[net.columbia] Shuttle Coverage on Cable News Network

kh (11/15/82)

If you get Cable News Network on your TV, you should watch for
the coverage of the shuttle. This (Sunday) morning, they carried
the live TV from the shuttle every time it passed over the U.S.
They had it for about 15 or 20 minutes at a time. They showed
them eating a meal (breakfast or lunch?), still no coffee with
cream. On the next orbit, they were conducting some of the student
experiments.

Though they call it "live" coverage, it must go through two or maybe
three satellites before it gets to your house. The signal could be
delayed over a second.

shuster@ttidcb.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (05/01/85)

I have heard that CNN (Cable News Network) provided extended, or even
continuous coverage of shuttle flights, but as yet I haven't seen any
more than the ten or twenty seconds that the standard networks
provide. Does anyone know scheduled broadcast times for this
coverage? (I subscribe via Communicom in the LA area).

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (05/02/85)

> I have heard that CNN (Cable News Network) provided extended, or even
> continuous coverage of shuttle flights, but as yet I haven't seen any
> more than the ten or twenty seconds that the standard networks
> provide.

CNN did a really fine job on the satellite rescue mission;  there were
solid hours of nothing but the shuttle.  Unfortunatley, CNN now seems
to have adopted the prevailing view that only "firsts" are important.
Their coverage of the last two missions has been better than the major
networks only in that CNN runs all day long, so you get the opportunity
to see the twenty second slot twelve times instead of twice.

I long for the days of my youth, when the entire country sat on the
edge of its seat (figuratively speaking) for the entire duration of
an Apollo mission.  Forget this crock about the declining newsworthy-
ness of space being an indicator of how commonplace it has become --
I still find it fascinating and wish the media paid more attention!

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

zben@umd5.UUCP (05/02/85)

Local channel 56 (a very independant station) seems to be dovetailing some
continuous shuttle coverage with broadcasts of "the clown show" (my own
personal name for the continuous coverage of the House of Representatives).
We had about a half hour view of the mercury-iodide vapor crystal growth
experiment and some time while they were fiddling with the triglycine
sulfate (?) liquid crystal growth experiment.  Meanwhile they were trying to
fix the intercom system - they had the pilot's comm box plugged into the
mission commander's sockets cause it worked there.  I only watched for awhile
before coming to work but its really neat...

They must be picking it up from somewhere.  There were periodic announcements
of shows that would only be on something called "NASA SELECT" which I assume
is some internal TV network - but they weren't letting those shows out onto
the air.  Perhaps one has to pay for them... :-)

The call letters for channel 56 are WNVT (northern virginia television) serving
Fairfax, D.C., and Prince Georges County (MD) but I am so close to the border
with P.G. I can get it, albeit very fuzzy.  Really frustrating - I would have
liked to see the crystal growth stuff much more clearly.
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (05/03/85)

Have you thought about a satellite dish?  NASA has two transponders
that carry about as much info as anyone could possibly want.

Also it may pay to contact your cable company and ask them if
this information could be put on as a locally generated
program.  If you started a call in campaign it may just work...

Phil Gunsul -- AT&T CP

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (05/06/85)

[...]

You may wish to write to CNN as I am about to do...

		Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS)
		1050 Techwood Drive, NW
		Atlanta, GA   30318

		Telephone (404)827-1500

Phil Gunsul -- AT&T IS -- Montgomery Works -- (312) 859-4485

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (05/06/85)

> I long for the days of my youth, when the entire country sat on the
> edge of its seat (figuratively speaking) for the entire duration of
> an Apollo mission.  Forget this crock about the declining newsworthy-
> ness of space being an indicator of how commonplace it has become --
> I still find it fascinating and wish the media paid more attention!
>
> Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712
>
> -- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
>       {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

     I, too, long for those days and feel the same fascination with space and
space travel that I did in my youth.  It may become "commonplace", but it's
still very interesting for me.

     How many have cut class or gotten up at 2 or 3 in the morning on a school
night and sneaked into the living room to watch a Ranger craft send pictures
back from the Moon?  At age ~8?

     Do any of the networks(CNN, etc.) announce times when they will be
covering these events so that they may be recorded on VCR for viewing at a
later time?

                                 From the alter ego of--

                                 Kchula-Rrit
                                 !menlo70!nsc!nessus

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/07/85)

In article <16869@mgweed.UUCP>, prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) writes:
> Have you thought about a satellite dish?  NASA has two transponders
> that carry about as much info as anyone could possibly want.
>
> Also it may pay to contact your cable company and ask them if
> this information could be put on as a locally generated
> program.  If you started a call in campaign it may just work...
>
> Phil Gunsul -- AT&T CP

	Phil, if you have more detail on those transponders, (which
satellite, which frequency etc...) could we have it please. That way,
when we call our respective cable companies we can say..."Yeah, uh,
NASA puts all this information on such 'n such a satellite at such
'n such frequency". That way, they couldn't complain that they don't
know where the information is.

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward
     {decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}!cbosgd! -|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

tomm@asgb.UUCP (Tom Mackey) (05/11/85)

> I long for the days of my youth, when the entire country sat on the
> edge of its seat (figuratively speaking) for the entire duration of
> an Apollo mission.  Forget this crock about the declining newsworthy-
> ness of space being an indicator of how commonplace it has become --
> I still find it fascinating and wish the media paid more attention!
>

> Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

I agree!  I have had the pleasure of being directly involved with the space
shuttle (HRSI project at LMSC) and would love to see better news coverage.
If anyone out there is connected with netwok news coverage, consider this my
vote for improved coverage of all space missions.  I get particularly
dissapointed when I get up several hours early to watch the shuttle liftoff
only to find nothing on but inane early morning talk shows.  Even CNN has of
late been letting us down.

Tom Mackey
Burroughs ASG
{sdcsvax sabre}bmcg!asgb!tomm