[comp.infosystems] Interorganizational information systems

winffww@dutrun.UUCP (Folkert W. Wierda) (11/10/89)

Finally,

There is our newsgroup. It took some time for one of us, i.e. Alexander
Verbraeck or myself, the initiators of this group, to post a message.
This was due to the fact that we seemed to be the only ones who did not
receive the group - until today.

Here is my first contribution, consisting of a request for information.
I am currently working on a piece of research on designing
interorganizational information systems. My approach is to support the
'mental modelling' of the decisionmakers of the organizations involved,
with the help of an interactive simulation model that is presented in
the form of animation. In my research this tool was developed, and now I
am testing the feasibility of the approach.

I would like to hear from any researchers working on issues of
how to design IIS, references, numbers, names, etc. Furthermore I would
like to know of other research on supporting the creating and
integration of mental models.

Of course I'm willing to inform anyone interested in my research on my
work thusfar. Thanks for any cooperation.

Folkert W. Wierda                       winffww@hdetud1.BITNET
Delft University of Technology          winffww@dutrun.tudelft.nl
Department of Information Systems
P.O. Box 356
2600 AJ Delft  The Netherlands          +31 15785811

mandel@unix.SRI.COM (Thomas F. Mandel) (11/11/89)

>Research on intraorganizational information management...etc.

Be sure to check out the work done by Terry Winograd at Stanford
University.  Also see the related thinking that is the basis for
Action Technologies "groupware" product, The Coordinator.

--Tom Mandel	mandel@unix.sri.com

nkings@demeter.axion.bt.co.uk (Nicholas J. Kings) (11/13/89)

Can anyone e-mail to me information about the following product?

The Coordinator by Action Technologies

Many Thanks, Nick

Nick@TheEndOfTime
		  "A leopard cannot change his socks."

caroma@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov13.142246.10837@axion.bt.co.uk>
nkings@demeter.axion.bt.co.uk (Nicholas J. Kings) writes:
>Can anyone e-mail to me information about the following product?
>
>The Coordinator by Action Technologies
>
>Many Thanks, Nick

The UK gateway rejects my mail messages ("not authorized"), so I hope
more people find this of interest.

See:

"Where the Action Is",
  Terry Winograd
  BYTE, December 1988, p.256A

"Computer Systems and the Design of Organizational Interaction"
  Fernando Flores, Michael Graves, Brad Hartfield, Terry Winograd
  ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems, Vol 6, #2,
  April 1988, p. 153-172

"A Language/Action Perspective on the Design of Coordinated Work"
  Terry Winograd
  HUMAN COMPUTER INTERACTION, vol 3, p 3-30, 1987-1988

UNDERSTANDING COMPUTERS AND COGNITION:  A NEW FOUNDATION FOR DESIGN,
  Terry Winograd and Fernando Flores,
  Ablex, Norwood, N.J., 1986, and Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1987

Hope this helps.

CarlManning@ai.mit.edu