[ut.chinese] UTC NEWS Special

chengpi@ecf.toronto.edu (CHENG) (10/17/89)

NEWS UTC    Special Issue                                Oct.16, 1989
>From NEWS UTC

Dear Readers:

	This information is about the change of policy in the School of
Continuing Studies, University of Toronto,  which may affects those most
who are planning for their friends or relatives to come to U of T for
English studying purpose.

	We received a recent letter from the School of Continuing
Studies of UT which is posted below.  The original version of this letter
clearly stated that the policy change applies to PRC citizens.  Because of
a strong reaction raised by this, the current version removed the specific
PRC citizenship.  However, most of us understand what the policy change
really implies.  We think it is a king of discrimination against us.

	we invite you to give us your points of view and suggestions on
this issue.  Also, we need people to help us dealing with this problem.

School of Continuing Studies
University of Toronto

     NOTICE OF CHANGE IN POLICY FOR CITIZENS OF OTHER COUNTRIES REGARDING

Please note the following changes to our policy. This replaces the policies in
our brochures, Official Receipt, correspondence and other publications.

    1. The tuition fee is due and payable at the time of registration. Payment
       must be made by certified cheque, money order, Visa, MasterCard or cash.
    2. Transfer will not be allowed.
    3. The total fee is non-refundable and consideration for a refund, less an
       administration fee (25% of the tuition fee) , will only be given to
       applicants who forward the original letter from the Canadian Embassy
       indicating that a visa was not granted. This letter must be received in
       this office 30 days before the start of the course.
    4. Under no other circumstances will a refund be granted.

Note: Policy for Canadian citizens and landed immigrants remains as outlined
      in our brochure and other publications (see section on Refunds and Transfers).

  Lorraine Nishisato
 Assistant Director (Client Services) and Registrar

Effective: October 4, 1989

chengpi@ecf.toronto.edu (CHENG) (10/17/89)

NEWS UTC           Special Issue                         Oct.17, 1989

To Dear Readers:

In the past weeks, we had discussions on the function of CSSA (LYH). Today
we post this special issue which collects all papers posted on NEWS UTC
and some mails between editors and readers related to this topic. We hope
that this will help you to have a whole picture of what happened.

We believe that such kind of discussions help to improve our work and
to create a (more) democratic and active atmosphere. This is the first
time that we had an open discussion about our own.  Although there may be
some misunderstanding or misconception, we will work hard to have a better
mutual-understanding.

As we claimed at the foundation of NEWS UTC, chengpi@ecf is our working
account. All papers posted from here is not written by chengpi. It is
our policy that we will only reveal the author's name if he or she agrees.
But it does not mean that NEWS UTC will post nonsense or any personal
attack stuff.

We will keep trying to do more. Remember, we depend on your support.
We hope that we can still get your support by your participating. NEWS UTC
is YOUR forum to express YOUR ideas and suggestions. Thank you.

******************
This article was posted on Oct.11, NEWS UTC Issue25.

 This article was written by one of recipients who knows CSSA at UT.
   It will answer some readers' questions. But it has not been checked by
   the governing committee of Lian Yi Hui yet. NEWS UTC

=========       ABOUT OUR CSSA (LIAN YI HUI) at TORONTO        ================

    The chair person of LYH of U. T. has been changed since September.  The
formal chair of LYH, Mr. Gu Chun, quited this job for his personal reason.
    Mr. Gu was a Ph.D student at Law Department of UT. Recently he
gave up his Ph.D Candidate at Law school of U.T. and registered as an under-
graduate student at the Law School of York University. The reason  to do so,
by quoting some of his friends, is that  one must have a first degree in law
in one of Canadian universities if he wants to become a lawyer in Canada.
    We wish he successes in new university.

    The current chair person of LYH is Mr. Jiang Xunhao, a Ph.D. candidate at
Ontario cancer institute. The new chair is selected by the governing body of
LYH. The current vice chair in charge of external affair is Mr. Li bin, a Ph.D.
student at civil engineering.The other vice chairs are Mr. Song Qiang,a visiting
scholar at Ontario Hydro, and Mr. Xu Jinshu, a visiting scholar at mechanical
engineering. Other committee members are: Mr. Pan Rui, a Ph.D. student from
management school, in charge of communication; Mr. Liao Jianqiao, a Ph.D
student at industrial engineering, who is in charge of sports; Mr. Shi Yinhuan,
a post-doctor fellower at physics, who is in charge of entertainment; and
Mr. Yuan Qingrong a visiting scholar from forest faculty who is in charge of
movie; etc.

    The current LYH plays a very low profile in democratic movement here in
Toronto, in order to avoid the direct contradiction with Chinese consulate,
since LYH each year gets some subsidies from the consulate. It is believed that
this strategy adopted by LYH meets the majority of member's will.  To show the
goodwill between the LYH and consulate, some key member of LYH get the
invitations for the dinner party which is held by the consulate to celebrate
the fortyth anniversary of PRC.

    U of T is one of the member school of ACSS( Quan Jia Xue Lian), although
it has not been officially voted by all its members, whereas it did in other
University like York, McMaste and Waterloo, etc..

This comment was written by Li Anshan on Oct. 11, regarding to the above.

Sender: <daemon@csri.toronto.edu>
From:   CHENG <chengpi@ecf.toronto.edu>
To:     utchinese@csri.toronto.edu
Subject: LYH
Date:   Sat, 14 Oct 89 17:26:52 EDT

-------------------------------------
DISCUSSION ON THE FUNCTION OF LYH
-------------------------------------
From:   anshan li <ANSHANLI@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject:      Re: NEWS UTC
To:     CHENG <chengpi@ecf.toronto.edu>

      The information about our LYH in past issue is very useful, but I
think the last two paragraphs are more than necessary. We can (actually
should) discuss the function of LYH, evaluate its roles or even criticise
its leaders , because we are the members, it is our organization and the
leaders are representatives elected by us. We can do all these as individuals
or, as members. Yet I would consider it unsuitable for "chengpi'-the utc
network to make certain judgement. Being objective and providing the most
reliable information is much more important for a communication network---
that is the means by which you can get your credibility step by step.

     I would appreciate if you can forward this to other members if you
think it might be useful.
* We posted it because we thought it's useful. NEWS UTC

Then we got other notes: On Oct.14  from Song Wenyi

Date:   Sat, 14 Oct 89 19:08:45 EDT
From:   Wenyi Song <songw@csri.toronto.edu>
To:     chengpi@ecf.toronto.edu, utchinese@ecf.toronto.edu
Subject: Re:  LYH

>-------------------------------------
>DISCUSSION ON THE FUNCTION OF LYH
>-------------------------------------
>From:  anshan li <ANSHANLI@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
>Subject:      Re: NEWS UTC
>To:    CHENG <chengpi@ecf.toronto.edu>
>
>      The information about our LYH in past issue is very useful, but I
>think the last two paragraphs are more than necessary. We can (actually
>should) discuss the function of LYH, evaluate its roles or even criticise
>its leaders , because we are the members, it is our organization and the
>leaders are representatives elected by us. We can do all these as individuals
>or, as members. Yet I would consider it unsuitable for "chengpi'-the utc
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>network to make certain judgement. Being objective and providing the most
 ^^^^^^^
>reliable information is much more important for a communication network---
>that is the means by which you can get your credibility step by step.
>
>     I would appreciate if you can forward this to other members if you
>think it might be useful.

In order to avoid further confusion, I'd like to make a clarification here.

NEWS UTC is a news service provided by a group of Chinese students in the
University. They broadcast news from the account chengpi@ecf.

For anyone who read the introduction to ut(.)chinese, it should be clear that
this network is a forum for everyone who wants to discuss issues related to
China. As a member of the network, either NEWS UTC or the person for whom they
posted the comments about LYH certainly has every right to do so.

On the other hand, please don't consider opinions expressed in their messages
carry the voice of the network. No one would be so naive as to believe the
existence of such an authoritative voice in this democratic place.

In summary, NEWS UTC is not equal to utchinese.

By the way, several leaders of our LYH have access to utchinese, in particular,
Mr. JIANG Xungao, the Chairperson. In my humble opinion, they could speak out
and keep our fellow utchinese better informed.

If anyone has problems with posting to the network, please let me know. I'll
try my best to help solve the problem. Meanwhile, he/she could send the article
to some friends who can post, or to NEWS UTC, since they promised not to censor
any article sent to them without permission from the author.

Your fellow utchinese,

Wenyi Song
songw@csri.toronto.edu

On Oct.14, NEWS UTC posted a letter from one reader

Dear Editor:

     In one piece of the past news I posted a personal description
of the current situation of LYH. It was edited into UT.Chinese issue.
Here I want to make it clear that it only carried my personal opinion
and any discussion is welcomed on this network. Please forward these
to me in the open manner.

     As I understand, we are fighting for a democratic future. UT is more
or less a silent place. Personally I like to discuss the function of LYH
since it is the only organization we have.

     First of all, no matter for what sake it is, I think LYH really keeps
low profile. On Oct. 12, SAC organized a special event (the day of tears)
many non-chinese were moved by the shows and about $90 was collected for
sending letters to China. To my surprise, most of the LYH leaders did not
show up. They even did not lend a hand for the preparation.

     I wonder why LYH is doing this, for getting money from Chinese
Consulate or other unknown sakes. Also, I heard the 'rumor' that some
of these "leaders" were so happy to attend the celebration party for
Chinese National Day on Sept. 28.

     Many students and my friends share this opinion with me:
 "our LYH should stand up for most of us and fight in the front line."

					     Sincerely

					     A reader of UT.Chinese

On Oct.15, Jiang Xunhao, the chairman of LYH, wrote a public letter

Date:   Sun, 15 Oct 89 18:49:00 EDT
Sender: <daemon@csri.toronto.edu>
From:   <JIANG%UTOROCI.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
To:     utchinese@csri.toronto.edu

Dear UTC editor,

I am the interim Chairperson of LYH at U. of. T. I welcome the open
debate on the role of LYH in the movement for democracy in China.
The LYH executive committee was elected by LYH members. According to
the principles of democracy, every member has the right to express
his/her opinions and concerns over LYH affairs. Here I would like to
respond to the criticisms raised by "chengpi", and I personally take
full responsibility for what follow bellow.

(1) The stand of LYH executive committee in the struggle for democracy
in China is firm and clear: we strongly condemn the brutal violence of
the current Chinese Government in the crackdown of the student movement,
and we believe that only a democratic system can bring prosperity to our
motherland. we are part of the struggle. As you may know, many of the
LYH executive committee members have been active in the movement. LYH
has been directly or indirectly involved in organizing the 'Save Wong
 Dan' and 'October 1st' protests. These are the facts nobody can deny.

(2) LYH is a social, not a political organization. Besides, there is a
general consensus that the mainstream of struggle for democracy in the
near future is not more public rallies but other more effective means,
including self-education. Future LYH organized activities in this respect
will be based on the above considerations. In addition, we believe that
maintaining a working relationship with the Chinese Consulate is in the
interest of majority members. In doing so, we will make sure that our
stand in the democratic movement is not compromised.

(3) As for the 'Day of Tears' event organized by SAC, I was informed only
two day before. by that time, it was too late to mobilize LYH members
though we did put up notices in the two Marriage Students Buildings in the
name of SAC.

(4) To my best knowledge, some U. of T. Chinese students were invited
by the Chinese Consulate to attend the National Day Party, including some
LYH members. Those attended only represented themselves and had
absolutely nothing to do with the organization of LYH.

(5) LYH at U. of T. currently has more than 400 members while the LYH
executive committee consists of only 10 people. These executives are
all full time students or scholars, and are all extremely busy. we are
serving LYH members on voluntary basis with our good will. I WOULD LIKE
TO ANNOUNCE ON BEHALF OF ALL LYH EXECUTIVES THAT WE DO NOT GET ANY
BENEFITS FROM IT. Chengpi's accusation of 'getting money from Chinese
Consulate' is totally unfounded and he/she owes all of us an explanation.
Furthermore, Since our manpower in very limited in view of the size of
our LYH membership, members are encouraged to form their own clubs of
interest, LYH executive committee will be supportive financially.

(6) LYH is organized on the principles of democracy. Members of LYH are
free to criticize any executive decisions. but anyone should do so openly
and take full responsibility. From what I know, 'Chenpi' is not a real
name. If one wants to criticize someone else, he/she should at least have
the guts and decency to ues his/her true name.

Best wishes.

Yours

X. Jiang
Remark: It seems that Jiang misunderstood some of the sentences. The author of
the original paper might not mean to say that the executives of LYH got subside
for themselves, but refer to the fact that LYH got money from the consulate.
Once again, we claim that the paper was written by one of our readers,
not chengpi.

NEWS UTC
OK, dear readers, how do you think about this discussion? It is the first
time. Emotional + misunderstanding + frustrating + ... => Better Understanding

NEWS UTC