[comp.os.os2] Presentation Manager Groups

df@cs.purdue.EDU (dan) (11/16/89)

    Need some help everyone.  The company I am working for is ready to
    start selling a PM app.  In the installtion of the program, we
    would like to create a new group under the Start Programs window
    that contains our program.  I know Excel does it.  If anyone has
    any ideas or code they would like to share, I would really
    appreciate it.

      Tony Vollmer
      CAPSCO PALLM SYSTEMS

(thanks from me, too)

--

dan
df@medusa.cs.purdue.edu

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (11/19/89)

In article <8647@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, df@cs.purdue.edu asks how
to add an application to the PM Start Programs window.

I'm a novice at PM programming, but I think you should be looking
at APIs like WinQueryProgramTitles() and WinAddProgram(); look
at the stuff in the PM include files in the section #ifdefed via
INCL_WINPROGRAMLIST. Hope this helps.
--
lee fisher, leefi@microsoft.uu.net, leefi%microsoft@uw-beaver.mil
{uw-beaver,decvax,decwrl,fluke,intelca,sco,sun,uunet}!microsoft!leefi

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (11/24/89)

In article <repost8647@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> df@cs.purdue.EDU (dan) writes:
>    Need some help everyone.  The company I am working for is ready to
>    start selling a PM app.  In the installtion of the program, we
>    would like to create a new group under the Start Programs window
>    that contains our program.  I know Excel does it.  If anyone has
>    any ideas or code they would like to share, I would really
>    appreciate it.
>
>      Tony Vollmer
>      CAPSCO PALLM SYSTEMS

The information about programs to offer in the start programs window is
hold in OS2.INI. There are API functions to write and read from this
file (I do not have all their names in mind). Use the INIEDIT program
from the SDK samples to take a look at OS2.INI and to get the structure
of the entries to create.

Kai Uwe Rommel
Munich

ml@datlog.co.uk ( Martyn Legge ) (12/05/89)

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:

>In article <repost8647@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> df@cs.purdue.EDU (dan) writes:
>>    Need some help everyone.  The company I am working for is ready to
>>    start selling a PM app.  In the installtion of the program, we
>>    would like to create a new group under the Start Programs window
>>    that contains our program.  I know Excel does it.  If anyone has
>>    any ideas or code they would like to share, I would really
>>    appreciate it.
>>
>>      Tony Vollmer
>>      CAPSCO PALLM SYSTEMS

>The information about programs to offer in the start programs window is
>hold in OS2.INI. There are API functions to write and read from this
>file (I do not have all their names in mind). Use the INIEDIT program
>from the SDK samples to take a look at OS2.INI and to get the structure
>of the entries to create.

>Kai Uwe Rommel
>Munich

I assume you mean by this the WinWriteProfile<x> API.
This is certainly not the correct way to add new groups to the
PM program starter.

For one thing, adding entries the .ini file using this API
will not cause the program starter to refresh itself.  So the
added applications will not appear on the starter menu until next
time the machine is rebooted.

For another thing you will incurr a dependency on the (unpublished)
structure of a data file over which you have no control and no
guarantee that it will not change in a future release. In the worst
case, installing an application in this way may break the program
starter completely, requiring a restore of the .ini file.

There is a set of API's specifically for adding groups and apps to the
program starter.  WinCreateGroup and WinAddProgram.  Use these.

Martyn Legge
(Data Logic)
an unpublised