[comp.infosystems] Systems to assist in travel planning

tej@philabs.philips.com (Tejwansh Singh Anand) (09/11/90)

I am looking for pointers to automated systems for travel agencies.
Can anybody provide information about systems that help such agencies
run more efficiently, doing things like providing online information
about places that people travel to and keeping track of client
information?

Also, what systems do large corporations with substantial travel departments
use to help them in their work? I am interested in systems for supporting the
travel approval process, filling of trip and expense reports, and the tracking
of the travel budget, etc.

Thanks for any information.  Please respond by e-mail to
tej@philabs.philips.com. I will post a summary of the replies I recieve.

Tej.

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (09/12/90)

In article <108015@philabs.Philips.Com> tej@philabs.philips.com (Tejwansh Singh Anand) writes:
>I am looking for pointers to automated systems for travel agencies.

Seems to me there has been considerable traffic of this type on this
group, despite the fact that the group was established as a forum for
discussion of ideas among those of us specializing in computer-based
information systems in support of organizations (business and public).

What has happened to the people who voted for this group?  Isn't anyone
conducting any research worth discussing?  Are there any ideas that need
airing?  Are there any conferences/proceedings/working papers we should
know about?

I am myself assembling a paper on information systems support for
strategic decision-making by leadership groups.  Would anyone have
recommended readings I might reference (here's your chance to be cited)?
Is there anyone out there following a similar thread?

Let's get this group going, or else "rm" it so we don't get mistaken for
software consultants.

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (09/12/90)

In article <58044@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
>In article <108015@philabs.Philips.Com> tej@philabs.philips.com (Tejwansh Singh Anand) writes:
>>I am looking for pointers to automated systems for travel agencies.
>
>Seems to me there has been considerable traffic of this type on this
>group, despite the fact that the group was established as a forum for
>discussion of ideas among those of us specializing in computer-based
>information systems in support of organizations (business and public).

Was this group named 'comp.theory.infosystems'?
No, it seems to be 'comp.infosystems' like I remembered.
While you are right in desiring some more activity from the researchers,
there is no need to prohibit practitioners from posing practical questions.
Just look at the very varied postings in groups such as
'comp.databases'.
If there is at least some traffic in this group, people can get
reminded of its existence.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)