2. If You Are Honored to Be in TAM Square on Oct. 1 ...
From: MBCSPSW@CMS.MANCHESTER-COMPUTING-CENTRE.AC.UK
[Source: soc.culture.china, 10/28/89]    (By Sanyee)

    A Chinese woman came here recently from Beijing. She told me
something about the dancing party on Tian An Men Square on Oct.1 evening.
No students were allowed to be there. All the young people were from local work
units. Every unit sent 50 people. Only those who did not joint the march could
become one of these. Once a person was decided to be one of these 50, he/she
had to be there, no matter what happened, even if he/she was sick. Everybody
had to have two photo pictures: one was kept by authroity, the other would be
carried by this person on his/her chest on that evening. Once they entered the
square, they could not leave freely. When someone wanted to go to bathroom, he
had to find 5 people, and get a ticket from the authority. Isn't this sound
radiculous? But that is the way it is.
3. Policy of Overseas Study: New Regulation Drafted
  DATELINE: BEIJING (AP)   October 26, 1989           (From JD)

  China  is  sending as many government-sponsored students abroad this year
as in past years but will make changes in their criteria and where they are
sent, an official said Thursday.

   The   official  did  not  comment  on  privately  funded  students.  The
government  is  expected  to  enact new regulations that will sharply limit
their numbers.

    For  all  of  1989,  5,000  students are being sent abroad with central
government  funds,  the official Xinhua News Agency quoted the unidentified
official of the Overseas Students Service Center as saying.

    It  said  this  is the same number as were sent in each of the past two
years. In other recent statements, the government put the number being sent
annual at 3,000. The discrepancy could not immediately be resolved.
    Xinhua  noted  the  figure  did  not  include  students  sent  by local
governments  or  work  units.  It  also  does not include students who find
private sponsors or win scholarships from overseas colleges.

    "Rational  readjustment will be carried out this year in respect to the
percentage  of  students  sent  to various countries and the composition of
students," the official said.

    "Improvement  is  needed  in the selection of students. The tendency to
stress  foreign language only while neglecting comprehensive quality should
be put right."

    He did not elaborate, but education officials have said students should
show  they  are  ideologically sound as well as academically qualified. The
government  also  has said it will send fewer students for long-term degree
programs, and more short-term visiting scholars.

    China  is  concerned  that  many  students sent overseas have failed to
return,  and  many  of those who do return are filled with Western economic
and political ideas, such as democracy.

    The  impact of this new policy has yet to be felt because many students
going  abroad  this year made arrangements well in advance. There have been
individual  cases  of students or older scholars who planned to go overseas
but  have  not  been  permitted  to because of suspected involvement in the
crushed spring democracy movement.

    The  State  Education Commission has drafted new regulations that would
sharply  cut the number of overseas students by requiring college graduates
to  first  work  at  least five years in China, according to sources in the
commission and at universities.

    The  requirement  would  apply to students who find their own financial
sponsors  or  win  scholarships from foreign schools. They are estimated to
number several thousand each year.

    The  sources  say  the  draft regulations are still being discussed but
likely will be approved next year.

    More  than  half of China's approximately 80,000 students abroad are in
the  United  States,  and the rest are concentrated in Japan, Australia and
Canada.

    English is the second language studied by most college students.
4. Faxing to China: a Campaign by 15 Worldwide Magazines
  BY: POPYK, LISA
  DATELINE: PARIS (UPI)   October 26, 1989      (From JD)

  Chinese  dissidents  teamed  up  with  15 worldwide magazines Thursday to
launch  "Operation  Fax  Liberty  into  China," a campaign to flood Chinese
facsimile machines with pro-democracy messages.

   The  campaign  begins  Friday  when  the French magazine Actuel hits the
streets,  calling on readers to tear out a one-page "newspaper," written in
Chinese  by Paris-based Chinese dissidents, and send it by facsimile to one
of 5,200 fax machines in China.

    Over  the  next three months, the 14 other participating magazines will
publish  similar news stories, also written by the Federation for Democracy
in China.

    The  Chinese  stories  are  accompanied  by  a  translations  in  other
languages.

    "Hopefully,  this  will  break  the wall of silence in China," said Yan
Jiaqi,  president  of  the  Democratic  Federation,  which  was  formed  in
September  by  dissidents who fled their homeland in the wake of the June 4
massacre in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.

    "We  feel  (the  operation)  fits in perfectly with our non-violent and
pacifist  battle"  against  repression in China, Yan told a news conference
Thursday.

    A spokesman for Actuel said the magazine hopes that by Friday night its
readers  will  have  faxed, at $3.25 each, 1,000 copies of the newspaper to
the designated hotels, universities, businesses and embassies in China.

5. Chinese Minister Tells Nixon: Ties With U.S. Must Be Mended
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 89 18:05:55 EST
From: "mr. yawei" <YAWEI%AQUA.DECnet@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

   Chinese Minister Tells Nixon Ties With U.S. Must Be Mended

    BEIJING - Foreign Minister Qian Qichen toasted former U.S. President
Richard Nixon Saturday for restoring ties between their nations 17 year ago.
He said the ties must now be mended in the interests of world peace.
Qian spoke at a welcoming banquet for Nixon on the first evening of his
private visit to China as a guest of the government.

    The visit is Nixon's sixth to China, beginning with the 1972 trip
that began a rapproachment after decades of hostility. Nixon's schedule
and length of stay are unknown.

    Nixon was greeted by Vice Foreign Minister Liu Huaqiu.

    ''The overall interests of safeguarding world peace and the
long-term interests of our two countries ... require us to make a
success of Chinese-U.S. relations,'' the official Xinhua News Agency quoted
Qian as saying in his banquet toast.

    ''Chinese-U.S. relations are at a crossroads,'' he said. ''We sincerely
hope that the U.S. government will weigh the pros and cons and take a
forward-looking approach so that Chinese-U.S. relations may return to
the track of normal development at an early date.''

    Qian's comments were milder and more hopeful than any other recent
government statements, most of which have bitterly accused the U.S. of
interfering in Chinese affairs.

    The U.S. has criticized China's use of the army in June to crush
student pro-democracy protests and its subsequent arrests of thousands of
protesters and dissidents.

    It also has given refuge in its embassy in Beijing to two well-known
dissidents. The U.S. is allowing Chinese studying in the U.S. to over-
stay their visas for one year if they fear political persecution at home.

    Qian blamed the U.S. for the current tension, but only indirectly,
and emphasized common ground.
|  Executive Editor:  Deming Tang          E_mail:  Tang@ALISUVAX.bitnet    |
                    This package is from G. Xu.
News    Transmission    chi@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca   (or)
--------------------    ---------------------
Local Editor: Bo Chi    chi@vlsi.waterloo.edu
                                                                           .

chi@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca (Bo Chi) (10/29/89)

             * C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t *

		    (ND Canada Service)

                       -- Oct. 29 (II), 1989

Table of Contents
                                                                # of Lines
Editor's notes about this news package  ...........................  15
1) REPORT FROM CHINESE STUDENT AUTONOMOUS ASSOCIATION .............  64
2) RESPONSE FROM MIN ZHEN'S OFFICE IN NY ..........................  20
3) COMMENT FROM MR. GUYANG HUANG, MEMBER OF SVC OF IFCSS ..........  60
Editor's note:
Since the 'World Journal'(Shi Jie Ri Bao) first publised the allegation
about Mr. Hu Ming's forgery of signitures on the receipt of the donations
he brought to Beijing in May (See WJ 10/19/89), there have been a lot of
concerns about this case, probably because of the important position that
Mr. Hu is holding in the 'Front of Democratic China'. Mr. Hu is now the
assistant of Mr. Wan Rinan, the General Secretary of FDC.

To present a whole picture to our readers, I called the office of FDC in
NY, to try to get Mr. Hu's response of the allegation. Also I asked Mr.
Guyang Hung, the member of the SVC of IFCSS to make his comment of this
case. Now We include all the materials below for our readers to make
their judgements of this case.

                                        Gang Xu
Note: 'Min Zhen' = FDC = Front for Democratic China
1. Report from Chinese Student Autonomous Association at Northwestern U
From:  Liang Wang
       Chinese Student Autonomous Association
       at Northwestern University
Email: lwang@nuacc.bitnet
Phone: (312) 491-3424
Fax:   (312) 491-3424

Subject: Hu Ming, Donation and Forged Signatures
Date: October 17, 1989

In May of this year, Hu Ming, then at Ohio State University,
volunteered to take donations to the students on Tainanmen Square.
On May 23, 1989, the student organizations of Northwestern University(NU)
and The University of Chicago(UC) gave Hu Ming US$4900.00 in cash,
asking him to take it to the students on Tainanmen Square and to
bring the receipt with signatures of Wang Dan or Wuerkeixi.

On June 7, 1989, Hu Ming came back to Chicago from China. He gave a
receipt for the donation to the student organizations of NU and UC
with three signatures on it: Wang Juntao, Wang Dan, and yang Tao.

On July 29, 1989, Wang Liang, a student leader of NU showed the
receipt to Wuerkaixi in Chicago.  After examining the receipt closely,
Wuerkaixi told Wang Liang that the signatures under the names of "Wang
Dan" and "Yang Tao" were not from the hands of Wang Dan and Yang Tao.
But he was not familiar with Wang Juntao's signature and was unable
to tell whether or not it was fake.

The next day, July 30, Wang Liang managed to meet Hu Ming to ask him
if the signatures of Wang Dan and Yang Tao were real.  Hu
Ming said that Wang Dan and Yang Tao did not sign the receipt.  Then
he swore that all three signatures were signed by Wang Juntao.
The reason, Hu Ming explained, was that Wang Juntao accepted the
donation from him in a dangerous situation.

Later, Wang Liang learned that Cheng Yu had known Wang Juntao for
several years.  Cheng Yu is a student of UC, who went to
Beijing to support the students at Tiananmen in late May of this
year, and was arrested by secret police of China, but was released later.
Wang Liang told Cheng Yu of the receipt for the donations handled by Hu Ming.
Cheng Yu has a collection of Wang Jutao's personal letters and
postcards written to her with more than ten of Wang Juntao signatures.
On comparison of Wang Juntao's signature on the letters sent to Cheng
Yu and the handwriting on the receipt for the donation of $4900.00
the signatures are not the same.

The receipt was sent to a distinguished expert of forensic science to
be examined.  The conclusion of the expert is that:

(1)  The three signatures on the receipt for $4900.00 are the product
     of one writter.

(2)  Comparison of letters written to Cheng Yu and signed by Wang
     Juntao and that of the receipt of $4900.00 the signatures do not
     match.  Therefore, it was concluded by the expert that the signature
     appearing on the receipt was not Wang Juntao's.

Those who want to know more about Hu Ming's case can contact Wang
Liang at (312) 491-3424.  After November 11, 1989 the area code
changes from 312 to 708.

2. Response from Min Zhen's Office in NY  (10/20/89)
From: GXU@KENTVM.BITNET (date:10/20/89)

Hi, again for this Hu Ming case, I called the NY office of Min Zhen about 10 mi
nutes ago and tried to get Hu Ming for his comment of the WJ article. Hu was no
t in, a man names Xu Ming answered the phone. Hu himself is now in Paris and wo
n't be back in a few days.

They had already known about the WJ article and they had been aware of this a
couple of months ago. Xu said that Hu gave some explanations within Min Zhen
before and for some reasons that couldn't be made public then, Min Zhen decided
not to make any explanation about this matter. Xu also said that it is possible
that things will be cleared in one or two months and asked people to be patient.

Privately, Xu acknowledged that 'there might have been something sloppy in the
proceedure when Hu handdled the money, but consider the situation in Beijing at
that time!', he personally believed that Hu was innocent. 'Otherwise', Xu said
'we won't put him in this important position now'.

Xu himself was originally from Ohio State Univ. and now is working full time
for Min Zhen in its NY office. The phone num is 212-571-1672 or 212-571-1673.

3. Comment from Mr. Guyang Huang, Member of SVC of IFCSS
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 14:25 EDT
From: GHUANG@UMAECS
Subject: My Comment on Hu Min's Case
                                                Oct. 20, 1989

Having being asked for opinion by IFCSS members, I give my comments below as
an IFCSS SVC member:

A. THE FACTS
  As the best of my knowledge, I confirm what Wang Liang said in his article
is basically true. I have been informed this case since early Aug. and been
kept update from a different source. However, I have not got any information
from Hu Min yet. I have no personal relations to either Wang or Hu.

B. MY ATTITUDE
1.  This case happened before the establishment of IFCSS (and before the
establishment of the Democratic Front "Min Zhen" as well). Since this case
concerns the loss of property---donation fund of two IFCSS member school:
$2,000 from Northwestern and $2,900 from U. Chicago, SVC member gives such a
confirmation and, if any representative from either of this two schools will
have legal action for this case, I shall ask the headquarter of IFCSS to give
all kinds of possible help.
2. This case only concerns with Hu Min as an individual, not with his position
or work in the Democratic Front at all. The SVC of DF is having some action
now which is totally independent.
3. If, in the future, further evidence would show that Hu Min would be
acturally innocent, another statement should be made to correct this.

C. MEANINGS OF THIS CASE SO FAR
1. We have to be honest to the truth. In the long run of our course, we can
only be honest to establish our creditability which is the basis of our moral
leadship. Openness is one of the most distinguish difference between CCP and
us. CCP hides anything "bad" to them and we dare to open everything happened.
2. Some leaders here argued for not breaking this fact because they worry this
would affect their further donation drive. I think, it is because we do take
response seriously to all the donation money we have got, we thus break this
case. This case will show our determination of being responsible to our funds.
Anyone can hardly makes no mistake, but he must show his capability to correct
mistakes. As a matter of fact, I was told that Hu Min made a trip to Hongkong
in the summer. He asked for financial support from a New York student
foundation ($1,000) and another Chicago source (a couple of thousands dollars)
which seems not knowing each other's supporting. The total support seemed more
than sufficient to cover necessary expenses for such a trip. This seems to be
another piece of evidence of being irresponsible to our limited financial
sources.
3. This case shows the advantage of our democratic system  over the CCP's
dictatorship system during our practise. We have the supervises from both the
news media and the system (SVC). We fight for democracy not because that our
leaders are wiser or more capable than Mao Ze-dong or Deng Xiao-ping, but
because that the democratic system we believe is better than CCP's. It is the
democratic system which can save our motherland. Any wonderful person (even
great leader) might make mistakes, but a good system can prevent bad
consequences of his mistakes.

Huang, Guyang
IFCSS SVC Member
News Digest, US Section(NDUS)