1. Bush's Remarks And Answers To The Questions
From:    "J. Ding" <IZZYQ00@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Source:  WASHINGTON (AP)   December 11, 1989

Here  is  the  text    of President Bush's remarks Monday to editorial page
editors:         .....

I do wan to make one comment before taking questions on the recent visit of
Gen.  Scowcroft  to  China.   There's    a   lot  of  interest in that. And
following  the meeting with Mr. Gorbachev, it seemed to me that it would be
appropriate to brief the Chinese leaders.

I  made clear to them before the  Malta meeting that I wanted to do this. I
must say, I was very pleased today in the wake of Gen. Scowcroft's visit to
notice that the Chinese Foreign  Ministry  stated  that they would not sell
missiles  to  any  Middle  East  countries. That subject was raised by Gen.
Scowcroft, and in my view, it's a very sound development.

And  I  do not want to isolate the Chinese people. I don't want to hurt the
Chinese  people. We have certain  sanctions.  I hope I needn't reiterate my
concerns  about the events that took  place in Tiananmen Square. I think we
were  positioned  in   the  forefront  of  human rights concerns. But and I
think  the  Chinese  know that they still have to address themselves to the
don't want to see that  China  remains  totally  isolated. I don't want  to
take any further steps that are  going  to  hurt the Chinese people. And  I
was very pleased that this  statement  on  the missiles subject having been
raised  by  Gen. Scowcroft took place before he barely hit the ground here.
There  was  some  discussion  about  the  Pelosi  bill,  and some political
figures  accusing  me  of not caring about human rights because I would not
sign that bill.

We  have enacted by  executive  order  everything  that that bill did would
have done and I want to keep control of managing the foreign policy of this
country  as  much  as  I  can.  And  I  didn't  think  that legislation was
necessary, and I hope that the Congress comes back and takes a hard look at
that and then we'll go forward together as we have in the past.

But  generally speaking, I realize the difficulty of this relationship, but
I don't want to make it any  worse.  I'd like to think it would improve. We
have  contacts with  countries  that  that  have egregious records on human
rights  and  so  I am going to keep looking for ways to find common ground,
but  I  realize and I would say to those who are out there churning around,
saying  that  we  have normalized relations with China, that they simply do
not know what they are talking about.

Now, I will be glad to take any question. Yes, sir?

Q:  ...

Q:  Mr. President ...  Can  you  envisage  any steps the Chinese government
might  take that would lead to the lifting of the sanctions that are now in
place?

A:  Yes, but I'm not going to  detail  them for you. The question was can I
envisage steps that the Chinese  government  can  take that would result in
the  lifting  of  the  sanctions.  Yes,  and  we have had an opportunity to
discuss  that  at very high levels in the Chinese in the Chinese hierarchy.
And  I  I think it is important that they know how we feel on this question
as  to  as  to what changes need to take place. But let me reiterate, there
has  not  been  normalization  of  relations  because Gen. Scowcroft, at my
request and it was my idea, my (laughing) my suggestion went over there and
had very high level talks in China.PWho had it over here? Yes?

Q:   ...

Q:  Mr. President ...  I  was  interested in your observation about Chinese
missiles,  and  I wodered what makes that different? The Chinese for years,
when  we were so concerned about the missiles at the Strait of Hormuz, were
denying  that  they had sent missiles to anybody. Why is this substantively
different? And why is it suddenly important now?

A:  Well,  because  we've   represented,    sir,  that they ought not to be
selling  missiles  into the unstable Middle East. And for this to have been
raised now and then having this instant response, I view that as good.

Q: But they've said that before.

A:  Well,  if they  proved  to  not  be telling the truth, that wouldn't be
good.  But  so, I think you say what's different about it? I think the fact
that it was raised and then responded to with this rapidity is a good sign.
There  are  many  issues  of  difference  that  we have with the Chinese or
potential  difference.  And so, I think that one does not address itself to
human  rights  in China, but I think it's important. I think it's important
that  a top U.S. official sat down with China; 24 hours later, we were told
this. And, you know, if it works out badly, why, it wouldn't be productive.
Yes, Ma'am?

... ...

Q:   ...  Mr.  President   are    you   not  concerned  that  your  warming
relationship  with  China  may  send  the wrong signal to the Kremlin about
future possible repression of the unrest?

A:  No,  I  have  no  concern    about    that  at  all,  as long as we are
positioned  in  favor  of human rights and against totalitarian oppression.
And  I  think  we  are  properly  positioned.  But  we  have  as China is a
billion-plus  people,  they  have  a  strategic  position in the world that
remains important to us.       And    I'd    like  to  think that they will
redress some of the grievances that   continue    to  exist. And as long as
Soviet Union knows  that  we're  not  sending  a  signal  of, quote, "total
normalization," unquote, I think  there's  no  risk  in what you're in your
question. But I will be very  careful  that  we  don't  send  that  signal.
And  I think, given the recent meeting  with Mr. Gorbachev,  I  think  it's
very little likelihood of that misunderstanding cropping up. Sir?

... ...

2. Baker Defends New Contacts with China
From: hongyuan@math.wayne.edu (Hongyuan Lai)
Source: Detroit Free Press/Dec. 11, 1989

Washington-(AP)-Secretary of  State  James  Baker  III  on  Sunday defended
President George Bush's surprise  decision  to resume high-level talks with
China.

Countering criticism that move  was  a  giveaway  to the Chinese government
without any improvement in human rights,  Baker said China will be asked to
make changes before the relationship returns to what it was before tanks in
Tiananmen Square crushed democracy protests in June.

The trip by National Security  Adviser Brent Scowcroft and Deputy Secretary
of State Lawrence Eagleburger was  to  "seek to improve the relationship to
the extent that could be done," Baker said. "The president ... deplores the
tragedy of Tiananmen Square. But he's of the view that we shouldn't run the
risk of compounding  that  tragedy  by  trying  to  isolate  China from the
international community."

The trip angered some in Congress.      "The decision to send these two was
clearly designed to send a  powerful  symbolic  message to the Chinese that
the United States was prepared  once  again  to engage in business as usual
with them," said Rep. Stephen Solarz, D-N.Y., chairman of the House Foreign
Affairs Asia subcommittee.

At a Chinese students federation  in  Washington,  the  mood was glum.   "I
feel confused ... shocked and  sad,"  said Liad-Chao Han, vice president of
the Indepenent Federation of Chinese  Students  and Scholars. "The purge is
still going on in China."

3. Scowcroft Talked About His China Trip
From:    "J. Ding" <IZZYQ00@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Date: December 11, 1989

My  colleagues and  I  have   come   here  today as friends, to resume our
important dialogue on international questions of vital interest to both our
nations.  This  is  a  dialogue  which  we  believe  has contributed to the
historic peace, stability and prosperity of Asia and the world.

Last  weekend,  in  another   corner    of  the  world, Presidents Bush and
Gorbachev  held talks on the great issues of our day. Afterwards, President
Bush  instructed me to come to China and inform our Chinese hosts about the
talks  in  Malta. There is nothing between the United States and the Soviet
Union  that  needs to be hidden from the government of China. The peace and
stability of the world are enhanced by this dialogue.

We  believe  it   is    important  that we not exhaust ourselves in placing
blame  for  problems  that  exist.  Rather,  by working together within the
values  of  our  different  social  systems, we should seek to solve common
problems and remove irritants.

It  is  the  president's strong desire to see these talks make progress and
lay the groundwork for the solutions we seek.

Speaking  as  a  friend,  I  would  not  be honest if I did not acknowledge
that  we have profound areas of disagreement on the events at Tiananmen, on
the  sweeping changes in Eastern Europe. We see your complaints about us in
the pages of People's Daily.

But  I  recall that when we have found ways to work together, the world has
been  changed  for   the  better  and  when  we have been at odds, needless
tension  and  suffering  were  the  result. In both our societies there are
voices  of those who seek to redirect or frustrate our cooperation. We must
take bold measures to overcome these negative forces.

In  these  meetings,   we  seek  to  outline broad areas where agreement is
possible,  and to isolate for another time those areas of disagreement. The
sooner  we  set  about  this  task,  the better. The path ahead will not be
smooth and it will not be short.

We are not China's prime  enemy  or  threat,  as some would claim. But like
you,  we are true to our own values, our heritage and traditions. We can be
no  other  way.  We  extend our hand in friendship and hope you will do the
same.

Now may I propose a toast to the People's Republic of China:

To the health of President Yang.

To the great Chinese people.

And to U.S.-Chinese friendship.

|  Executive Editor:  Yaxiong Lin       E_mail:   aoyxl@asuacvax.bitnet  |