[comp.infosystems] Summary and review of ``Reading All About Computerization''

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (06/16/91)

[This repeats an article with the same title posted to comp.groupware.
Sorry about the repetition instead of a crosspost as it should be;
Kling's original article had the same problem, and this messed up my followup.]

writings about computing generally fall into the following classes:

	(1) _Utopian_ writings, the majority, argue or assume that life
	will be better if we use new computing technology.

	(2) _Anti-utopian_ writings say it'll be worse.
	Both (1) and (2) oversimplify reality.

	(3) _Social realism_ reports real observations about computing,
	but it is too detailed.  This is typical for journalists.

	(4) _Social theory_ is more abstract, e.g. web models say you
	have to study the whole social system, not just computers separately.

	(5) _Analytical reductionism_ reduces everything to a few key
	concepts; this is controversial.

Review:  Kling favors (4) and (5), areas to which he has contributed.
But he gives little evidence that these writings produce new insights.
Instead, they merely restate commonsense ideas using academic jargon.
Groupware innovators and users might find it more useful to read the
primary sources for (1) through (3), and then think about the big
picture themselves.

kling@ics.uci.edu (Rob Kling) (06/17/91)

Paul,

Thanks for your note. Unfortunately, your comments FUNDAMENTALLY miss
the main point of the paper, as I see it.  Your comments are
consistent with the paper, but really ignore the issue of genres,
genre conventions & the limitations of the conventions.

I believe that the (anti)utopoian genres offer interesting
kinds of insights, but they are mislead in important ways,
in the same sense that the combination of romantic comedy
& tragedy have much to teach us, but also ... by their conventions...
leave out a great deal that is important about "daily life."
For example, there is little negiotiation and accomodation in
romantic comedy or tragedy ... an absense that helps heighten
the intensity of comic situations of tragic confrontations.

Similarly, the utopian and anti-utopian genres ignore important
elments of day to day compterization (eg., mediocre training,
annoying system bugs) that can shape system use patterns and
resultant social consequences. On the other hand,
the utopian genres are literatures of possibility: they can inspire
or apall us  and  dramatize hopes and fears in  ways that
go well beyond the dramas of "la vie quotidien."

If you read my paper carefully,
then I have not done a sufficient job of making
these ideas about genre conventions clear.
I appreciate your taking time to send me your comments.
I will reread the paper to make sure that my key
ideas do stand out.

/Rob

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (06/19/91)

Perhaps my review was too terse.  Partly this was because the paper was
misplaced in comp.groupware.  But even on its own terms, the paper is weak.
E.g.:

   Its whole idea of genres is overblown: for people trying to
   understand computerization issues, knowing the ``genre'' of a
   computerization book is like knowing the color of its cover --
   useful at times but quite secondary, really.

   Even assuming the idea of genres is important, why is the paper's
   classification better than any of the half dozen others that come
   to mind?

   Even assuming the paper's classification is worthy, everybody knows
   that writers have axes to grind; adult readers are used to taking
   writers' motivations into account.  Saying ``Look at the genres!''
   tells readers nothing they do not already know.

   Even assuming the paper's main point is novel, the paper does not
   justify its conclusion that social theorists and the like write
   ``discourses whose claims as valid knowledge are strongest'' and
   that only their jargon and abstruseness prevent wider acceptance.
   From the little evidence given in the paper, one might just as
   easily conclude that social theorists of computerization are ignored
   because they cannot predict their way out of a paper bag.

kling@ics.uci.edu (Rob Kling) (06/20/91)

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your note. It is virtually impossible to respond
substantively to comments which simply  criticize a piece of work
without any clear reference point. I agree with you that *you*
don't see the point of the paper (and the virtue of knowing
about the genre of specific social analyses of computerization).
But aside from slightly slanderous
comments, you don't give readers (or me) any evidence,
let alone serious evidence,  for your haughty opinions.

I am very curious to know which "half dozen other"
classification schemes you actually find much more useful,
and specificlly in what ways and why.

I believe that "Reading 'All About' Computerization
is highly relevent to people interested in
CSCW/groupware, partly because of its general argument and partly
because of the examples. Some of these cover certain kinds of
groupware (group calendars), but themes are much more general.

The point of knowing the genre of a book or article is that of being more able
to readily identify key potential strengths and blindspots in a style
of analysis. Further, for people who are trying to organize bodies
of literature for courses, reading lists, literature suvreys, etc.,
genres provide one way of appreciating which epistemological
(in constrast with topical) bases they have covered. These are not the
only uses, but they are important ones for which a classification scheme
about the kinds of insight and blind spots a style of analysis
about computerization can be useful.

In my view, a large fraction of the literature about computerization has
important technologically utopian themes which readers  often do not
recognize ... for the kinds of hopes they inspire and themes which they ignore.
The issues are important. I've recently been reading parts of the literature on
telecommuting in prpeartion for a plenary talk at a conference on
telecommuting as a way of reducing energy use and traffic congestion
in major urban areas. The literaure has lots of themes. But one important
issue that drives some analyses is the belief that "telcommuting will
really take off" when some specific enabling technologies are better developed
(e.g., teleconferencing) or widepread (e.g., ISDN).  I think that much hinges
on  arguments of this kind, and (unfortunately) many of them are cast within
the limitations of technologicaly utopian arguments. I'm a fan of telecommuting;
but see real problems with this style of argument dominating the
technological analyses in the telecommuting literature.
This is just one example.

I encourage people who are scanning this debate to read "Reading 'All About'
Computerization"  for themeselves, and to suggest serious alternative
analytical vantage points if they find the paper unconvincing.

Rob Kling

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (06/22/91)

>I am very curious to know which "half dozen other"
>classification schemes you actually find much more useful,
>and specificlly in what ways and why.

I didn't say ``much more useful'', I just asked why the paper's
classification was any better.  Here are six schemes off the top of my
head, together with brief examples of their use.

expert vs novice _audience_
  One can usually ignore expert material if one is a novice, and vice versa.

expert vs novice _writer_
  One can usually ignore writers who know little about the subject.

policy vs mechanism vs verification
  Policy is ``What should the system do?''; mechanism is ``What
  technical means should it use?''; verification is ``How do we know
  the mechanism implements the policy?''.  These issues are all
  important at different stages of building a collaborative system;
  distinguishing them clarifies design and avoids pointless arguments.

short-term vs long-term view
  One can usually ignore old literature that talks about short-term issues.

technology-driven vs market-driven
  One can usually ignore market research if one is trying to derive
  a technological solution to a known problem; and vice versa.

Who is the sponsor?
  One should not be surprised when an author from organization X
  evaluates X's system positively.

kling@ics.uci.edu (Rob Kling) writes:

>But aside from slightly slanderous
>comments, you don't give readers (or me) any evidence,
>let alone serious evidence,  for your haughty opinions.

The burden of proof is upon the original author, not the critic.
I have already spent too much time writing about this topic,
and an even more detailed rebuttal would give the original paper
an appearance of importance than it does not deserve.
When the author's best defense is to challenge the critic to do better,
it is time to rethink the paper.

As for ``haughty opinions'', the original paper smiles indulgently at
the ``fatal flaw of utopian'' writers who want to change the world,
and reserves nearly unqualified approval for social theorists because
their ``claims as valid knowledge are strongest''.
Now _that_ is haughtiness!

kling@ics.uci.edu (Rob Kling) (06/22/91)

On  request, Mr. Eggert has suggested 6 questions one can ask about
a book or article. The are useful questions for some purposes, but don't
give much insight into the epistemological strengths and limitations of
an approach.  Moreover, few of them are pertinent to understanding key
assumptions/strengths/limitations of a SOCIAL analysis of the use or
consequences of some form of computerization.

Given Mr. Eggert's limitations, I encourage readers  to take some time
to examine the article for themselves. In my first reply I generously suggested that his summary was "consistent" with the article. This is not exactly true.
For example, he characterized my criticism of social realism  as a concern that
the accounts were too detailed. For simplicty, social relist acocunts are the
"you are there" approaches of good journalism and ethnography,
like "Soul of a New machine" (Tracy Kidder).
The details make the story ... and can vividly trigger readers'
insights through empathy. The details are a strength, inn my view.
The limitations which I described in "Readings ..." is that the
social realist  accounts are often too concrete .. authors don't usually
generalize beyond the development, use or impacts of a specific technology
in a given place and  time. While (anti)utopian accounts explicitlty examine
future possibilities, and social theory generalizes across cases,
social realism is locked into concerte instances.

I believe that social realist acocunts porvide useful bases for theorizing.
Unfortuately, there are few high quality social realist accounts of groupware.
(Exceptions include Chris Bullen and John Bennet's "Groupware in Practice")

Eggert's summaries of my characterization & views of other genres are also
off the mark.

Again, I suggest reading the article if you're curious rather than
relying upon Eggert's inaccurate "summary."

Best wishes,

Rob Kling

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1991 03:08:14 GMT

------- End of Forwarded Message