From: kwchan@hkucs.UUCP (Chan Ki Wa)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: China & HK News
Date: 26 Feb 90 20:41:48 GMT
Source : South China Morning Post
By Cheung Po-ling in Beijing

Chinese  State  President  Yang Shangkun's planned visit to three
Latin American countries in June has scotched speculation that he
might  be ousted in a reshuffle at the National People's Congress
(NPC) next month.

Diplomatic  sources  in  Beijing  said  preparations were already
underway for the goodwill visit to Argentina, Mexico and Brazil.

It  will be Mr Yang's second overseas trip since Beijing's bloody
crackdown last June.  His first was to the Middle East.

Announcement of the trip is being seen as a signal that the octo-
genarian  hardliner  will  remain in power after the NPC session,
even  if  the  there  is some sort of reshuffle at top government
level.

The  fact  Mr  Yang  is intending to be away in June is also con-
sidered by analysts as significant.

"I  think he wants to avoid any possible outbreak of disturbances
in Beijing that may occur to commemorate those killed in the June
4 incident," one analyst said.

Mr  Yang  and Premier Li Peng have been at the centre of specula-
tion over a reshuffle at the NPC.

Reports said both men were to lose their positions and "new faces
with  a  neutral  image"  were  to be appointed to join the upper
ranks of leadership.

According  to  the reports, the two hardliners - believed to have
ordered  the  military  crackdown on the pro-democracy movement -
were  to  be  removed  to avert a domestic crisis and to convince
foreign  countries  that China's reformist policies were continu-
ing.

It was believed that Mr Li Peng would resign from the State Coun-
cil and succeed Mr Wan Li, as chairman of the NPC.

And, Mr Yang would in turn be replaced by reformist Mr Wan.

Mr  Li also recently appeared to have scotched these rumours when
the  foreign  ministry  announced  that  he would be visiting the
Soviet Union some time in April.

Analysts said theis confirmation of the visit indicated Mr Li had
managed to save his job.

Mr  Yang's  June visit bore the same implication - that, at least
in  the  near  future,  his  power would not be challenged by the
moderate or reform-minded forces in the party, they said.

Mr  Yang  has indicated an intention to retire no later than next
year,  and  it is now believed he will be unlikely to lose any of
his  posts  - including member of the Communist Party's Politburo
and  first  vice-Chairman of the party's Central Military Commis-
sion (CMC) - at the NPC session.

Press  reports  have also tipped Mr Yang to take over as chairman
of the State CMC.

China's  paramount leader, Mr Deng Xiaoping, resigned as chairman
of  the party's CMC in the fifth plenary session of the 13th Cen-
tral Committee last November.

And,  accodrding  to  Chinese law, his resignation as chairman of
the State CMC must be approved by the NPC.

2. China Government Steps up Surveillance of Western Journalists
From: "Jian Ding" <IZZYQ00@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
BY: LUBMAN, SARAH
Source: BEIJING (UPI)   February 25, 1990

  China   has   conspicuously  stepped up surveillance of Western
journalists  and diplomats in recent weeks in an apparent intimi-
dation  campaign aimed at reducing contacts with Chinese, Western
and Chinese sources said Sunday.

   A   number   of Western reporters said they have been followed
recently  by  Chinese  undercover police, often working in pairs.
The  reporters  said they have  been  conspicuously  followed  on
their  way  to  and from meetings with Chinese friends in restau-
rants, hotels and private residences.

    Police   have   followed   reporters  in  cars,  on  motorcy-
cles,  and  on bicycles, sometimes staying aggressively close and
at  other  times  switching  vehicles  in  an  attempt  to remain
undetected, the journalists said.

    Western  diplomats said they have also been subjected to more
aggressive  security   recently. They attributed the overt police
presence  to  heightened  fearfulness  among  China's  leadership
after   Romanian   dictator   Nicolae Ceausescu's  violent  fall,
combined with heavy-handed intimidation tactics used in the past.

    "It   comes  in  waves.  It's  meant  to  intimidate," said a
Western  diplomat  when   asked   about  the increasingly visible
street monitoring. The diplomat said he had recently found spikes
placed in the center of his car tires.

    One  Western journalist was harassed by undercover police two
nights in a  row  after  meetings  with Chinese acquaintances. On
both  occasions,  the  police   were  already  waiting  when  the
reporter arrived for a previously arranged rendezvous.

    The  reporter  said  he  tried to shake his followers but was
chased  by  several   motorcyclists  at  high  speeds  through  a
residential area in central Beijing.

    Other  journalists  have  been  asked  over  the telephone to
change  money or buy documents in what appeared to be attempts at
entrapment.

    "The  atmosphere  is tense right now," said a Chinese source.
He  linked the  recent  harassment  of  Western reporters in par-
ticular  to retaliation over  the  U.S.  State  Department's cri-
ticism of China in its latest human rights report.

    Before   the   human   rights  report came out last week, the
Western  press had  been  a frequent target of official invective
in  the  aftermath of last spring's  massive  pro-democracy  pro-
tests.  China has dismissed widespread foreign  news  reports  of
hundreds,   possibly  thousands  killed during the army's violent
crackdown last June as "groundless rumor."

    A similar wave of tightened surveillance over journalists and
diplomats occurred  in  1987,  after  a  political  shakeup  that
removed   reformist  Communist  Party  chief  Hu Yaobang from his
post.

    At  that time, journalists reported increased street monitor-
ing in what appeared  to  be  a deliberate intimidation campaign.
Two  foreign  reporters  were   expelled   on  charges  they  had
received national intelligence from Chinese sources.

    Reports  linked  the 1987 security crackdown to the ouster of
then Public Security  Minister Ruan Chongwu, a Hu crony. Ruan was
replaced by political and legal enforcer Wang Fang.

    In   addition   to   its  Public  Security  bureau, or police
force,  China  created  a  State  Security agency in 1984 charged
with countering internal espionage by foreign agents.

    Beijing-based   foreign   correspondents   said  the  current
campaign  is  affecting   their work, causing them to reduce con-
tacts with Chinese friends for fear of endangering them.

    "It's  a  major crimp on my activities," said a Western jour-
nalist, who asked  not to be identified. The reporter said she is
regularly followed by undercover police on motorcycles.

    "I don't want to get people into trouble," she said.

3. Wu'erkaixi and Other Young Broadcast from Ship to China
From: kwchan@hkucs.UUCP (Chan Ki Wa)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Source : South China Morning Post
Date : 24th Feb., 90

Agence France Presse --
A  radio station calling itself the "Voice of Democracy in China"
will  begin  broadcasting  from  April 20 from a ship in interna-
tional  waters  off  China, the Federation for Democracy in China
said yesterday.

Wu'erkaixi,  a  leader  of the pro-democracy student movement who
now  lives  in the United States, will head a team of young radio
amateurs  who  plan  to  give a round-the-clock service that will
reach all of Chinese territory.

The  radio  will broadcast on medium-wave from a 1,140 tonne ship
formerly  used  by Britain for geo-physical research.  It will be
officially  baptised the Goddess of Democracy when it is launched
from the French port of La Rochelle on March 9.

The  ship  is  being  named  after  the  version of the Statue of
Liberty which students erected in Beijing's Tiananmen Square beo-
fore the tanks moved in last June.

The launch will be broadcast by satellite.  International record-
ing  artists  are  cutting  a  disc for the occassion and a world
wide, 24-hour concert is planned to mark the first anniversary of
the massacre in Tiananmen Square on June 4, the FDC said.

The  FDC  and  the  magazine  Actuel sponsored the operation "Fax
peace  in China" four months ago, whereby the democratic movement
telefaxed  documents  to  machines  capable  of receiving them in
China.  Beijing reacted furiously to the initiative.

Some  15  European  magazines are sponsoring the Goddess of Demo-
cracy.

The  FDC  was founded near Paris last November by dissidents from
Beijing in exile in France, the United States and elsewhere.

4. A Letter to China News Digest: We Should Not Keep Silent
by: Wu, Fang <INT3FWU@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Date:    Mon, 26 Feb 90 22:34 PST

Dear CND editors,

    After  reading  the news about the New regulation in China on
studying  abroad,  I  wrote  the  following  appeal to the IFCSS'
action.

       WE MUST SPEAK OUT FOR OUR FELLOW STUDENTS IN CHINA

                 --Sign open letter for our fellow students!

     Recently   the  State  Education  Commission  of  China  has
recently   issued  a  new  regulation  regarding studying abroad.
According to this new regulation, it is required for all the stu-
dents  to  work 6 years (including one year of practical training
period)  before  they  could  be allowed to leave the country for
studying abroad.  For those students who do not have relatives in
a  foreign  country,  they are not even given a chance to pay for
their leaving?  If some one is allowed to leave, he/she will have
to  pay  the  government 10,000 to 20,000 RMB (2,500 RMB per year
for the higher education) to "buy" a passport.

     This  new  regulation  is  no  doubt  a big step backward of
China's open-policy.  This is another fatal shock on the students
after  the  June  4th massacre. Apparently, with this regulation,
the door is totally shut right in front of the faces of those who
are  hoping to study abroad.  Living in the dark shadow of a bru-
tal government, the students in Beijing and other cities of China
now  feel  very  much  depressed  and hopeless.  Just think about
this:  in  last  year's uprising, the students were fighting with
their  blood  and  lives  for the   basic rights.  Now, they lost
even  their  chances  of  having  advanced  education!  That damn
government  said  it  wanted to control the "brain drain" problem
which is in fact caused by its own bad policies.  It is now actu-
ally  draining  the brains of a whole generation of intellectuals
by  mentally torturing them and setting strict and stupid regula-
tions to control them.  Some one got to stop this!

     We  overseas  students have been fighting for our own rights
here  in  the United States. We know how precious the freedom is.
Lucky  us, at least we can speak freely and struggle for whatever
we  are  looking  for.   However,  don't  we feel that we have no
rights,  and  should  not ignore what is going on in China, where
our beloved homeland is?   Don't we feel  that we have no rights,
and should not forget our brothers and sisters who are struggling
hardly for their survival in the hands of a government which does
not  believe  in  democracy  nor  respect the basic human rights?
Don't  we feel that we should stand up and yell for our people in
China  when they are shut up by the machine guns and persecutions
of  that  "people's"  government?  I do feel so.  The students in
China are not alone.  We the Chinese students in the United Stats
are  with  them all the time.  I believe we do have the responsi-
bility  to  help,  in any way we can, to get them out of the hell
and  continue  their  careers  in  a better environment that they

deserve.   We should fight on their behalf!

     With  the  fact  of  our fighting for our fellow students in
China,  we  can  also prove to the U.S. public that we care about
our  country,  we concern about our brothers and sisters.  We are
not  just a whole bunch of people who care only about themselves.
We are here not just for a more "comfortable life".  We will con-
tinue  to struggle for a free China.  With the fact of our fight-
ing  for  our  fellow  student  in  China,  we can also cease the
rumor/misunderstanding  spread out among some people in our home-
land  that we sacrificed their rights for our own benefit to stay
in the U.S.

    I  am  hereby  urging   the IFCSS to initiate some actions to
show our protest to the Chinese government for the new regulation
and  to appeal to the Chinese National Congress for reopening the
door to abroad.  We should involve as many Chinese students as we
can  to  show  our  strength  and solidarity.  I will suggest the
IFCSS  to  draft  an  open  letter  and  send  it to the National
Congress  when it reconvenes on March in Beijing.  I am also urg-
ing  all  the  Chinese   students   in the United States who care
about  our China's future and our brothers and sisters to SIGN on
the  open  letter.  By doing so, we can not only show our support
to  our people in China, the action itself can also encourage the
students in China to continue fighting for their own rights.

Thanks for your attention.
                                   Wu, Fang
                                   UCLA
                                   E-mail: Int3fwu@uclamvs

Tue Feb 27 11:58:38 EST 1990

chi@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca (Bo Chi) (02/27/90)

               |          +---------I     __L__  ___-     i \ ------I
          +----+----+     | ___\_\_ |      \./   |        | -----+- |
          |    |    |     |  __ \/  |     --+--  |---     |  |---|  |
          I----+----I     | I__J/\  |     __|__  |  |     |  |---|  |
               |          | _____ \ |      /| \  |  |     |  L__-|  |
               I          I---------J     / J  \/   |     | V    | _/

                 * C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t *

                           (NDCanada Service)

                       -- Feb. 27 (II), 1990

Table of Contents
                                                                     # of Lines
1. Report of FCSSC Executive Committee Expanded Meeting ................. 57
1. Report of FCSSC Executive Committee Expanded Meeting
             --  by Xu Zhequn  (VP of FCSSC)
                 FS300310@YUGemini.BITNET
                 Tue Feb 27 12:30 EST 1990

FCSSC == Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars, Canada
      ==  Quan Jia Xue Lian  (2,1,2,2)    (in Chinese)

     FCSSC  Executive Committee Expanded Meeting was held on Feb.
24,  1990 at University of Toronto. The purpose of the meeting is
to  review  the  work of FCSSC since its establishment and target
FCSSC's future working direction and plans.

    Twenty student representatives including four FCSSC executive
members  from  Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and its adjacent regions
attended the meeting, executive member Chen Guohua was absent due
to personal reasons.

    Each  of  FCSSC  executive members first reported the work he
has  done  in  the  past (The written report from Chen Guohua was
read  by  Montreal representative, Ding Baoqi). FCSSC Chairman Qu
Xiaohua  reported his Taiwan trip. The progresses on the " Family
Reunion " issue and on proposing the " International Day of Demo-
cracy  "  were reported by FCSSC Student Affair Group and FCSSC's
Committee of Human Rights respectively.

  The  student  representatives then made criticism and suggestions
of improvement on FCSSC executive members and to FCSSC chairman, Qu
Xiaohua, over some work insufficiency.

Based  on  the fact that FCSSC was established in rush after June
4th  Massacre  and therefore not well structured in its constitu-
tion  and working rules, all the participants agreed that FCSSC's
future  work should be stressed on the self-construction of FCSSC
organization,  and  the student affairs while promoting the demo-
cracy progress in China at the same time.

The  participants  of  the  meeting also suggest Qu Xiaohua be in
charge of the establishment of FCSSC headquarters office.

The  participants  then  discussed the relationship of FCSSC with
Min  Zhen,  other pro-democracy organizations and Chinese embassy
and consulates. Considering different function of FCSSC and Min
Zhen,  on  the  overwhelming  proposal from all the participants,
FCSSC  Chairman Qu Xiaohua agreed to resign from Min Zhen Cana-
dian  coordinator  post  and notify Min Zhen Paris headquarters on
the  day of the meeting as to concentrate himself on FCSSC's work.
Qu  Xiaohua  will  act  as  Min  Zhen Canadian deputy coordinator
before  receiving  the final approval of his resignation from Min
Zhen headquarters

FCSSC's short term goals, the headquarters construction, the elec-
tion  and  preparation  of next FCSSC, the June 4th programs were
also discussed in the meeting.

Tue Feb 27 13:36:30 EST 1990