[alt.peeves] Correct English

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (01/18/90)

In article <1558@skye.ed.ac.uk>, ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) writes:
> In article <2723@paperboy.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>
> >	Maaahsterpiece(*) Theatere is made possible by a grant from Mobil
> >	Corporation, which invites you to join with them in supporting...
> >				 ^		    ^^^^
> >
> >Well?  Are they it, or is it them?
>
> It is correct British English except for the `with', which should have
> been omitted: `join them'.
>
> In British English, corporations, governments etc.  usually take a
> plural verb: the government act, the company make a profit, etc.
  ^^^^^^ ^^^^
> Strictly, this is incorrect, and speakers of American English usually
> get it right: the Governmernt acts, the company makes a profit, et sim.

Precisely my point.  The above has a *singular* verb, but a plural
pronoun.  I think it's just Mobil being chummy and saying that we're
all really a bunch of perfectly lovable, real, human beans, and not a
faceless corporation like, say E***n.

Also, in alt.peeves, mmeyer@m2.csc.ti.com (Mark Meyer) writes:
>>                                 Why can't Mobil get a simple piece
>>of grammar right (a pronoun should agree with their antecedent)?
>                   ^^^^^^^^^                   ^^^^^
>
>	Sorry, I just couldn't resist pointing this out.  Or is this
>one of those unmarked pieces of sarcasm that have been turning up in
>this group?

Mea culpa.  My reference is a grammar checklist that I remember from
somewhere, in which the errors is illustrated within the rules: "Never
use a preposition to end a sentence with", that sort of thing.

(*)In case the British readers haven't heard, and haven't been
listening to "Letter from America", Masterpiece Theatre (is
it er or re?) is a weekly series on Posh Television, which presents
the best of recent British drama (initially BBC, but now it seems
mainly Granada or Thames).  It's framed by a few brief words from
Alistair Cooke.  Since many good programs are now produced by British
commercial TV (which many Americans doesn't know exists) and have to
fill an hour on American non-commercial TV (which many British don't
know exists) his brief words are sometimes not so brief.  He once
related that, when this phenomenon first occurred, with "Upstairs
Downstairs", many people thought he was an integral part of the show.

Another obscure anecdote from:
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/19/90)

In article <2793@paperboy.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
> Mea culpa.  My reference is a grammar checklist that I remember from
> somewhere, in which the errors is illustrated within the rules: "Never
> use a preposition to end a sentence with", that sort of thing.

"This is something up with which I will not put."
                   -- attributed to Winston Churchill

It's a rather dumb rule which really doesn't exist as a rule of
grammar in the strictest sense, at least according to my _Dictionary_
_of_Misinformation_.  It is more a style rule than a grammar rule and
sometimes the convolutions required to follow it leave a sentence
sounding very unnatural.

Peeve: people that chastise me for ending a sentence with a
preposition in conversational speech.

mjh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Matthew J. Henken) (01/20/90)

In article <VXSTJ_@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>In article <2793@paperboy.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>> Mea culpa.  My reference is a grammar checklist that I remember from
>> somewhere, in which the errors is illustrated within the rules: "Never
>> use a preposition to end a sentence with", that sort of thing.
>
>"This is something up with which I will not put."
>                   -- attributed to Winston Churchill
>
>It's a rather dumb rule which really doesn't exist as a rule of
>grammar in the strictest sense, at least according to my _Dictionary_
>_of_Misinformation_.  It is more a style rule than a grammar rule and
>sometimes the convolutions required to follow it leave a sentence
>sounding very unnatural.

Let me support your position with a quote from Webster's Dictionary of English
Usage copyright 1989:

"As is not the case with some of the other long-lived topics examined in this
book, recent commentators--at least since Fowler 1926--are unanimous in their
rejection of the notion that ending a sentence with a preposition is an error or
an offense agaist propriety.  Fowler terms the idea a 'cherished superstition.'"

Now, perhaps this provides some ammunition to ward of attackers with...
narrowly avoiding ending a sentence with a preposition, which I did not :-).

By the way, the quote attributed is more accurately reported as:
"This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."  according to
Bartlett's Familiar Quotations

Ob.Peeve:
Administrators: There are more here at Dartmouth than there are professors, and
they have more authority and influence on the students.  Not my idea of a
healthy educational institution.  I can't even imagine the bull that students
at larger schools have to put up with. (up with which they have to put?)
--
"Basic error: to place the goal in the herd and not in single individuals! The
herd is a means, no more! But now one is attempting to understand the herd as an