[alt.peeves] Commercial Peeves

wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling) (01/16/90)

In article <4266@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> tiffanyb@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Brian Tiffany) writes:

   >Jesus harry christ.
   >--

   um, Paul, the H in Jesus H. Christ stands for Harold.
   You know, "... Thy Kingdom come, Harold be thy name"

   :->

   (I didn't think this up, but can't remember where I heard it.)

I always thought it was Hallmark, 'cause god cared enough to send the very
best.

		Wayne
--
--->  Sometimes I have evil thoughts......
--->        GC.

grantham@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Grantham) (01/17/90)

In article <15568@boulder.Colorado.EDU> lascola@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Rob Lascola) writes:
>In article <1570@castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley) writes:
>>The worst commercial I have ever seen was only, to the best of my
>>knowledge, shown once.
>   [summary of Pepsi commercial linking the product w/the fall of the
>	Berlin Wall]
>Unfortunately, on this side of the pond, this commercial has gotten quite a
>bit more air time.  It's actually just a drop in a tidal wave of similarly
>styled ads that has crashed across the TV screens of America - 25 seconds of
>warm fuzzy scenes which have NOTHING to do with the last 5 seconds, when
>the product is mentioned (as if the product was responsible for it, as Paul
>points out).

Hey.  I like these.  Then I only have 5 seconds to ignore.  I'd rather have
the 25 seconds be something I like to see than a bunch of hard sell.  True,
I'm not going to buy Pepsi because of it, but let's not tell them about it.
I mean, why don't you guys complain because they have commercials during news
shows, as if their products are responsible for the news?  After all the
products have nothing to do with the news (usually).  All that the product is
responsible for is showing the pictures of the wall being torn down.  Would
people complain about a commercial that was 55 seconds of a comedian telling
a good joke & 5 seconds of the Pamprin logo?
I mean, c'mon...

Jon
--
grantham@math.lsa.umich.edu   Jon_Grantham@ub.cc.umich.edu   grantham@super.org