[swnet.sys.ibm.pc] copy protect

jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) (01/09/90)

Hello,

How do I copy protect ibm pc exe,com files.
I've compiled a Dbase application and I don't
won't people to make copys of it.
What are the solutions ?

Sincerley Jonas

jonas@lkbpyr.lkb.se

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/10/90)

In article <399@lkbpyr.UUCP> jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) writes:
>Hello,
>
>How do I copy protect ibm pc exe,com files.
>I've compiled a Dbase application and I don't
>won't people to make copys of it.
>What are the solutions ?
>
>Sincerley Jonas
>
>jonas@lkbpyr.lkb.se

Gather up all copies and set fire to them.  No one will ever copy them
after that and the world will be spared from yet another copy protected
program.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

jbeard@ntvax.uucp (Jeff Beardsley) (01/11/90)

How do you copy protect?:  YOU DO NOT!

Sure it is possible to copy protect, through various unsavory means, but
as already discussed in the ancient past (2-3 years ago), even the most
vile offenders, (Lotus Corp., and Ashton Tate) have stopped for the most
part.

One different possibility is to allow users to copy to their hearts
content, and have changing passwords or a codebook, etc, so that only
the buyer (hypothetically) can use it.  Still, if you would like the
software user to respect you as a software author/distributor, don't
even do this, just let them use it.

--
----- <Jeff Beardsley> --------------------- <jbeard@dept.csci.unt.edu> -----
Any similarity between my opinions and the opinion of any other person,