[comp.os.os2] microEmacs v. 3.10

jamin@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Sugih Jamin) (10/27/89)

I am posting microEmacs 3.10 to this newsgroup because
I don't know of any newsgroup/repository for os2 source/binaries.
As suggested, I tried to contact Rahul Deshi(?) of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
for posting to that newsgroup, but my mail bounced back.
Besides, according to a message in comp.sys.ibm.pc, people are having
problems posting to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

I have zipped and uuencoded and splitted up mEmacs into 14 pieces of
roughly 50K each.  Please read "readalso.os2" for the changes
I made to the original microEmacs v. 3.10.  I used MS make to make
the program.  It runs in both full-screen mode and in a text window
under PM.  The mouse also works in either mode.  Enjoy.

Please let me know of any problems you might have in re-assembling
the program or in the program itself.  As usual, use it at your own
risk, I am not liable for anything, etc.

sugih

nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) (10/28/89)

>>I am posting microEmacs 3.10 to this newsgroup because
>>the program.  It runs in both full-screen mode and in a text window
>> under PM.  The mouse also works in either mode.  Enjoy.

How to get a program to run under PM text windows?
If I compile and run the following program from a PM windows
the output goes to a full-screen and flash back to the text window?!

I hope there is a simple answer to this one.

#define INCL_SUB
#define INCL_DOS
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <os2.h>

void main( void )
{
	VioWrtTTY( "hello", 4, 0 ) ;
	DosExit( EXIT_PROCESS, 0 ) ;
}

Thank you.
--Abdenacer 	(nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.COM)

ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) (10/28/89)

To make a program able to run in a PM Text Window, you have to do two things.

a:  Don't use any of the Vio calls which are not compatable with PM (VioSetFont,
   VioGetPhysBuf, VioGetState, etc)
b:  Create a .DEF file for the program, and include a minimum of

   NAME PROGRAMNAME   WINDOWCOMPAT

    When linking the program, give the name of this file on the 'Definitions
file' prompt (or just after the libraries 'spot' in the command line).

                                                            -Mike Primm

KULOKARI@cc.helsinki.fi (Hannu Kulokari) (10/30/89)

In article <1989Oct28.151913.9659@rpi.edu>, ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) writes:
> To make a program able to run in a PM Text Window, you have to do two things.
>
> a:  Don't use any of the Vio calls which are not compatable with PM (VioSetFont,
>    VioGetPhysBuf, VioGetState, etc)
> b:  Create a .DEF file for the program, and include a minimum of
>
>    NAME PROGRAMNAME   WINDOWCOMPAT
>
>     When linking the program, give the name of this file on the 'Definitions
> file' prompt (or just after the libraries 'spot' in the command line).
>
>                                                             -Mike Primm

Or, if you have the IBM OS/2 1.1 Toolkit, use the included program
WINABLE (which is not mentioned in the documentation). The command

WINABLE XYZ.EXE

sets the appropriate bits in the .exe file header of XYZ.EXE, so that
XYZ can be run in a text window. I have thus processed most of the
Microsoft programming tools, and can now work in a text window most
of the time.

Hannu Kulokari
Computing Center
University of Helsinki