[comp.sys.m88k] Need help with AV-4000 hardware

ewillis@cs.tamu.edu (Edward Dean Willis) (05/06/91)

My DG AV-4000 is developing this error usually when swapping:

Unrecoverable memory fault at physical location FFF82034 (hex)
DG/UX System Panic. Panic Code 1000037.

This is an AV-4000 with a second CPU added, running DG/UX 4.31. It was
one year old last month....

Of course, I called DG. They said mail it in -- it can be ready in only 30
days!

I have rearranged the memory (32Mb of 4Mb SIMMS) in every configuration.
Same error, same address. I suspect this is a memory mapped device
of some sort, probably the integrated SCSI.

If anyone has seen this error, knows what is at this address, or has
a clue please contact me, preferably by email at:

ewillis@neuron.tamu.edu

Thanks.

ewillis@cs.tamu.edu		|  Not an official statement from anybody,
ewillis@loanstar.tamu.edu	|  including me, myself, I, or TAMU.
anything.but.late.for.supper	|  		Trust me.

ewillis@cs.tamu.edu (Edward Dean Willis) (05/07/91)

In article <15871@helios.TAMU.EDU> ewillis@cs.tamu.edu (Edward Dean Willis) writes:
>My DG AV-4000 is developing this error usually when swapping:
>
>Unrecoverable memory fault at physical location FFF82034 (hex)
>DG/UX System Panic. Panic Code 1000037.
>

>Of course, I called DG. They said mail it in -- it can be ready in only 30
>days!

Thanks to the folks that responded so quickly. As suspected, the problem
appears to be a memory mapped device.

Lest anyone be deceived -- I am not on maintenance contract with DG, and the
30-day figure is from their service depot. I later called "DG help"
and a neat guy named Jack decoded the error address as a fault in the
I/O register for duart 1, and referred me to a local (within
100 miles) SE who is coming out to put in a new motherboard tomorrow.
For a fee, to be sure. More than my last sports car, but much better
than I had expected.

To bad the duarts are soldered in....

By 5:00, the district service manager had called, offering new ideas in
service contracts.... made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I sure hope that the new motherboard fixes the problem, or I will be
invited to a necktie party by my "peers" (They are "peering" in at
this very moment. Look sort of hungry, too.)