[comp.os.os2] HPFS and OS/2 2.0 windows compatability

ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) (10/20/89)

     As it seems that there are people out there with OS/2 1.2, can anyone
give me a technical description of how HPFS is different from FAT, what
sort of directory and allocation strategy it uses, and so forth??  Or,
if someone could direct me to a journal reference describing it, that'd
be fine.
     Also, I remember reading several places that OS/2 V2.0 (the 386
version) will be able to run Windows binaries without modification...and
as protected mode tasks, not "boxed into" the DOS box.  ANyone else
know for sure??
     Lastly, even if there is not yet alot of traffic here, I know I'd
like to see at least an "official" FTP site for os/2 software.  I've got
several programs I'd like to make available (a porting of GNU Bison and
Flex, to name a couple), and I KNOW I'd like to see what others have come
up with.  Can anyone out there spare a few MB in their public file area??
                                                       --Mike Primm

dba+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Anderson) (10/21/89)

>Also, I remember reading several places that OS/2 V2.0 (the
> 386 version) will be able to run Windows binaries without
> modification...and as protected mode tasks, not "boxed into"
> the DOS box.  ANyone else know for sure??

This is rumored in the latest InfoWorld -- at least I think that's where
I read it. The report I read indicated that this is Microsoft's latest
scheme for having its cake and eating it too. It sounds to me like
something they might indeed try to do, but I don't know anything beyond
that. Does anyone know if this is technically feasible?

--david

jimw@microsoft.UUCP (Jim Walsh) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct20.142950.1000@rpi.edu> ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) writes:

>     As it seems that there are people out there with OS/2 1.2, can anyone
>give me a technical description of how HPFS is different from FAT, what
>sort of directory and allocation strategy it uses, and so forth??  Or,
>if someone could direct me to a journal reference describing it, that'd
>be fine.

Microsoft Systems Journal, Volume 4 Number 5 (September 1989) has an article
entitled "Design Goals and Implementation of the New High Performance File
System", which is a pretty good description of the HPFS and how it's
implemented.  Should answer all of your questions.

--
Jim Walsh                       jimw@microsoft.com
Microsoft Corporation           uunet!microsoft!jimw

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) (10/25/89)

  I work for msoft, so I can't comment on unreleased products; with that
caveat:
  There are several paths to go when thinking about windows and PM.  One of
the easiest is to take your existing windows app and link it with a conversion
library, producing a PM app.  One companies's announced a product that does
this sort of work, but they haven't announced a ship date.  If you're interested
in this capability, call micrographics, at (214) 234 1769.  They're in TX.  The
product itself is called "mirrors".