SPECmarks, right?

I have some figures from Data General quoting SPECmarks for their Aviions.
Unfortunately, they are apparently put relative to a VAX 11/780!  I don't
understand SPECmarks well enough to understand what is going on here, but
anyway, here they are:

machine:	300	310
SPECmark:	8.7	10.2

Now, if anyone knows "official" SPECmark numbers for a VAX 11/780, please
post them!

Jay Ts, Director
Metran Technology
uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (03/24/91)

In article <384@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Now, if anyone knows "official" SPECmark numbers for a VAX 11/780, please
>post them!

Officially, exactly one SPECmark.

I don't have a SPECmark figure for recent DG products, but the
Motorola 8864SP recently got 15.2 SPECmarks. This is for the same
processor and cache, at the same clock rate (25MHz). Note that
compilers differ, from vendor to vendor and release to release.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay .. temporarily at Carnegie Mellon Robotics

mash@mips.com (John Mashey) (03/25/91)

In article <384@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>I have some figures from Data General quoting SPECmarks for their Aviions.
>Unfortunately, they are apparently put relative to a VAX 11/780!  I don't
>understand SPECmarks well enough to understand what is going on here, but
>anyway, here they are:
>
>machine:	300	310
>SPECmark:	8.7	10.2
>
>Now, if anyone knows "official" SPECmark numbers for a VAX 11/780, please
>post them!
Yes.  a VAX 11/780, with current compilers, is 1 SPECmark....
Note that SPECmark is a geometric mean of 10 benchmarks, 4 integer
and 6 FP.  If you believe mips are a measure of integer performance,
then SPECint (the mean of the 4 integer benchmarks) is a better
metric than Dhrystone...  much better.  Every computer architect knows
that Dhryste overstates performance relae to the VAX more than real programs.
In some sense, SPECint is about as good an approximation
to vax-mips as you c get for lots of machines.
The highest SPECint I've seen from DG (25MHz. 32KB cache, DG 6200)
was 15.3.  I saw some numbers from Motorola (25Mhz, 128KB, 8864SP)
as high as 18.3.

Tus, depending on compilers, memory system and such, one
would expect thruput equivalant to 4X (SPECint for 1 CPU) - (adjustment
for MP memory conflicts, which can range from a little to a lot).

Bottom line: I conjecture that the 117-mips number is based on Dhrystone,
even if it is labeled mips, rather than dhrystone-mips.
I'd also conjecture that that number is 1.75-2X higher than
a SPECint-based rating would give....
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700
USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems MS 1/05, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086