[comp.os.os2] what are you doing with OS/2???

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (10/18/89)

I installed IBM OS/2 1.1 Extended Edition on my PS/2 55SX a few weeks
ago.  I haven't done much with it myself and got to wondering what
others are doing with OS/2.   At the moment my copy is simply taking up
much of my 60M hard disk.

From what I've seen of OS/2 1.1 EE, I'm quite disappointed... The various
applications that IBM supplies with EE (SQL, Editor, etc.) all seem to only
run in full screen (non-presentation manager) mode.  The only thing that
seems to run in PM mode is SideKick for PM which was bundled with OS/2.

The DOS emulation Window is poorly implemented and not very useful.

Given all the shortcomings of this version of OS/2, I'm about ready to dump
it off of my hard disk and go back to DOS 4.01 and Windows/386.

Anyone out there actually doing productive things with OS/2?  If so, I'd
like to hear what you are doing.  I'm ready to give OS/2 a chance, but
personally, I'd prefer a UNIX system of any flavor over OS/2...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

root@mustang.dell.com (0000-Admin(0000)) (10/19/89)

Actually, I have been using OS/2 1.1 quite a bit, and had good luck with
it so far.  Sidekick is one PM app, but there are others out there.  I
personally do not like Sidekick for PM anyway, but so much for personal
opinions.

I have been using Excel for PM, and I think it is excellent, possibly even
better than the DOS version, in functionality as well as graphics support.

I recently got Brief for OS/2, and it is also very good.  One of my
favorite applications is Tickler/2, which as far as I know does not have PM
support, but it will pop up on top of a PM app, and is the best reminder/
calendar program I have seen.  Paradox OS/2 is a favorite as well, but again
not PM yet.  I usually run most apps in a Text window under PM and get
around this anyway.

There are quite a few nice Public Domain and shareware OS/2 programs
starting to show up now.

I recently began evaluating a product called ProPascal from Prosper
Software, and it seems to be well implemented, although I prefer C programs
especially with the OS/2 environment.

James R. Howard
Dell Computer Corporation  P#: (512) 343-3480
9505 Arboretum Blvd.	   !s: cs.utexas.edu!dell!mustang!jrh
Austin, Texas 78759

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (10/19/89)

I have enjoyed using OS/2 1.1 EE but wish there were more applications
available.  I really like the user interface and am using the "DOS box"
less and less.

Regarding SideKick, have any other users noticed some bugs?  First of all,
when I installed it, I had commented out in my CONFIG.SYS a line with
my DLL library path.  SideKick ended up seeing this REMed out line (which
appears immediately before the "real" line) and modified it with the
SideKick DLL files and killing the next line, thus corrupting the file and
making OS/2 unbootable!  Luckily I figured out what went wrong and was able
to correct the problem.  In using the product, occasionally notes that I
associate with appointments disappear or are badly truncated.  Last night,
for example, I modified an existing note, saved it, and later referred to
it again, but it was mostly gone!

Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

mikec@ux1.lbl.gov (Mike Chin) (10/19/89)

We've also used PM Excel, DDE'ing to custom hardware,
it looks neat, but the guy doing the coding for the
server says it's difficult to debug using SPY and CVP.
He's started using the Logitech Debugger with some
positive results, it's not a panacea.

I'm using an 8514 display, and the mep editor that comes
with the SDK suits me fine; I usually have an OS2 text window
with mep (often split), another one with QHelp, and a CVP
window (full screen text only, I'm afraid, for PM apps). People
are aware that in order to run OS2 apps inside of a text window
(so it doesn't flip to full screen) you have to "markexe" it
as WINDOWCOMPAT, right?

Have people been doing any benchmarking? My waveform animation
apps run about 1/2 speed that of Win386 versions. We've recently
been playing with os2 v1.2, it's got a command history, a PM
version of the System Editor, nicer desktop and icons, but I've
discovered some weird behaviour running apps made with the 1.1
SDK, the only one we have so far... Anybody have the real
1.2 SDK?

Mike Chin
Lawrence Berkeley Labs
MJChin@lbl.gov

ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) (10/19/89)

   As a 1-month veteran of OS/2, I'm still trying to gather the critical mass
of applications I need to totally drop the DOS box (which i'll probably keep
around for occasional games, in any case).  Even so, what I've found really
nice is being able to have a ray tracer (QRT, which I ported to OS/2) running
while I'm also doing a 30 minute compile, while I'm running a communications
program, and not having the communications program (or editor, for that matter)
effectively grind to a halt while doing this (a la Windows/286).  Also,
being able to write a simple but usable communications program in about 3 hours
(with the help of my trusty "Advanced OS/2 Programming" book), and having that
program be less than 100 lines of C, makes quite an impression.
   Right now, if you're a programmer, OS/2 is a ball compared to DOS (and
UN*X, since there are much more available references for purchase).  Threads
are easy to use and much more useful than fork()ing around :-).  Overall, there
are lots and lots of very usable and interesting services just waiting to be
used ( a refreshing change, if you're a DOS developer ).
                                                       --Mike Primm

BTW, has anyone out there gotten 1.2??  How is HPFS??  What other features
have been packaged with 1.2??

bobf@lotus.com (Bob Frankston (BFrankston)) (10/19/89)

I use OS/2 almost exclusively for my work (except when doing stuff
with the Unix side of my brain).  OS/2 Standard Edition is what I
think of as OS/2 with the EE mainly being a set of extensions.  You
should just SE by EE.

There are now many applications for OS/2.  I also distinguish between
OS/2 and PM.  Programs like Wordperfect 5, Word 5 and (of course)
Lotus 1-2-3/R3 run under OS/2 even though they aren't PM apps (yet).
Others include Paradox, RBase, Q&A, Brief, Epsilon, the Microsoft
Development tools, Lattice Compilers.  Most of these will also run in
a VIO window under PM.

PM Programs are starting to ship.  Sidekick is an example.  Pagemaker
works well, there is Excel, the Logitech tools, and DeScribe.  I've
seen other programs demoed including Micrographics designer, Autocad,
and even Ventura.  I don't know about their actual ship dates.

There is also Lan support for Lan Manager (3com and others) and
Novell (also from Interlan).  TCP/IP is supposed to be coming.

I'll turn the question back to you -- what is it that you are missing
in OS/2 at this point.

================

The usual disclaimer -- these are my own opinions and don't represent
anyone or anything else.

osbornk@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) (10/20/89)

In article <1989Oct19.143604.21001@rpi.edu> ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michae) writes:
>BTW, has anyone out there gotten 1.2??  How is HPFS??  What other features
>have been packaged with 1.2??

I'm running MS-OS/2 1.2.  I really like what they've done with the
look and feel.  Task Manager has become "Task List" and is a popup
dialog box.  (Not a standard window any more.)

Start Programs has become "Desktop Manager" and has movable icons.
The buttons have changed.  They are 3D.

I haven't installed HPFS yet but I understand that you want to think
twice about installing it on a primary partitions.  Other OS's may have
problems booting.  Otherwise, it's a speed improvement and lets you
name files Unix-like (but still case insensitive).

My harp on it is that dual monitor support is broke.  No more MODE MONO
or CVP /2.  Bad news for PM programmers like myself.

-Kasey

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (10/20/89)

In article <13220@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> osbornk@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) writes:
>In article <1989Oct19.143604.21001@rpi.edu> ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michae) writes:
>>BTW, has anyone out there gotten 1.2??  How is HPFS??  What other features
>>have been packaged with 1.2??
>
>I haven't installed HPFS yet but I understand that you want to think
>twice about installing it on a primary partitions.  Other OS's may have
>problems booting.  Otherwise, it's a speed improvement and lets you
>name files Unix-like (but still case insensitive).

I've been running 1.2 for about 4 months or so, HPFS is a very much faster
than FAT. And yes it's still case insensitive, probably 2.0 for that.
The only drawback, and it's really no problem, it to do a proper shutdown
of the system, lest ye croupt it.
Like I've told others that have asked me,I droped th DOS box many months
ago(just takes up memory), and don't really see the need for it,
at least for me.

>My harp on it is that dual monitor support is broke.  No more MODE MONO
>or CVP /2.  Bad news for PM programmers like myself.

I run it on a PS/2 and I really havent had any problems with CVP, except
when you get break into a WM_PAINT cycle.
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (10/21/89)

What's HPFS??

osbornk@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) (10/21/89)

In article <3336@csccat.UUCP> jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
>>[I write]
>>My harp on it is that dual monitor support is broke.  No more MODE MONO
>>or CVP /2.  Bad news for PM programmers like myself.
>>
>I run it on a PS/2 and I really havent had any problems with CVP, except
>when you get break into a WM_PAINT cycle.

Do you have dual monitor configuration going on a PS/2?  Running OS/2
1.2?  I didn't know anyone manufactured a Monochrome Display Adapter for
Micro Channel Architecture.  For me, MDA+VGA really beats CodeView's F4.

-Kasey

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) (10/21/89)

In article <13220@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> osbornk@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) writes:
>In article <1989Oct19.143604.21001@rpi.edu> ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michae) writes:
>>BTW, has anyone out there gotten 1.2??  How is HPFS??  What other features
>>have been packaged with 1.2??
>
>I'm running MS-OS/2 1.2.  I really like what they've done with the
>look and feel.  Task Manager has become "Task List" and is a popup
>dialog box.  (Not a standard window any more.)

Hmm.  I'll have to wait and see if I'll like this or not.  I liked being
able to click on the Task Manager Icon and switching to any task, without
touching the keyboard.   How do you pop it up now?

>Start Programs has become "Desktop Manager" and has movable icons.
>The buttons have changed.  They are 3D.

Yeah, both these features are welcome.  The 3D buttons should look good.

>I haven't installed HPFS yet but I understand that you want to think
>twice about installing it on a primary partitions.  Other OS's may have
>problems booting.  Otherwise, it's a speed improvement and lets you
>name files Unix-like (but still case insensitive).

Arrgh! Not still case insensitive.  Why don't they do it right the first
time?   What is the name length limit (if any)?

Thanks,
	Brian.
--
 +-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP: ..!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!brian                  |

pdcst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Patrick Champion) (10/21/89)

	I will convert to OS/2 but have a about 1.2.  I am very used to
Unix Tcsh and the dos utilities CED and FILEC.  Does OS/2 1.2 do file
completion and command line editing on par with CED and Tcsh.  Will it
respond to something like up and down arrows to get a previous command on the
history list?  If it doesn't do any of these, does anyone know if 2.0 might
do any of these?  If nothing else, file completion would be VERY handy when
one has file names up to 255 characters in length.

Patrick Champion	(My views, etc are unrelated to Pitt's of course)

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct19.153709.21567@lotus.com> bobf@lotus.UUCP (Bob Frankston ) writes:
>I'll turn the question back to you -- what is it that you are missing
>in OS/2 at this point.

Good question... I probably haven't given it the thought I should, but here
goes...

1. (Due to my own cheapness)... When I upgraded Microsoft C, I only sent
   off for the DOS version.  In hindsight, I now see I sno}ld have spent a
   little bit more and gotten the OS/2 portion also.
2. (Due to being poor :-)... I bought DOS versions of Excel, etc.  But have
   not purchased OS/2 versions yet (guess I should check for upgrade info).
3. A file archive program like ARC, PKZIP, or ZOO.
4. An inexpensive (read "cheap") paint program (bitmap images)
5. An reasonably priced draw program (vector based)
6. A PM-aware Microsoft Word...

That's all that comes to mind at the moment...todd
--

sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu (Sidney Markowitz ) (10/21/89)

In article <5185@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>3. A file archive program like ARC, PKZIP, or ZOO.

I believe I saw an OS/2 version of PKZIP 1.02 on the simtel20 archive.
(That's on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil)

-- sidney markowitz <sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu>, online again!

jamin@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Sugih Jamin) (10/22/89)

In article <20142@unix.cis.pitt.edu> pdcst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Patrick Champion) writes:

>	I will convert to OS/2 but have a about 1.2.  I am very used to
>Unix Tcsh and the dos utilities CED and FILEC.  Does OS/2 1.2 do file
>completion and command line editing on par with CED and Tcsh.  Will it
>respond to something like up and down arrows to get a previous command on the
>history list?

OS/2 EE 1.1 cmd.exe does not do any of these.  But, Hamilton C Shell does all
of these plus aliases and very much c-shell like scripting. Very nice.  It also
lists for $350.

sugih

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (10/22/89)

In article <13270@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> osbornk@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) writes:
>In article <3336@csccat.UUCP> jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
>>>[I write]
>>>My harp on it is that dual monitor support is broke.  No more MODE MONO
>>>or CVP /2.  Bad news for PM programmers like myself.
>>>
>>I run it on a PS/2 and I really havent had any problems with CVP, except
>>when you get break into a WM_PAINT cycle.
>
>Do you have dual monitor configuration going on a PS/2?  Running OS/2
>1.2?  I didn't know anyone manufactured a Monochrome Display Adapter for
>Micro Channel Architecture.  For me, MDA+VGA really beats CodeView's F4.
>
>-Kasey

You are correct, as far as I know no one makes a MDA for a PS/2,I sould have
said, I didn't find the F4 any real problem, as long as the machine is fast.

--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (10/22/89)

In article <20142@unix.cis.pitt.edu> pdcst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Patrick Champion) writes:

>	I will convert to OS/2 but have a about 1.2.  I am very used to
>Unix Tcsh and the dos utilities CED and FILEC.  Does OS/2 1.2 do file
>completion and command line editing on par with CED and Tcsh.  Will it
>respond to something like up and down arrows to get a previous command on the
>history list?

It only works with the arrow keys, although I haven't botherd to figure
out the size of the buffer use to save the commands, sorry no file name
completion. I've already bitched, I expect great things in this department
for 2.0.
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (10/23/89)

Why is it that so many feel case sensitivity is a boon?  In learning UNIX
recently, I find it to be kind of a pain in fact - I like the DOS and OS/2
way of ignoring case.

Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

yozzo@arnor.UUCP (Ralph Yozzo) (10/23/89)

There is an OS/2 version of PKzip and it's called PKzip2.

| Ralph E. Yozzo                     | DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed    |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | herein are the Authors.               |
| Arpanet: yozzo@ibm.com             | And are not necessarily those of his  |
|                                    | employer.                             |
| Bitnet: yozzo@yktvmx.bitnet        \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!yozzo  | Phone: (914) 945-3634 work |
|                                               | Phone: (914) 564-4731 home |

yozzo@arnor.UUCP (Ralph Yozzo) (10/23/89)

In article <5185@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>In article <1989Oct19.153709.21567@lotus.com> bobf@lotus.UUCP (Bob Frankston ) writes:
>>I'll turn the question back to you -- what is it that you are missing

>3. A file archive program like ARC, PKZIP, or ZOO.

There is a PKzip2 available for OS/2.

root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) (10/24/89)

In article <1645@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) writes:

> [...]
>
>Hmm.  I'll have to wait and see if I'll like this or not.  I liked being
>able to click on the Task Manager Icon and switching to any task, without
>touching the keyboard.   How do you pop it up now?

Simply double-click any place on the desktop not covered by a window. The
"Task List" will pop up right where you clicked. I think this is one of
the neatest features of 1.2 ...

>The 3D buttons should look good.

Trust me, they do. I wonder if the 3D buttons have anything to do with
IBM buying the NeXTStep License ;-)

--
Christian Motz           uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!nadia!dialog!root
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer         Bix: cmotz

randyd@microsoft.UUCP (Randy Day) (10/24/89)

The most recent version of OS/2 1.2 is case-sensitive. However, many utilities
and other programs remain case insensitive. The File Manager understands
case.

Randy Day
randyd@microsoft.uucp

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) (10/24/89)

In article <DKB.89Oct22174725@anquetil.cs.brown.edu>
	dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
>Why is it that so many feel case sensitivity is a boon?  In learning UNIX
>recently, I find it to be kind of a pain in fact - I like the DOS and OS/2
>way of ignoring case.

I guess it depends on which OS you started with.  I started with Unix, got
to like it's case sensitivity, then moved to DOS and OS/2 as well.

On the latter two, I missed the case sensitivity, which I used under Unix
to impose some order to my files.

Granted, the case sensitivity under Unix can sometimes get in the way, and
often causes mistakes and the need to retype.  I still like it, though.

Brian.
--
 +-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (10/24/89)

]
]Simply double-click any place on the desktop not covered by a window. The
]"Task List" will pop up right where you clicked. I think this is one of
]the neatest features of 1.2 ...

I think this sounds non-intuitive (not counter-intuitive, mind you, just
non-intuitive).  One of my pet peeves about X-Windows was the non-intuitive
use of mouse driven commands.  I hope OS/2 doesn't cause me that problem
too.
--

In article <8154@microsoft.UUCP> randyd@microsoft.UUCP (Randy Day) writes:
>The most recent version of OS/2 1.2 is case-sensitive. However, many utilities
>and other programs remain case insensitive. The File Manager understands
>case.

What driver level is that (or does Microsoft have a different revision level
System than IBM?), because in 12.115 it was still case insensitive and, even
worse, mapped everything to upper case.

--
Christian Motz           uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!nadia!dialog!root
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer         Bix: cmotz

barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) (10/24/89)

We are part of a cooperative program with IBM, so we use OS/2 whether we like
it or not.  I am hooked up to the mainframe via a token ring, so I use the
Communications Manager to do 3270 emulation.  It is better than the old
workstation program on the 3270 PC.  The thing that I like about OS/2 is that
you can fire up multiple OS/2 windows to do things like format disks, figure
things out, and the like, without giving up the terminal session.  This makes
the PS/2 much more useful in an office environment where everyone doesn't have
one.

I tried to use the Database Manager as well, as we run DB2 on the mainframe,
and I wanted to look at the distributed database idea to help with performance.
I found that 60Mb is not enough for serious OS/2 use.  With SAS and Lotus on
there as well, there just isn't a way.

I saw some EE 1.2 stuff at a recent Guide, and it looks like they have fixed
a lot of the non-PM stuff.  Unfortunately, it won't even boot with less than
3.5M of RAM, and won't run very well in less than about 6M.  The mouse
tracking is still awful.  When SAS 6.06 comes out, I think that we will start
to see some of the advantages.

Barry

davidbro@microsoft.UUCP (David Brown) (10/24/89)

In article <1645@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) writes:
>In article <13220@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> osbornk@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) writes:
>Hmm.  I'll have to wait and see if I'll like this or not.  I liked being
>able to click on the Task Manager Icon and switching to any task, without
>touching the keyboard.   How do you pop it up now?

Right mouse button.

>What is the name length limit (if any)?

HPFS name length limit: 254 chars.

dave (I test HPFS)
--
Dave Brown                                       ...!uunet!microsoft!davidbro
Systems Division, Microsoft Corp., Redmond Wa.

grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) (10/25/89)

In article <1650@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM>, brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) writes:
> 	dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
> >Why is it that so many feel case sensitivity is a boon?  In learning UNIX
> >recently, I find it to be kind of a pain in fact - I like the DOS and OS/2
> >way of ignoring case.
>
> I guess it depends on which OS you started with.  I started with Unix, got
> to like it's case sensitivity, then moved to DOS and OS/2 as well.

I, like most of you, (hackers) enjoy Unix style case sensitive names.  We
tend to remember filenames and the subtleties of case.  I propose that a
vast number of PC users are not concerned with the elegance of mixed case
file naming.  I believe it could case problems for the non-adventurous
user who *knows* that there should be a file called junedata where in fact
it is in JUNEDATA.

I wonder if Mac users have any problem with this..?

Side note:  I would like to know the pros and cons for
   application developers under OS/2.  I like the idea of
   compiling in background.  How much effect do the foreground
   and background processes have on each other ?  Are there
   enough OS/2 application programs yet to tell ?

Kelly Grant   grantk@nosc.mil
Computer Sciences Corporation
4045 Hancock St.
San Diego, CA, 92110
(619) 225-8401

Ever in search of the perfect environment...

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (10/25/89)

[part of a list of what is missing/not available for OS/2:]

> > 3. A file archive program like ARC, PKZIP, or ZOO.
>
> I believe I saw an OS/2 version of PKZIP 1.02 on the simtel20 archive.
> (That's on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil)

SEA's ARC is available for OS/2; their BBS data line is +1.201.473.1991.

PKWare's ZIP is available for OS/2; their BBS data line is +1.414.352.7176.

I haven't seen Rahul Dhesi's ZIP for OS/2. I dug up the code to BOOZ
(bare-bones ZOO extractor) and have that running under OS/2, but I
can't find where I placed the ZOO sources to get that running under
OS/2. I seem to recall that Rahul addressed many portability issues
nicely in that code, so it should not be that difficult to get running.

Related to this list of archivers, I got PAX (the CPIO/TAR replacement) up
and running under OS/2 with no problems.
--
lee fisher, leefi@microsoft.uucp, leefi@microsoft.uu.net
{uw-beaver,decvax,decwrl,fluke,sco,sun,uunet}!microsoft!leefi