[comp.os.os2] OS/2 LAN MANAGER

lima@nixsin.UUCP (Arthur Lim) (11/17/89)

I've heard much about the LAN MANAGER. In fact I have a copy of it that
comes with the MS OS/2 1.1 SDK 1.05. Recently, I've just received my
upgrade to SDK 1.1 (very late). However, there is no LAN Manager Upgrade
included.

Questions : What is the latest release of  LAN Manager for Microsoft OS/2 ?
            How can I get hold of it ?
            Has Microsoft released the SQL Server ? What's its status ?
            What about OS/2 1.2 or 2.0 ? (I was told some time ago that the
                1.2 is not publicly released, but it seems that many people
                are already in possession of it)
            Is there any public domain utilities that any help PM software
                development ?

That's a long list of questions (apologies for that :-)) I hope to get more
info about OS/2 and it's development from the answers to these questions.

So, thanks a million in advance for any notes.

BTW, does anyone has a copy of PKZIP for OS/2 to spare ? I don't have access
to ftp and the listserver seems not to be responding. Thanks.

Regards,

Arthur Lim  Nixdorf Regional HQ Pte Ltd, Singapore
!usa: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!lim.sin
usa : uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!lim.sin

harish@guille.ece.orst.edu (Harish Pillay) (11/25/89)

In article <637@nixsin.UUCP> lima@nixsin.UUCP (Arthur Lim) writes:
>I've heard much about the LAN MANAGER. In fact I have a copy of it that
>comes with the MS OS/2 1.1 SDK 1.05. Recently, I've just received my
>upgrade to SDK 1.1 (very late). However, there is no LAN Manager Upgrade
>included.
>
>Questions : What is the latest release of  LAN Manager for Microsoft OS/2 ?

	     The latest is LanMan 2.0.  I believe it was released sometime
	     early this month (November).

>            How can I get hold of it ?
             Someone from Microsoft care to answer?  Not talking for
	     Microsoft, I believe you got to be an OEM.

>            Has Microsoft released the SQL Server ? What's its status ?
             I think the OS/2 LanMan SQL server has been out for at least
	     a year and I believe it is marketed by Aston-Tate.

>            What about OS/2 1.2 or 2.0 ? (I was told some time ago that the
>                1.2 is not publicly released, but it seems that many people
>                are already in possession of it)
             I believe it is available from IBM as an upgrade.  Alternatively
	     if you are an OEM, you should be able to get it.

>            Is there any public domain utilities that any help PM software
>                development ?
             There is a small and growing number of PD programs for OS/2 but
	     I'm not sure if there is any PD PM-specific development tools.

>That's a long list of questions (apologies for that :-)) I hope to get more
>info about OS/2 and it's development from the answers to these questions.
>
>So, thanks a million in advance for any notes.

 You're welcome.

>BTW, does anyone has a copy of PKZIP for OS/2 to spare ? I don't have access
>to ftp and the listserver seems not to be responding. Thanks.

 I'll e-mail PKZIP to you.

>Regards,
>
>--
>Arthur Lim  Nixdorf Regional HQ Pte Ltd, Singapore
>!usa: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!lim.sin
>usa : uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!lim.sin

Regards,

Harish Pillay                               Internet: harish@ece.orst.edu
Electrical and Computer Engineering         UUCP: uunet!ece.orst.edu!harish
Oregon State University                     MaBell:   503-758-1389  (home)
Corvallis, Oregon 97331                               503-737-2554 (office)
United States of America
========     'Give a man a fish, and he'll starve for life,        ========
========  Show him how to fish, and he'll feed himself for life.'  ========

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) (11/28/89)

  Ok.  The SDK is no longer shipped from microsoft for the 1.0 or 1.1
products.  The lan manager product itself can be had from any OEM of
lan manager.  There are several offering special "lan starter kits" to
developers.  These include three or four network cards, associated hardware
and software to network them together, and I've seen prices from $600 to
$900 for the package.  (Includes the latest version of lan manager, all of
the files you need for development, and the documentation as well)

  I've given the prices as ballpark figures.  What you should do is call the
manufacturer of your network hardware & ask them directly what lan manager
costs, and what that includes.  Each OEM has the ability to add value to
the lan manager package, and each has specific features that you might
find useful.  We don't keep track of current price or packaging that the
OEMs have available.

  SQL server is a retail product, marketed by Ashton Tate. It's available
from any large software house & many smaller ones.  Call your local retailer
and see if they can get it for you if they don't stock it.  I don't know
of any dealers in Singapore.

  Companies that have offered starter kits in the past:
  Cogent, (206) 453-5799, Contact is Dave Melin
  3Com Corp, Santa Clara, CA

  Ashton Tate / SQL server information:
  Ashton Tate, Torrance, CA.  (213) 538-7345, Contact Gail Pomerantz

paulc@microsoft.UUCP (Paul Canniff 2/1011) (11/28/89)

I deleted questions that were already answered or that I did
not have full info for.

In article <637@nixsin.UUCP> lima@nixsin.UUCP (Arthur Lim) writes:

>Questions : What is the latest release of  LAN Manager for Microsoft OS/2 ?

LAN Manager 2.0 was announced and demo'd at COMDEX.  I am surprised
that Bruce didn't post the version number, but the latest shipping
version is is 1.01.

I do not know which OEMs are shipping which version, though.  OEMs
have varying lead times, depending on their production procedures,
amount of "value-add" they do, etc.

>            How can I get hold of it ?

From a LAN Manager OEM.  Since I don't have the full list and
can't appear partial, I can't give you a name.  But I am sure
someone else can name one or more ...

Paul Canniff / LAN Manager Developer

DISCLAIMER:  I work for Microsoft.  But this is my own personal opinion.
The text above, I mean, not that I work for them, which I can probably
prove.