(1)
From: Qiang Li  <QIANGLI%SERVAX.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Source: The China World at Florida Atlantic University

WASHINGTON  (FEB.  7)  REUTER  -  A senior U.S. official strongly
defended  the  administration's policy toward China Wednesday and
said  Beijing  had  taken  steps in the right direction since its
crackdown against pro-democracy demonstrators last June. ...

   The  Senate  recently  sustained a presidential veto of a bill
allowing  Chinese  students  to remain in the United States after
their  visas  expired. The administration argued strenuously that
passage  of  the  bill  would  close the door to future students.

(2)
From: Jnet%"CAFGM@IBRDVM1"
"Young Chul KIM, IBRD"  7-FEB-1990
Source: World Bank/IMF Press Summary
------------------------------------

        CONABLE: NO DECISION YET ON  CONSIDERING  LOANS TO CHINA.
At a news conference yesterday, World  Bank President Barber Con-
able  "said  he hasn't yet  decided  on  scheduling  two  pending
loans  to China, amounting to $90 million,  for  World  Bank Exe-
cutive  Board  action  on  Thursday," Associated Press-Dow  Jones
reports.   Mr.  Conable  said  he  hopes the Bank will resume its
lending   program  to  China "in the not too distant future," the
account  says. ...

(3)
Source: Reuters News
From:  Jnet%"CAFGM@IBRDVM1"
"Young Chul KIM, IBRD"  7-FEB-1990
----------------------------------

CHINA'S  STATE SECTOR PLUNGES FURTHER INTO DEBT. Reuters reported
from  Beijing  that  China  Daily said state-run enterprises, the
mainspring  of  the economy, plunged further into debt in 1989 as
low efficiency and bad planning depressed profits. ...

The  agency  said  international  lenders like the IBRD may apply
additional pressure for China to ease its tight credit policy and
continue with market reforms, almost abandoned in recent months.

(4)
From: "Jian Ding" <IZZYQ00@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Source: BEIJING (AP)   February 06, 1990

  The  government  will require rural laborers seeking work inthe
cities  to  obtain  licenses,  in  an effort to stem rural migra-
tion  and  counter  rising  urban  unemployment, a Labor Ministry
official said. ...

(5)
From: "Jian Ding" <IZZYQ00@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Source: BEIJING (AP)   February 06, 1990
BY: ABRAMS, JIM ;  Associated Press Writer

  Inefficiency,  waste  and  poor returns are threatening China's
policy  of  making  large  state-run  industries  the vanguard of
the  nation's economic development, an official report said Tues-
day. ...

    Per   capita   productivity   rose  only 1.6 percent in 1989,
compared  with  9.3   percent  in  1988,  while  wages  increased
14 percent and bonuses 23 percent, according to the report. ...

    The   official  China  Daily,  in a commentary, noted that if
efficiency  in  large  state-owned  firms continues to erode, "no
matter  how  the government adjusts,  the  economic  retrenchment
program  would  fail  to achieve its purpose." ...

1. USSR's Significant Reform
From: Qiang Li  <QIANGLI%SERVAX.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Source: The China World at Florida Atlantic University

   MOSCOW  (AP)  --  Communist  Party leaders agreed Wednesday to
relinquish  their  constitutionally  guaranteed monopoly on power
and move further toward transforming the Soviet Union into a mul-
tiparty democracy, officials said.

   The party Central Committee, which decides Communist policies,
voted  almost  unanimously  to  accept the proposals of President
Mikhail  Gorbachev  despite sharp criticism of his plan during an
extended meeting this week, one participant said. ...

   Svyatoslav  Fyodorov,  a  famed eye surgeon and participant in
the  three-day  meeting in the Kremlin, said the committee agreed
to support abolishing the constitution's Article 6, which guaran-
tees power to the Communist Party....

   Both hard-line Communists and reformers had sharply criticized
Gorbachev's  platform,  with hard-liners complaining he was going
too far and reformers saying he failed to go far enough. ...

2. China Government's Response to USSR's Reform
From: Qiang Li  <QIANGLI%SERVAX.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Source: The China World at Florida Atlantic University

PEKING  (FEB.  7)  REUTER - China's leadership, increasingly iso-
lated  by  changes  sweeping  the  Communist world, delivered its
sternest warning to opponents on Wednesday, saying a weak Commun-
ist Party would mean turmoil and war.

   The  47-million-strong  party, the world's largest, raised the
age-old  Chinese fear of chaos in a statement clearly intended as
a  reply  to  radical  changes pushed through by Soviet President
Mikhail Gorbachev at a key Communist Party meeting in Moscow.

   "In  China,  without the strong leadership of the Chinese Com-
munist Party, new turmoil and wars would surely arise, the nation
would  be  split,  and the people, not to mention state construc-
tion, would suffer," the party said.

   Its warning was delivered in an editorial in the party newspa-
per  People's Daily which was released in advance by the official
New  China  News Agency.

Thu Feb  8 09:06:46 EST 1990

chi@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca (Bo Chi) (02/08/90)

               |          +---------I     __L__  ___-     i \ ------I
          +----+----+     | ___\_\_ |      \./   |        | -----+- |
          |    |    |     |  __ \/  |     --+--  |---     |  |---|  |
          I----+----I     | I__J/\  |     __|__  |  |     |  |---|  |
               |          | _____ \ |      /| \  |  |     |  L__-|  |
               I          I---------J     / J  \/   |     | V    | _/

             * C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t *

		    (ND Canada Service)

                       -- Feb. 8 (II), 1990

Table of Contents
                                                                     # of Lines
1. A Joint Demonstration  in Front of Chinese Embassy (Ottawa) .......... 16

1. A Joint Demonstration  in Front of Chinese Embassy
From: Wei <WEIPC%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 90 11:48:13 EST

The  Bolshevik revolution sent the Marxism to China. (shi-yue-ge-
ming-de-pao-sheng-song-lai-le-ma-li-zhu-yi). Now the first com-
munism country in the world is abolishing the monopoly of commun-
ist party.

What  about  China?  What will Mr. Gorbachev send to China. Demo-
carcy!

A  demonstration  will  be  held in front of Chinese Embassy this
afternoon 4:00pm (Thursday Feb. 8, 1990). It's coorganized by LYH
of University in Ottawa and  Democarcy-China Ottawa.

Thu Feb  8 12:10:16 EST 1990