[comp.sys.m88k] Machines that use the 88's

black@par1.cs.umass.edu (David K. Black) (04/03/91)

Assuming that this aparently moribund file is concerned with the
Motorola 88100 and and 88200 RISC Chips, would anyone care to
post or send a list of currently available machines that employ them?
The only one I know about is the BBN TC2000.

Thanks,
David Black black@cs.umass.edu

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (04/05/91)

In <28747@dime.cs.umass.edu> black@par1.cs.umass.edu (David K. Black) writes:

>Assuming that this aparently moribund file is concerned with the
>Motorola 88100 and and 88200 RISC Chips, would anyone care to
>post or send a list of currently available machines that employ them?

Motorola makes some. Their customer support is great (for VAR's, anyway).
A naive domestic computer without any breeding, but I think you'll
admire its pretensions.

Martin Golding                         | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236                              |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A Poor old decrepit Pick(tm) programmer ... Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin@adpplz.uucp

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (04/06/91)

In <28747@dime.cs.umass.edu> black@par1.cs.umass.edu (David K. Black) writes:

>Assuming that this aparently moribund file is concerned with the
>Motorola 88100 and and 88200 RISC Chips, would anyone care to
>post or send a list of currently available machines that employ them?

Here is the list of 88open Certified Platforms, from the March 1991 88open
Report:

	Data General Aviions
	Dolphin Triton 88
	Harris Night Hawk 4400
	Motorola Delta 8000
	Opus Series 400 & 8000 Personal Mainframe
	Sanyo/Icon 3080, 3380 & 8000

Personal note: considering that the 88000 is by far the best microprocessor
architecture on the market, and the pioneering work of 88open into the planning
of Open Systems, I find the brevity of this list to be very depressing.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay
				(813) 979-9169

kpt@ibism.UUCP (Kevin Tyson) (04/08/91)

In article <5@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

|> Personal note: considering that the 88000 is by far the best microprocessor
|> architecture on the market, and the pioneering work of 88open into the planning
|> of Open Systems, I find the brevity of this list to be very depressing.

I agree.  Although I'm a neophyte when it comes to microprocessor architecture
I think this one has a future.  I've
tried to interest my clients in 88K based systems with the following
results:
	Data General based systems rejected out of hand.  My clients
have been burned so badly in the past they would gladly eviscerate my and any
DG representative I dragged in even if it was the best machine made and was
being given away for free.
	Tektronics is preceived as over priced for the commercial, as opposed to
the scientific marketplace.
	Motorola has not been very agressive in their marketing.  It took quite
an effort the get any information out of their 800 number and what we got was
underwhelming.
	No one seems to be moving in the OSF direction with 88K based systems
which regardless of how I feel about OSF is a drawback with my clients.

If anyone is aware of commercial software, i.e. relational databases, C++ compilers,
DEC connectivity, etc, from reputable vendors for 88k based systems
I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,
--
Kevin P. Tyson		Phone:  212-657-5928	Fax:    212-825-8607
IISA c/o Citibank	E-Mail: uunet!ibism!kpt

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (04/09/91)

In article <5@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Here is the list of 88open Certified Platforms, from the March 1991 88open
>Report:
>
>	Data General Aviions
>	Dolphin Triton 88
>	Harris Night Hawk 4400
>	Motorola Delta 8000
>	Opus Series 400 & 8000 Personal Mainframe
>	Sanyo/Icon 3080, 3380 & 8000
>
>Personal note: considering that the 88000 is by far the best microprocessor
>architecture on the market, and the pioneering work of 88open into the planning
>of Open Systems, I find the brevity of this list to be very depressing.

A few comments:

- I think that the list of 88K-based machines is MUCH longer than the list
  of machines currently certified as conforming to the 88K BCS and OCS.
  Some 88K-based systems may NEVER be certified. Consider, for instance,
  single-board computers, made by companies like Force and Tadpole, that
  run real-time executives, not Unix.

  [self-interest mode on]
  Encore makes 88K-based systems (the Encore 91 Series), too.
  [self-interest mode off]

- I like the 88K, but I'd be pretty reluctant to assert that it is "by far
  the best microprocessor architecture on the market."

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

jat@xavax.com (John Tamplin) (04/09/91)

In article <5@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Here is the list of 88open Certified Platforms, from the March 1991 88open
>Report:
>
>	Data General Aviions
>	Dolphin Triton 88
>	Harris Night Hawk 4400
>	Motorola Delta 8000
>	Opus Series 400 & 8000 Personal Mainframe
>	Sanyo/Icon 3080, 3380 & 8000
>
>Personal note: considering that the 88000 is by far the best microprocessor
>architecture on the market, and the pioneering work of 88open into the planning
>of Open Systems, I find the brevity of this list to be very depressing.
>
>				Jay Ts, Director
>				Metran Technology
>				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay
>				(813) 979-9169

IBM proved with the PC that you don't have to have the best product or even
a good one to make a lot of money.  Profit, not technical merit, is motivation
for companies.

Sun had already spent a lot of money on Sparc before the 88k came along, and
MIPS had some design wins (DEC, Stardent, etc) before the 88k existed.

I think that future generations of the respective chips will widen the
performance difference between Sparc and 88k, and may provide some inroads
there.

MIPS is currently comparable (based on technical merit), although I feel the
88k has a slight edge by not having the internals of the pipeline visible to
the compiler.  It seems that Motorola and MIPS are taking different roads for
the future -- MIPS jumping early onto the 64 bit bandwagon and Motorola aiming
for superscalar speed.  I guess we will see which one wins in a few years.

--
John Tamplin						Xavax
jat@xavax.COM						2104 West Ferry Way

smithr@ast.dsd.northrop.com (Dick Smith) (04/12/91)

In article <5@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) replies:

>Here is the list of 88open Certified Platforms, from the March 1991 88open
>Report:
>
>	Data General Aviions
>	Dolphin Triton 88
>	Harris Night Hawk 4400
>	Motorola Delta 8000
>	Opus Series 400 & 8000 Personal Mainframe
>	Sanyo/Icon 3080, 3380 & 8000

 Do not forget that there are many board vendors offering 88K products
such as VMEbus boards that are not bundled into a system. Here is a
sampling of such vendors (taken from Dec 90 issue of VMEbus Systems
magazine):

    Tadpole Technology        800-232-6656
    Motorola                  800-624-8999
    Force Computers           408-370-6300
    Aitech                    408-720-9400
    Imp                       408-429-1338
    Eltec Eletronik           818-449-1558

I currently intend to use a board from one of the above listed, along
with pSOS (Software Components Group) real time operating system.

Pete Salerno, c/o Dick Smith
Northrop ESD-RMS
smith@ast.dsd.northrop.com

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (04/12/91)

In article <5@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

| Personal note: considering that the 88000 is by far the best microprocessor
| architecture on the market, and the pioneering work of 88open into the planning
| of Open Systems, I find the brevity of this list to be very depressing.

I probably shouldn't say anything, but that never stopped me
before......

I agree with Hennesey and Patterson, that the current crop of RISC's
are more similar than they are different.  The m88k does have a few
warts:

    *	A signed divide instruction that traps if either number is
	negative.  This was the single worst feature of the machine
	when I was doing GCC development IMHO.

    *	No multiply with overflow checking.

    *	Memory load latency of 3 cycles instead of 2 cycles.

    *	FP registers in the general register pool.  I used to think
	this was a feature, but now I'm convinced it's a bug.  The
	biggest problem is you run out of registers when unrolling
	heavy FP loops.  Another problem is that it probably limits
	how fast the next generation of chips can be.  To the people
	that think it's neat so that you can do bit flipping and such,
	I had done some of that in GCC, and I and Tom Wood removed it
	because it violates the IEEE floating point spec.

    *	64-bit FP paths seem to have lots of 32-bit knotholes that
	limit performance (true of most 1st generation RISC systems).

    *	Standard doesn't include a small data area, which allows one
	instruction memory references to small static/global items.
	It was in at one time, and then removed.

    *	Passing structures on the stack.  This makes varargs real
	awkward.  The original calling sequence had the first 8
	arguments passed in registers, even if a structure was split
	between the stack and registers.  This allowed a varargs
	function to just store the 8 registers into the homing area,
	and use a char * pointer to bop through the argument list.
	Now, you have to store the 8 registers elsewhere, and use ?:
	to determine if an argument was in the first 8 words or passed
	on the stack (as if printf wasn't slow enough as is).  This
	was because a particular compiler vendor bulldozed the 88open
	committee.

    *	Time to market on the original 88100 was real late.  I suspect
	the same problem will occur with the 88110.

    *	No remainder instruction.

Things that I see as features as compared to the MIPS include:

    *	Double indexed addressing, and scaling by 2, 4, or 8.

    *	The extract bits stuff, though it can cause some code to break
	that does shift by 32.

    *	Hardware interlocks, which allows code meant for different
	implementations to work (though possibily not work at peak
	speed).

    *	{,f}cmp giving you <, =, and > status all at the same time.

    *	13 saved registers (as compared to 9 integer regs) on the
	MIPS.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (04/12/91)

meissner>     *	Standard doesn't include a small data area, which allows one
meissner> 	instruction memory references to small static/global items.
meissner> 	It was in at one time, and then removed.

But the standard does include 4 reserved registers for the linker to use as
it sees fit. Our (Harris Computer Systems Division) compiler tools include a
post-linker optimizer that uses these 4 registers to hold the 4 most common
values appearing in 'or.u' instructions, and then squeezes out the or.u
instructions.

Statistics we have gathered on a very wide range of programs show that we
almost always get the majority of the memory references this way (some
fortran programs with heavy common block usage speed up by 15-20%). In fact,
for most programs, using only 2 base registers (rather than the 4 available)
covers most of the memory references.

A "small data" area would require an omniscient compiler that could predict
ahead of time how much data any given compilation unit could be allowed to
allocate to the small data area so that it doesn't overflow once the program
is linked with all the other compilation units that allocate small data
space. If you overflow the small data area, you then have to go back and
recompile something.

meissner>     *	Passing structures on the stack.  This makes varargs real
meissner> 	awkward.

Yep. This is the stupidest bonehead idea in the whole OCS standard, but note
that it doesn't have anything to do with the hardware architecture (of
course we are still stuck with it if we want to be standard conforming).
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton) (04/12/91)

In article <14518@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
>In article <5@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>>Here is the list of 88open Certified Platforms, from the March 1991 88open
>>Report:
>>
>>	Data General Aviions
>>	Dolphin Triton 88
>>	Harris Night Hawk 4400
>>	Motorola Delta 8000
>>	Opus Series 400 & 8000 Personal Mainframe
>>	Sanyo/Icon 3080, 3380 & 8000
>>
>  Encore makes 88K-based systems (the Encore 91 Series), too.
>
>-- Jerry Callen
>   jcallen@encore.com

Are the 91 Series machines currently in production?  (Or can you say?)
I haven't heard anything at all or seen anything in the trade
press.  Personally, I think that a shared memory multiprocessor 88100
box would be ideal for heavy-duty engineering/scientific computing,
and with proper tools/compilers, it could very easily compete
in the mini-super market.

--
Richard Gorton               rcg@lpi.liant.com  (508) 626-0006
Language Processors, Inc.    Framingham, MA 01760

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr12.164153.396@lpi.liant.com> rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton) writes:
>Are the [Encore] 91 Series machines currently in production?

Yes. I use one daily. Production is just ramping up, and I _think_ all
shipments thus far are to beta sites.  I'm a techie, so I don't have
sales info. I also don't have hard performance numbers, but it's subjectively
very fast. How's THAT for vague? :-)

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

scottl@convergent.com (Scott Lurndal) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr8.155753.14742@decvax.dec.com>, kenton@abyss.zk3.dec.com (Jeff Kenton OSG/UEG)
writes:

|> C++ compilers,
|> |>

|> Try Encore and BBN.  Any others out there?

Obtain a copy of the 88open Sourcebook.  It lists available software packages
(many of which have been certified to be Binary Compatible on 88k systems,
the rest are in process of certification, or have promised to be certified).

Obtain from:

   88open Consortium Ltd.
   100 Homeland Court, Suite 800
   San Jose, Ca  95112
   Tel: +1 408 436-6600
   Fax: +1 408 436-0725

Scott Lurndal
UNISYS Network Computing Group

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/20/91)

In article <12356@ibism.uucp>, kpt@ibism.UUCP (Kevin Tyson) writes:

> If anyone is aware of commercial software, i.e. relational databases,
C++ compilers,
> DEC connectivity, etc, from reputable vendors for 88k based systems
> I'd love to hear about it.

Try Motorola Computer Group!  Depending on your need, either the
Commercial Systems Division or the Technical Systems Division should
be able to help.  CSD's phone number is (408)255-0900 and TSD's
phone number is (602)438-3418.

I have no connection with Motorola other than that it's my job :-).