[comp.sys.m88k] three blind mice, see how they run...

newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Mike Newton) (03/27/91)

The DG AViiON mouse talks at 1200 baud to the CPU board in units
of 5 bytes, with no char.s transmitted when no actions, using rs-232:

	char 0: status = (base=) 0x80 + (L up=)0x04 + (M up=)0x02 + (R up=)0x01
	char 1: signed disp. of mouse in up-down
	char 2: signed disp. of mouse in right-left dir
	char 3: ?? (i believe associated with char 1 -- accel?)
	char 4: ?? (i believe associated with char 2 -- accel?)

	[Note: 'L up=' means the Left mouse button is up.]

Question 1: what are char's 3 and 4?

Question 2: is this the same as the ibm-pc-serial-port-mouse ?  I reallly want
to replace my mouse with a mechanical one.... (and a friend tells me there are
?? two different ibm-pc-serial-port-mouse types... if true, which style?).

Many thanks,
- mike (newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu)

ps: there are a bunch of peek/poke (mouse, tty, ..) `utilities' in the csvax
archives under dg-io... .  These are not for the faint at heart!!!

osmith@acorn.co.uk (Owen Smith) (04/02/91)

In article <newton.670062339@gumby> newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Mike Newton)
writes:

>I reallly want
>to replace my mouse with a mechanical one....

Can't see why - the Aviion mouse is by far the nicest mouse I've ever used,
although the Logitech mechanical mouse on the Acorn Archimedes is quite
good if you use a decent mouse mat. This is not a serial port mouse
so you can't use one, but Logitech may do a serial version. What do you
dislike about the Aviion mouse?

Owen (ex Aviion user/programmer).

The views expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of Acorn.