[alt.peeves] Radio Shack is brain-damaged!!!

ain14922@merrimack.edu (01/19/90)

In article <33975@mips.mips.COM>, jason@mips.COM (Jason Ehrhart) writes:

> If they ask me for my name and address, I make up a new one  each
> time.   You  can  actually  have  alot  of  fun with this ploy. I
> figure, if I pretend I don't know about their little ad  game,  I
> won't  get  a hassle from the sales puke. I am out of there fast,
> no fuss, no ads.

  Actually, what I always do is something which takes up little time and
_really_ infuriates the sales dweebs no end (and I say dweebs only because it
takes a real dweeb to *insist* on getting a name and address after someone has
politely refused, and is so indoctrinated as to use weak ploys like the
warranty one)

  First, refuse to give your address once or twice.  This lets them know that
you object.  One they start in on their ploys, get mad and say:

	"OK, buddy, I'll give you AN address, but it won't be MINE!"

  This tactic totally stifles them.  Being good little dweebs, they wouldn't
want to put an incorrect address down, but they can hardly accuse you of lying,
even if you said you are going to.  Usually they stumble along for a while and
finally ask for *your* address.  At this point, what you do is smile slyly and
in your best condescending voice say:

   	"Ohhhhh....I get it...you want myyy home address, ehhhh? Welll,okayyy."

   Then proceed to give them some totally fake-sound address like
John Smith, 1 Main Street, Anytown USA, 00001.  This causes even more
consternation because they can't say anything.  All you have to do is say,
"What, are you saying I'm LYING after I told you I'd give you my address?"

   The real beauty of this ploy is that it can be as long or short as you like.
Sometimes all you need is the first statement, but sometimes you can drag it
out as long as you like if you are having fun.  I've had people ask to see some
ID, or gotten into long logical arguments along the lines of the old
"Everything I say is a lie.  I am now telling you the truth."  Sometimes they
even get the manager over, in which case you can have even more fun... Try
denying the whole thing, giving the kid your real address and whipping out your
liscence to prove it.  This generally gets the kind in trouble...hehehe
--
Douglas D. Linder                  AIN14922@merrimack.edu
Merrimack College, N. Andover, MA  {uunet,wang,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!ain14922