1. China Praised Bush's Initiative
From:   IZZYQ00@UCLAMVS.BITNET "J. Ding"
Source: BEIJING (UPI)   December 14, 1989

China  Thursday  praised President Bush's initiative to improve relations as
"constructive  and   useful,"    maintaining    the conciliatory tone it has
adopted since its surprise weekend agreement with the United States.

Bush's  decision  to  send  national  security  adviser Brent Scowcroft on a
sudden  visit  to China  Sunday "will serve to promote mutual understanding,
overcome  difficulties,  and  is   conducive  to  the gradual restoration of
Sino-U.S.  relations,"  Foreign  Ministry   spokesman  Jin  Guihua said at a
weekly news briefing.

"Under  the   current    situation  in  which the international situation is
undergoing  the  most  profound  changes   since  the  end  of World War II,
contacts   between  the  United  States   and  China  are  both  useful  and
beneficial," Jin said.

Conspicuously   avoiding  the  accusatory  tone  that characterized previous
government  statements  about  the  United   States,  Jin  said  that  while
differences between the two sides remain,  "China and the United States have
major mutual interests in a wide range of areas."

One  official  explanation  for    Bush's    decision   has  been  that  the
administration  felt  it was dangerous  to further isolate China in light of
recent liberalizations in Eastern Europe.

2. EC Drops Stance Against Export Credits To China
From: tang@ssurf.ucsd.edu (Sanyee Tang)
Source: Wall Street Journal, 12/15/89

The  European  Community  has   withdrawn  its  recommendation  that  member
countries suspend new export  credits  to  China,  a  decision that will aid
trade and smaller loan  projects  but  isn't  likely help most major project
financings.

The decision was reached at last weekend's summit in Strasbourg, France.

A resumption of export credits from European governments would help European
companies that trade with  China.    It  also  would  smooth the way for the
resumption of  some  commercial  lending  to  projects  that  are  funded by
European export  credits.    Many  smaller  projects  depend  on  the export
credits, which charge the Chinese borrower a below-market rate of 8.3%.

Bigger projects, however, aren't  likely  to  be  affected.  Their financing
packages contain commercial loans  and  export  credits but usually hinge on
loans granted by European government  at  concessional rates.  The EC hasn't
lifted its freeze on such soft loans to China.

Also unlikely to be affected  are  syndicated loans by commercial banks. The
banks are still waiting for such multilateral institutions as the World Bank
to lift their lending freezes.

3. Beijing Hints At 'SOLUTION' To Fang Issue
From: hkucs!kwchan@uunet.UU.net
Source : South China Morning Post, Friday, December 15, 1989

[From John Kohut in Beijing and agencies]

China hinted yesterday for the for  the  first time it might compromise with
the United States over the issue of Fang Lizhi, the dissident astrophysicist
whose six-month refuge in the US Embassy  in Beijing has been at the core of
strained relations between the two countries.

Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mr Jin  Guihua,  in  a weekly briefing devoid of
the anti-American rhetoric common in recent months, thanked President George
Bush for sending a special envoy  to  Beijing and said he hoped Sino-US ties
could be normalised soon.

Mr Jin, however, declined to say whether China would make any concessions or
changes its policies as a result  of  the weekend visit by National Security
Adviser, Mr Brent Scowcroft,  the  first  senior  American official to visit
China since Mr Bush banned high level exchanges after the June crackdown.

4. Jail Terms For Two Dissidents
From: hkucs!kwchan@uunet.UU.net
Source : South China Morning Post, Friday, December 15, 1989

Two Chinese  "counter-revolutionaries"  have  been  sentenced to unspecified
prison terms by a  people's  court  in  Beijing,  notices posted outside the
court announced.

The two, Wang  Jiaxiang  and  Wang  Zhaoming  had  been accused of spreading
"counter-revolutionary propaganda" and  of  having  "incited" rebellion, the
court notices said on Wednesday, without fiving any other details.

The sentences were  passed  on  December  7,  the  same  day  that two other
"counter-revolutionaries", Meng Duo and Zhou  Jiguo, were sentenced to death
for taking part in the mob  lynching  of  a soldier during the night of June
3-4, when  the  Chinese  Army  launched  its  bloody  crackdown  on the pro-
democracy protests.

Another "counter-revolutionary", Chen Yong, received a life sentence.

A court in a southern Chinese city  has sentenced three Chinese to jail, two
for being in an outlawed union  during the spring unrest, the official Hunan
Daily said.

The newspaper said the prison  terms,  ranging  from three to 13 years, were
handed down by the  intermediate  court  in  the provincial capital Changsha
last Friday.

5. Hunt For Most Wanted Student Is Stepped Up
From: hkucs!kwchan@uunet.UU.net
Source : South China Morning Post, Friday, December 15, 1989

Security officials in  Guangdong  province  recently  conducted an extensive
search for the nation's most wanted student leader, Miss Chai Ling.
Miss Chai  was  the  former  "commander  general"  of  the  Tiananmen Square
protesters.

She is reported to be pregnant and in hiding in the province.

Sources  in  Guangzhou,  Shenzhen  and  Zhuhai  told  The  Hongkong Standard
yesterday security authorities  on  the  three  cities  had conducted sudden
searches for Miss Chai in late November and early this month.
They were acting on orders from the Public Security Ministry in Beijing, the
sources said.

Miss Chai is believed to be in hiding with her husband, Feng Chongde, who is
also one of the 21 fugitives wanted by the authorities.

A source close to the "underground network" through which Chinese dissidents
were smuggled to the West via Hongkong, said that Miss Chai had taken refuge
in a "highly protected and secret" place where nobody could reach her.

"Chai Ling is very safe at the  moment and she's still on the mainland," the
source said.

Yesterday, Hongkong's Sing Tao  Wan  Pao  reported  that the Public Security
Ministry  had  issued  an  urgent  directive  to  aurhorities  in  Guangdong
informing them the wanted couple was in the province.

A number of top fugitives, including  Professor Yan Jiaqi and student leader
Wu'er Kaixi, fled the  mainland  to  Hongkong  following  the June 4 Beijing
incident.

"The notice points out that  Chai  Ling,  who  is pregnant, must find a safe
place to stay for some time," the newspaper said.

A souce in  Zhuhai  said  the  Municipal  Public  Security  Bureau there had
conducted city-wide inspections last Friday in a bid to locate the couple.

"Public security guards  were  mobilised  to  check  on suspicious people at
border checkpoints,  major  traffic  intersections  and  hotels," the source
said.

Sources in Shenzhen said security  checks  in the city that borders Hongkong
had been tightened up recently.

Meanwhile, a Foreign  Ministry  spokesman  described  Wu'er  Kaixi and other
fugitive dissidents as "criminals wanted  by  the Public Security Bureau for
engineering and staging a counter-revolutionary rebellion".

"I am surprised the remarks he  made in Japan against the Chinese governemnt
should even  receive  attention,"  the  spokesman  said  at  a regular press
briefing.

"We regret the action of  the  Japanese government in permitting Wu'er Kaixi
and the like to be allowed into the country for such activities," he said.

|  Executive Editor:  Yaxiong Lin       E_mail:   aoyxl@asuacvax.bitnet  |
News    Transmission    chi@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca   (or)
--------------------    ---------------------
Local Editor: Bo Chi    chi@vlsi.waterloo.edu
Sat Dec 16 11:30:07 EST 1989

chi@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca (Bo Chi) (12/17/89)

               |          +---------I     __L__  ___-     i \ ------I
          +----+----+     | ___\_\_ |      \./   |        | -----+- |
          |    |    |     |  __ \/  |     --+--  |---     |  |---|  |
          I----+----I     | I__J/\  |     __|__  |  |     |  |---|  |
               |          | _____ \ |      /| \  |  |     |  L__-|  |
               I          I---------J     / J  \/   |     | V    | _/

             * C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t *

		    (ND Canada Service)

                       -- Dec. 16 (II), 1989

Table of Contents
                                                                     # of Lines
1) The  Sky Isn't Falling ............................................. 90
2) Foreign Students in US ............................................. 26

1. The  Sky Isn't Falling
source: by Jan Wong, The Globe and Mail
From:  pyan@violet.waterloo.edu  (random walker), Date: 16 Dec 89
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china

    The  world  is  coming  to  an  end.  An asteroid is hurtling
toward Earth and could kill half the population.

    You haven't heard?  It's all over the Chinese press.

    Xinhua,  the  official  Chinese news agency, said "scientists
are  right now trying to find a way to avoid this disaster."  The
asteroid,  it  said,  is 1000 kilometers in diameter and will hit
Earth  "with a force 7.7 million times as distructive as the atom
bomb that devastated Hiroshima."

    It cited as its source the Associated Press.

    "If  it  is true, I'm going to take the rest of the day off,"
said James Abrahams, AP's Beijing bureau chief.

    After  queries  from  mystified  AP  staff in Beijing, Xinhua
attributed  the  story  to a translation error.  But some Chinese
and foreign observers believe the false story was a domestic hoax
embarrass the official press.

    Yesterday,  the  earth-shattering news panicked many Chinese.
It  was  picked up by Centrial People's Radio and at least half a
dozen government newspapers.

    "It's  going to hit us any day now," said a worried cook, who
heard it on the morning news.

    "We are all going to die," said a Chinese woman cyclist.

    The  AP  Beijing  bureau only became aware of the story after
half  a  dozen  worried Chinese phoned to confirm the report.  AP
called  its  Asia  headquarters  in Tokyo, which failed to find a
trace  of  the doomsday story.  AP then called its head office in
New York, which also came up empty.  Finally, AP called Xinhua.

    An  hour  later,  Xinhua, which has often accused the foreign
media, including AP, of "rumor mongering," said the story was the
result of a translation error that would be corrected.

    "It's  clearly not a translation error," said an American who
has  lived  in China for 15 years. "It might be a practical joke.
There may be someone who wants to make papers look like fools."

    Four hours after Xinhua acknowledged that the AP story was in
error,  the nationally televised evening news continued to reprot
the  story as if it were true.  It ran an interview with astrono-
mers  at  the Nanjing Observatory  who told viewers the chance of
an asteroid's hitting a heavily populated area is minuscule.

    "We  haven't  got  any  news that an asteroid is coming," one
said. " Nobody should panic."

    Given  the low credibility of the Chinese media, the vehement
denials might only strengthen people's feeling of danger.

    One  foreign  political  scientist  said  some  Chinese might
interpret  the  news as a portent that the current leadership has
lost the mandate of Heaven.

    As part of the crackdown on pro-reform demonstrators, Chinese
leaders  recently  ordered  newspapers  to  publish only positive
news.  Since martial law was imposed over most of Beijing in May,
some key media, including the People's Daily, Centrial Radio, and
Centrial Television, are under military control.

    Attributing  the  Xinhua story to a U.S. news agency enhanced
its  credibility.   The  three-paragragh item gave specific, hor-
rific  details.   "At  present  the asteroid is 800000 kilometers
from  the  Earth,"  it said, and only can be nudged from its des-
tructive  path  if  scientists "fire special rockets ot a nuclear
bomb at it."

    By  late  yesterday  afternoon,  AP  tracked  down an item it
thought might be the source of the incorrect Xinhua story.  An AP
story last weekend described a San Francisco meeting of the Amer-
ican  Geophysical Union that proposed a program to keep the Earth
from  being  hit  by  huge  asteroids.  The AP story said such an
event happens once every 3000000 years.

2.  Foreign Students in US
From: liao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu
Source: Institute of International Education
        It is on the U.S. News and World Report, Dec. 18, 1989.

In 1988-1989 academic year, there are totally 366,000 foreign
students in the United States. The top 10 countries are

    Country of Origin     Students in U.S. Universities

     China                 29,040
     Taiwan                28,760
     Japan                 24,000
     India                 23,350